Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 09:13 AM

62,974 posts, read 29,162,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchee View Post
I like this idea as well even though I am a liberal and an immigrant myself.

However, I think there should also be a quota for accepting those who have to flee their own country due to persecution, oppression, etc.

We can't turn our backs on these people when they have nowhere else to turn to. It won't be fair to our allies who will then have to shoulder the burden of accepting all unskilled immigrants. Besides, unskilled immigrants won't be that way forever...

The topic is about immigrants not refugees. Why are we the only country they can turn to? I don't get it. We should allow in a limited number of refugees just like we allow in a limited number of legal immigrants. We can't be the flophouse and employment agency to the whole world.

As for immigrants, it's not fair to us to be obligated to take in all the unskilled, poor, etc. immigrants. It should be a world wide effort. How about fixing their countries so they have jobs, etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 09:15 AM

3,458 posts, read 1,456,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchee View Post
I like this idea as well even though I am a liberal and an immigrant myself.

However, I think there should also be a quota for accepting those who have to flee their own country due to persecution, oppression, etc.

We can't turn our backs on these people when they have nowhere else to turn to. It won't be fair to our allies who will then have to shoulder the burden of accepting all unskilled immigrants. Besides, unskilled immigrants won't be that way forever...
Who determines that? Other countries bear some responsibility in making their countries safe, they can't just drop that ball. I think we should first look into why they have so many refugees. Maybe we can help establish a safe zone first.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:19 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,732,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
The topic is about immigrants not refugees. Why are we the only country they can turn to? I don't get it. We should allow in a limited number of refugees just like we allow in a limited number of legal immigrants. We can't be the flophouse and employment agency to the whole world.

As for immigrants, it's not fair to us to be obligated to take in all the unskilled, poor, etc. immigrants. It should be a world wide effort. How about fixing their countries so they have jobs, etc.?

Refugees are not supposed to "country shop" looking for the best deal. They are supposed to go to NEAREST country that accepts them.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:19 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,246,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Hopefully we will start to see that with a shake-up of the education industry. It certainly has been a failure for the last few decades. Improving our educational system will be perhaps the toughest challenge Trump faces.

Thing is, it takes more than the industry upgrading-it takes students that have the smarts and work ethic to take on the difficult majors. We have lots of American citizens in liberal arts "basket weaver" classes in our colleges right now. In STEM? Not so much. The company I work for makes scientific equipment, primarily for universities and national labs. A large share of the professors and graduate students I deal with every day do not have English as their first language. But then again-doctorates in materials science, chemistry and physics aren't handed out like ones in art history or social work. Much more demanding fields to get into.
Let's not forget that many of those foreigners (merit based immigrants) come from places where a STEM degree is FREE. It's just like everything else in the US from the field hand to the engineer. We don't give a damn about our own people. It cuts into profit to invest in America and hire Americans. Greed is our creed. Trump is no different and his "merit based" immigration plan is the exclamation point on that. It's just someone else's ox getting gored for the further enrichment of the rich.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:20 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,122,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Trump brought it up last night, will be interesting to hear more about his proposal.

Many, if not most, countries do some form of Merit Based Immigration. They require immigrants to have assets to live on if they are coming to retire. They usually are demanding on job skills-often requiring that immigrants both have skills that allow them to get jobs in this country, but more importantly job skills that are needed and not being filled by that countries citizens, so they don't take jobs away from their own citizens. Others look for those moving businesses to their country-either moving an existing business, starting a new branch.

Any of those are reasonable goals. Immigration shouldn't let your country become a dumping ground for every unskilled, uneducated or lazy bum that wants to leach off a welfare system. Immigration should be beneficial to the country that they are coming to. Many citizens have no problem with immigration-they have a problem with immigrants that are a drain on the taxpayer. I look forward to seeing what Trump's plan brings to the table.

One thing I think you can count on with a merit-based system...Democrats demanding ID to vote.
There should also be a MAXIMUM number per year. Otherwise, we would allow anyone with enough money to come here.
Money doesn't equate to patriotism.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:25 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,697,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Merit based immigration is swamp speak for more H1b visas who will eventually be allowed to stay. We don't need more immigrants, we need better education.
If that's the temporary visa, I think it's okay. That's how it used to work. They could come here for a few months and work in the fields. They didn't take any jobs away, their employer housed and fed them. Then they went home. Hopefully the money they took home with them went towards improved their county a little bit.

Education--we need retraining of people whose jobs are out of date. As for higher education, why are they majoring in art and archaeology? Are they nuts??? Even when I went to college we weren't allowed to major in those fields--because THERE ARE NO JOBS IN THOSE FIELDS. It's always been that way--who on earth is telling these kids to waste their money? We weren't allowed to do that.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:25 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,713,034 times
How many of you are familiar with immigration law or know someone who went thru the immigration process? Do you think people just walk in to USA (ok minus the illegal immigrants, I am talking about legal immigration). Do you think people hop on plane and land in USA and become legal.

We already have many of the things people talk about in place. We have skill migration and converting an H1 visa to citizenship is a very long process. Takes over decade and one must be employed the entire time. Talk to an skill immigrant and ask them of their opinion

The family reunification as someone mentioned takes over 12 years with thousands of dollar spent plus the family that brings them here covers all finance.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:27 AM

18,561 posts, read 7,378,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Merit based immigration is swamp speak for more H1b visas who will eventually be allowed to stay. We don't need more immigrants, we need better education.
And we need to incentivize education by letting kids know their knowledge and credentials won't be devalued by the importation of people with similar knowledge and credentials to flood the market and decrease wages.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:29 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,510,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
How many of you are familiar with immigration law or know someone who went thru the immigration process? Do you think people just walk in to USA (ok minus the illegal immigrants, I am talking about legal immigration). Do you think people hop on plane and land in USA and become legal.

We already have many of the things people talk about in place. We have skill migration and converting an H1 visa to citizenship is a very long process. Takes over decade and one must be employed the entire time. Talk to an skill immigrant and ask them of their opinion

The family reunification as someone mentioned takes over 12 years with thousands of dollar spent plus the family that brings them here covers all finance.
And yet despite all the vetting we have a 72% rate of legal immigrants on some type of welfare.

Report: America attracting poor, uneducated immigrants | Washington Examiner

This is what needs to change. Now.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:29 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,697,006 times
https://www.uscis.gov/

That's the US immigration site. Some people need to read it instead of deciding we don't already have an immigration system. It's VERY expensive to get into the USA and complicated.

The problem is that so many people just turn their heads and look the other way when people thumb their noses at the rules. The rules are there. Enforce them.

Read about green cards and how hard it is to get one. Green card=legal permanent resident.
Nobody has to make this up--it has been the law for a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies