Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2017, 05:42 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,651,734 times

Advertisements

You people voted the orange one in!

6,393 posts, read 4,112,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I am tired of this "who's insured?" stupid ass statistic.

Being insured does not mean you have access to health care.
You might have access to overpriced CRAP, but that doesn't mean you have access to health care providers or facilities.

Why don't people understand that?

There needs to be a better benchmark.

Being "insured" for the last couple of years has been virtually MEANINGLESS to my family...besides being out $1000 a month in premiums.
I keep hearing these large figures for health care premiums.

My partner and I have the best coverage. And I pay roughly about $150/month for both of us. I can't imagine having to pay $1000/month for healthcare coverage.

Is there really any truth to these insanely high premiums?

79,914 posts, read 44,174,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
My intolerance of lower income people is equally astonishing.

If they can afford tattoos, they can afford health plan coverage.
How do you feel about vast generalizations?

12,954 posts, read 13,667,161 times
Seeing as how the insurance companies cleaned up on Obamacare, Ryan had better wait to see if they want this or not. Nobody else matters.

Old 03-13-2017, 05:43 PM

1,978 posts, read 1,552,127 times
The more they worry about who is going to lose coverage or whatnot, the more in twined the government will be in the health care business. Oh Lord, this won't end well!

Old 03-13-2017, 05:44 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,669,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I am tired of this "who's insured?" stupid ass statistic.

Being insured does not mean you have access to health care.
You might have access to overpriced CRAP, but that doesn't mean you have access to health care providers or facilities.

Why don't people understand that?

There needs to be a better benchmark.

Being "insured" for the last couple of years has been virtually MEANINGLESS to my family...besides being out $1000 a month in premiums.
So instead of trying to improve the ACA your answer to them is they should have no insurance instead?

Old 03-13-2017, 05:45 PM

1,295 posts, read 2,509,120 times
This whole charade isn't about insuring people. It's about destroying the legacy of a president who actually cares about people (Obama). Republicans would let people die just to get back at the most decent President we've had in recent memory. Where I come from that's considered evil.

Old 03-13-2017, 05:47 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,601,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
That's.. a joke, right? Sarcasm? Haha, very funny?

My OOP for 6 months of cancer treatment was more than my entire year's take home salary - and I had only been in my first post-college career job for 4 months. I only got by because I had built up a lot of credit, had some savings that were completely wiped out, and was able to work full time with a lot of slack given to me by my employer.

As a single renter with no family to help, what do you think would have happened to me if I had lost my job? Or been diagnosed in the few months between when I graduated and found a job with benefits? I would have lost EVERYTHING. And not only would I have lost everything, but I wouldn't even be able to start again. What landlord would take an application from someone with no money and trashed credit? How would I apply for a loan to get my first car, which I needed to get to treatments?

In the real world, people lose EVERYTHING because they get sick every single day.
First, if you were to lose your job, you'd be eligible for Medicaid. Additionally, for debts owed, bankruptcy allows most people to keep their homes and other assets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Your insensitivity to lower income people is astonishing.
Sorry, but every able-bodied person can afford to pay 10% of their income to pay for their healthcare.

Sure, it will make things tougher, but 10% is certainly worth your health, correct?

Old 03-13-2017, 05:49 PM

18,453 posts, read 7,083,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
House Speaker Paul D. Ryan’s proposal to revise the Affordable Care Act would lower the number of Americans with health insurance by 24 million while reducing the federal deficit by $337 billion by 2026, congressional budget analysts said Monday.

According to a Congressional Budget Office projection, 14 million fewer people would have health insurance next year alone. Premiums would be 15 percent to 20 percent higher in the first year compared with the Affordable Care Act and 10 percent lower on average after 2026. By and large, older Americans would pay “substantially” more and younger Americans less, the report said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/power...=.aac2d8bb1b44

Ummm....well when you consider that probably not an insignificant number of the "20 million" who supposedly gained coverage under Obamacare were young healthy people who didn't want or need health insurance in the first place, but had to buy coverage due to the mandate....

It's pretty predictable that a lot of people will lose coverage when they are no longer required by law to have it.

Old 03-13-2017, 05:56 PM

35,683 posts, read 21,035,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
And how many of those 24 million don't want it in the first place?
probably not the million who do want it... and now cannot ever afford it. PS ~~talk of old geezers paying 25% more for theirs... wait until they start throwing their walkers at the representatives for real-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies