Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2017, 04:07 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,542,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
We need to move towards an optional Medicare for All system that would cover every citizen at any age regardless of where they live. That's the only way this debate is going to go away.
It won't happen with the republicans. They had years to come up with something and this is what they came up with.

Old 03-13-2017, 04:08 PM

4,204 posts, read 2,343,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
ER's don't treat cancer, diabetes, heart disease, lung diseases, Parkinsons, kidney disease, Crohns, ongoing treatments/therapy ... etc...

First off, among the purported 20 million who obtained health insurance through the ACA, 16 million are on Medicaid, and if ACA were repealed today, they’d still be on Medicaid. Also, of those 16 million, approximately 75% qualified for Medicaid before the ACA. The only reason they didn’t have Medicaid before the ACA was because they hadn’t applied for it. They had no healthcare needs and only applied after the ACA because of the proposed penalty. Among the nearly 5 million who have subsidized private insurance through the ACA, they have insurance plans with $6,000 deductibles.
These people are the poor and don’t even have a net worth of $6,000. It would
make more sense for these patients to stop wasting their money on their portion
of the insurance premiums and have no insurance. They could pay cash for their
healthcare needs and if they have a catastrophic illness, apply for Medicaid.

It's time to stop the lies. Obamacare is the biggest lie and POS forced
on us. We need to demand ALL citizens including those in the
government participate in the same plan.

Old 03-13-2017, 04:09 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,542,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by East of the River View Post
Except those freebie emergency cost the system a fortune. Putting them on subsidized insurance was cheaper then waiting for them to have a heart attack then treating them.
Exactly!

Old 03-13-2017, 04:10 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,082,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
I scanned the first and last page of this thread and immediately lost interest in reading the whole thing.

You ask the right question though. What this administration is trying to sell ain't gonna cut it. I was watching Fox - blather about not paying any more than Obamacare, uninsured #s going from 28 to 56 million, prices increasing 15-20% next year but dropping 10% by 2026. No. Just...........no.

This administration has the brightest minds in the entire world at its disposal. The GOP rambled on for seven years about their replacement programs. Fix it! Or don't fix it. Solve the problem or shut up about the problem. But don't ram something down our throats that just further complicates the issue, doesn't solve the problem, and lives on promises about how much we'll save in 9 years.

It doesn't matter anymore that Obama created this cluster f*ck. He's gone. He left this mess in his wake. Trump and the GOP promised they would fix it. Whatever they come up with, they now OWN it.

GOP - Work the problem or shut up.
The GOP is doing this because they promised their supporters for the last six years that they would. They never had a plan of any kind--that much is obvious by this piece of crap they just rolled out. So they're going to push this through, merely so they can point to it and say, "See? We kept our promise. We destroyed the ACA."

They believe if they don't do this, their supporters will make them pay in 2018. But they have failed to take into account that the very people they are hurting with this crap are those same supporters, who will probably make them pay in 2018.

They should have made the fixes to the ACA that were necessary and not messed with it until the had a real plan to replace it. But then, after six years, it's obvious that was never going to happen.

On the plus side, Paul Ryan is more than satisfied with the CBO scoring, because it lowers taxes on the wealthy. He never cared about the uninsured to begin with, so he's happy, at least.

Old 03-13-2017, 04:10 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetosave View Post
I have an unemployed friend had a huge headache, collapsed at home with brain tumor. Medicaid paid for 3 years of chemo so far. He had an emergency surgery. .. nobody was going to let him die. Been 3 years of treatment, hasnt been able to work. Has not even paid a cent. He just signed up for Medicaid after the first emergency surgery.
You're talking about Medicaid - not everyone qualifies for it. I didn't. Maybe you think I should have dropped my hours in order to qualify for Medicaid when I was denied insurance, like so many of my friends who chronic illness had to do before the ACA because they were not offered insurance through an employer and could not get it through the private market? Why would we want people to work when the only way they had access to healthcare was through Medicaid!

My mom was working full time the whole time my dad wasn't able to regularly afford his insulin. Her employer didn't offer insurance and neither of them could get insurance on the private market. The medical bills piled up, so my dad couldn't afford dental work and is missing a few teeth making his previous job in sales impossible, not to mention the permanent and severe pain and muscle weakness he has due to irreversible neuropathy. EVEN WITH ALL OF THAT my parents did not qualify for Medicaid. They were too proud for my mom to quit her job in order to qualify. They should have.

Old 03-13-2017, 04:14 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,666,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetosave View Post
First off, among the purported 20 million who obtained health insurance through the ACA, 16 million are on Medicaid, and if ACA were repealed today, they’d still be on Medicaid. Also, of those 16 million, approximately 75% qualified for Medicaid before the ACA. The only reason they didn’t have Medicaid before the ACA was because they hadn’t applied for it. They had no healthcare needs and only applied after the ACA because of the proposed penalty. Among the nearly 5 million who have subsidized private insurance through the ACA, they have insurance plans with $6,000 deductibles.
These people are the poor and don’t even have a net worth of $6,000. It would
make more sense for these patients to stop wasting their money on their portion
of the insurance premiums and have no insurance. They could pay cash for their
healthcare needs and if they have a catastrophic illness, apply for Medicaid.

It's time to stop the lies. Obamacare is the biggest lie and POS forced
on us. We need to demand ALL citizens including those in the
government participate in the same plan.
I quoted you on this earlier. You need to quit passing this text above off as if you wrote it and attribute it to it's source, Dr. Gerard Gianoli, who was quoted in a Breitbart article. I believe you are violating a TOS by not citing your source and passing it off as your own comment.

Old 03-13-2017, 04:16 PM

4,204 posts, read 2,343,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
You're talking about Medicaid - not everyone qualifies for it. I didn't. Maybe you think I should have dropped my hours in order to qualify for Medicaid when I was denied insurance, like so many of my friends who chronic illness had to do before the ACA because they were not offered insurance through an employer and could not get it through the private market? Why would we want people to work when the only way they had access to healthcare was through Medicaid!

My mom was working full time the whole time my dad wasn't able to regularly afford his insulin. Her employer didn't offer insurance and neither of them could get insurance on the private market. The medical bills piled up, so my dad couldn't afford dental work and is missing a few teeth making his previous job in sales impossible, not to mention the permanent and severe pain and muscle weakness he has due to irreversible neuropathy. EVEN WITH ALL OF THAT my parents did not qualify for Medicaid. They were too proud for my mom to quit her job in order to qualify. They should have.
We can't let 5 million dicate the cost of healthcare for the remaining 325 million people in the U.S.

Old 03-13-2017, 04:18 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,959,399 times
What's the problem?

It is not the government's job to make sure everyone has health insurance. I would expect there to be more uninsured under the replacement plan, because a replacement plan shouldn't be forcing people to buy health insurance.

Old 03-13-2017, 04:30 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,027,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
And you believe Rand Paul? If this 'cash for medicine' scheme worked, why hasn't any other civilized nation adopted it? Bargaining for anything requires having more buyers than sellers, right? So how does a person in Rural Kentucky bargain for medical care when there is one hospital and two doctors within a hundred miles of them?

The only way you could introduce any free market economics into healthcare would be if you banned health insurance, but even then, with the degree of wealth disparity in this Country there are probably enough wealthy people who can pay what providers are demanding for there to be any serious price reductions that might benefit the poor. I have heard people claim that since plastic surgery rates and lasix have not gone up like other health care services that is proof that when insurance isn't involved consumers save money - but cosmetic surgery and 100% optional, if I want a face lift and have the time and energy I can probably negotiate a fair amount off of the quoted rate, but how does that work if I need chemotherapy or dialysis?

https://www.publicintegrity.org/2015...rk-health-care

The Myth of Health Care's Free Market
It is now a scheme to pay for your own medical precedures without big brother oversight?

You cannot be serious. We are ADULTS, it's called the FREE MARKET.

Bargaining for anything doesn't necessarily require "more buyers than sellers" especially when an insurance company charges thousands of dollars for something that now costs only $400. Heck some Doc could create a clinic that only handles cancer treatments for that matter.

I just "bargained" for something this morning. My dental insurance has a cap of $3K. To ENSURE I am not going over it, they are accepting x rays from my prior dentist instead of taking one which costs $35. Why??? Because I asked if I could have one emailed to them instead of them taking it. And can I pay $15 cash instead?

I saved $20 by doing this. Their normal cost just went up $15 t(o cover the x ray) which they are not charging for. All because I had CASH. And it was an item that essentially turned into FREE MARKET

Another example. I used to pay $15 for a strep test at the lab down the street from our home. If it came up strep, I'd bring the test to the doctor asking for antibiotics which they normally are reluctant to give. But I paid cash so my lab & doc visit was cheap. Maybe $50 tops for both lab & doc visit about 10-13 yrs ago

I never saw a doc for a sore throat unless I needed to. Now one day I showed up to take a strep test and told it was not only illegal for them to do an independent strep test, but I could not even drop by to find out the results OF MY OWN STREP TEST ordered by a Doctor!
Insurance companies have their place but the free market exists wonderfully for 90% of the population.

Last edited by NancyDrew1; 03-13-2017 at 04:47 PM..

Old 03-13-2017, 04:32 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,471,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
What's the problem?.
The problem is that fewer people will be able to afford insurance and fewer will have access to healthcare. The GOP-Trump plan reduces subsidies and reduces Medicaid funding. On top of this the CBO expects premiums to increase 20-25% under the GOP-Trump plan... and "the increase would reach about 50 percent in the year following the elimination of the Medicaid expansion and the marketplace subsidies, and premiums would about double by 2026."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies