Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2017, 05:02 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,303,303 times

Advertisements

CNN polls are valid. Noted.

Personally, I was shocked that Trump read his (presidential/well-written) speech without going off the rails. I have no doubt he'll do something soon to ****-away all the positive feedback he gained from last night.

I'll keep an eye on those CNN polls, for sure!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 05:02 AM

5,472 posts, read 3,235,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
Kentucky has the highest % of signs up to ACA and Kentucky wants to get rid of it
Yes, ONLY because Kentucky now has a Republican Governor and Republican have promised Insurance Companies anything they want if they raise prices and make it look like ACA is failing. People are not unaware of the "why's".

Matthew Griswold
Governor of Kentucky since 2015
Party: Republican Party

Old 03-01-2017, 05:08 AM

59,346 posts, read 27,515,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I'm a Dem and I think he did well. He didn't write the speech but he read it very well. The main thing I don't like is the health care savings accounts and tax credit--how is that going to work for poor people?

Other than that, pretty good. What's he going to do about illegals though--need more specifics. Wall? What about those who are already here illegally--how to get them out.
" He didn't write the speech"

I've seen this said a few times on here.

Why even bring it up?

I DON'T recall ANY dem say the same thing about Obama's speeches, so why NOW?

EVERYBODY KNOWS Presidents have "speech writers".

That does NOT mean that the president DIDN'T tell them beforehand what he wanted to talk about.

And that the speech WASN'T discussed with the president and his staff until the "speech" met the presidents approval.

I really wonder, sometimes how some people have lived to be the age they are. (not you particularly)

Old 03-01-2017, 05:09 AM

19,289 posts, read 17,171,017 times
Having called it a night after the speech last night I did have time to observe two things:

1) Andrea Mitchell on NBC seemed to be chocking on her bile as she acknowledged the quality of his speech. Her dislike for
POTUS often shows through in her reports.

2) The rebuttal speech which is always worthless regardless which side gives it was just the what I needed to fall asleep. I guess
no current office holder wanted to risk their career delivering this snoozer.

3) Now I am watching Schumer who is trying to talk down anything positive that was said.

Time for work....

Old 03-01-2017, 05:16 AM

6,762 posts, read 3,387,652 times
I am a Trump supporter and even I was kind of shocked at how good his speech was. He laid out his plans in a clear fashion but now he has to show that he can get things done. As they said on TV, last night might have been a reset and the real Day One of Trump's presidency.

I didn't expect the Democrats to jump for joy, but even they gave him a few nice rounds of applause. Even Shumer and Warren. If there can be some give and take on both sides, which will be difficult, maybe there is some hope after all.

Old 03-01-2017, 05:16 AM

31,341 posts, read 14,343,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
It's amazing to me that people rely on politician's speeches for anything.

I want to see action not talk, it's why I voted for Trump.

I want to see Obamcare dismantled, and construction on the wall begin, and a big crackdown on anyone caught hiring illegals. Then get back to me.

Old 03-01-2017, 05:20 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,752,329 times
Quote:
***Trump's Speech to Congress 2/28/17***
To summarize:

1. Cut revenues, and then spend, spend, spend, spend.....
2. Make everything fantastic without even hinting how it will be accomplished, or funded.
3. Distort facts to push agenda

Looks like "Mexico will pay for the wall" is history. No mention of it.

Stick to the teleprompter ans speechwriters Donald. Such things exist for people like you.

Old 03-01-2017, 05:25 AM

13,715 posts, read 9,044,544 times
I thought President Trump did quite well. I was pleased he did not bring up 'the election' or otherwise go off his prepared speech. I saw that some 70 percent of those polled afterwards thought he did well, and I would have likewise answered in the affirmative.

I will admit, I rather wish, when talking about the crime in Chicago and elsewhere, that he had remarked "Indeed, just today I signed an executive order making it easier for those Americans with mental illness to obtain guns." It would have, no doubt, been wild applause from both sides of the aisle!

I bet he regrets not saying it.

Old 03-01-2017, 05:25 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,046,842 times
Trump is a pathological liar. This is a known fact - he was less truthful by a wide margin than any other candidate in 2016, and the man has a long history of being a lying sleazebag. Nobody should trust a single word that drips from his slimy mouth, and while partisan Trumpets want to pretend that somehow "optimism" means their idiot in chief is doing a good job, reality speaks differently. Let's instead look at what Trump has done so far:
  • Filled his administration with a horde of corrupt Wall Street fat-cats and cronies. You know, the very type of people he claims he will fight against. Oh, and he appointed a white supremacist / Neo-Nazi (Bannon) as basically the head of national security. Yeah, and we're to believe bigotry doesn't motivate Trump or his loudest fans.
  • Made housing more expensive by eliminating a reduction in the FHA insurance for loans
  • Reduced civil rights for minorities by eliminating the transgender bathroom laws
  • Slapped together an ill-conceived and unconstitutional travel ban that was clearly meant to target Muslims, as well as hating the poor. Because, you know, hating people who are different and escaping hardship is very "American" and "Christian."
  • Created job losses via a Federal hiring freeze and gutting of various regulatory groups
  • Reduced worker and consumer protections via various rollbacks of regulation
  • Promised to squander US tax-payer money on an absurd monument to himself - "The Wall" - which will accomplish exactly nothing
  • Promised to make healthcare less affordable and perhaps impossible to obtain for those with pre-existing conditions by gutting the Affordable Care Act.
Not a single action this buffoon has taken so far is in any way good for America. People by now should be smart enough to realize what Trump is really about, and any short-lived bump in "optimism" after his fork-tongued speech will dissipate the moment Trump takes his next bigoted, stupid, or corporate boot-licking act.

Old 03-01-2017, 05:27 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,046,842 times
Trump is a pathological liar. This is a known fact - he was less truthful by a wide margin than any other candidate in 2016, and the man has a long history of being a lying sleazebag. Nobody should trust a single word that drips from his slimy mouth, and while partisan Trumpets want to pretend that somehow this speech means their idiot in chief is doing a good job, reality speaks differently. Let's instead look at what Trump has done so far:
  • Filled his administration with a horde of corrupt Wall Street fat-cats and cronies. You know, the very type of people he claims he will fight against. Oh, and he appointed a white supremacist / Neo-Nazi (Bannon) as basically the head of national security. Yeah, and we're to believe bigotry doesn't motivate Trump or his loudest fans.
  • Made housing more expensive by eliminating a reduction in the FHA insurance for loans
  • Reduced civil rights for minorities by eliminating the transgender bathroom laws
  • Slapped together an ill-conceived and unconstitutional travel ban that was clearly meant to target Muslims, as well as hating the poor. Because, you know, hating people who are different and escaping hardship is very "American" and "Christian."
  • Created job losses via a Federal hiring freeze and gutting of various regulatory groups
  • Reduced worker and consumer protections via various rollbacks of regulation
  • Promised to squander US tax-payer money on an absurd monument to himself - "The Wall" - which will accomplish exactly nothing
  • Promised to make healthcare less affordable and perhaps impossible to obtain for those with pre-existing conditions by gutting the Affordable Care Act.
Not a single action this buffoon has taken so far is in any way good for America. People by now should be smart enough to realize what Trump is really about, and any short-lived bump in "optimism" after his fork-tongued speech will dissipate the moment Trump takes his next bigoted, stupid, or corporate boot-licking act.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies