Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2017, 01:18 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,440,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
The fact that the speech was so good and the people who came in made it powerful and moving, that just made the democrats antics even more deplorable. Their tactic of obstruction and and demonization will have to change now. Its a game changer.
I don't think they'll change.

They might want to, but they won't be able to.

They're stuck in such a morass of self-created B.S. that they can't get out of it.

To be fair, the neo-con Republicans are like that, too.

The whole country is moving in a populist direction, and the parties are becoming irrelevant.

Trump "read" the country just right.

He's a political genius, if you ask me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 01:20 AM

3,615 posts, read 2,333,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcthunder1945 View Post
Well duh.

Notice how Trump's impromptu press announcement several weeks ago made Trump like foolish... Seems he stuck to a script this time and moved more towards the center. How do Trump supporters feel now that Trump is softening on immigration and illegal immigrants?
I dont think he was softening at all, he brought victims of illegal immigrant crimes to his speech. What republican, much less a president, has ever done that for any speech , all in in his first speech to congress? He also said U.S. immigration should be based on a merit-based system, rather than relying on lower-skilled immigrants. That is completely different to most of american immigration policy in the last 30-40 years

He said immigration reform that would be more merit based and would raise wages and help more struggling families enter the middle class.

"I believe that real and positive immigration reform is possible, as long as we focus on the following goals: to improve jobs and wages for Americans, to strengthen our nation's security, and to restore respect for our laws,"

That isn't softening at all on immigration at all in my opinion, we havent done any sort of merit based immigration at all in our immigration policy since the 1965 kennedy act

Old 03-01-2017, 01:22 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,706,808 times
High on promises, low on specifics. People want to know how he's going to fund the tax cuts, the huge increase in defence spending, the trillion dollars he want's to spend on the infrastructure of the US. And then there's the billions of dollars for the border wall.

My bet is that he will do what he always does borrow money, trouble is when it comes to balancing the books, Trump doesn't have a clue.

Old 03-01-2017, 01:26 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,125,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
I don't think they'll change.

They might want to, but they won't be able to.

They're stuck in such a morass of self-created B.S. that they can't get out of it.

To be fair, the neo-con Republicans are like that, too.

The whole country is moving in a populist direction, and the parties are becoming irrelevant.

Trump "read" the country just right.

He's a political genius, if you ask me.

And Steve Bannon, who is right on board with how this all went down. I was amazed watching an Andrew Breitbart interview from 2012 he predicted all of this. He said the republicans would not win unless they had a candidate who walked toward the fire and didnt apologize. Who wouldnt buy into the name calling and demonization that the democrats did to Bush, McCain and Romney. He said it would take someone like Donald Trump.

Old 03-01-2017, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
High on promises, low on specifics. People want to know how he's going to fund the tax cuts, the huge increase in defence spending, the trillion dollars he want's to spend on the infrastructure of the US. And then there's the billions of dollars for the border wall.

My bet is that he will do what he always does borrow money, trouble is when it comes to balancing the books, Trump doesn't have a clue.
That remains to be seen.

Old 03-01-2017, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
And Steve Bannon, who is right on board with how this all went down. I was amazed watching an Andrew Breitbart interview from 2012 he predicted all of this. He said the republicans would not win unless they had a candidate who walked toward the fire and didnt apologize. Who wouldnt buy into the name calling and demonization that the democrats did to Bush, McCain and Romney. He said it would take someone like Donald Trump.
He was right.

Someone had to take on the lying lib media and the Democratic opposition.

Playing the "gentleman" wasn't working.

Old 03-01-2017, 01:53 AM

27,159 posts, read 15,330,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
Dictator and chief

Have you been saying "Command and Chief" instead of Commander in Chief for years now?

Old 03-01-2017, 02:01 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,902,340 times
Best speech of his career, barr none. Couldn't be prouder of our President.

Pretty words are one thing, however, and action is another. Time to put those words in to action.

Old 03-01-2017, 02:06 AM

9,727 posts, read 14,273,043 times
Democrats really showed us, again, how obnoxious and rude they are. President Trump barely closed his speech and the liberals were running out the back door. If I were a democrat supporter, I'd be embarrassed to say so today. They actually appeared to be "Un-American" last night.

Old 03-01-2017, 02:08 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,902,340 times
Dems were probably hoping this would be a disjointed clown show, just like most of his campaign rallies. It wasn't, and they weren't happy about it. Did you see the long faces in that room? Did you see that mad dash for the exits as soon as it was over? They had to get together and coordinate their responses and make sure they were spinning the same narrative.

Trump, for once, was articulate, and communicated a smart, decisive, and reasonable agenda and path forward,

I hope he keeps this up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies