Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2017, 03:59 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,455,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetosave View Post
Nobody is ever refused medical care in an emergency.
I had stage IV cancer. That's an emergency. Do you think the ER would have administered 6 months of chemo had I still been uninsured? (Spoiler alert: the answer is no.) I had just turned 23 years old and several months prior had been denied health insurance coverage due to minor preexisting conditions. In total, 6 months of chemo and related treatment to cure my very curable cancer cost $500,000.

Do you really think I would have paid that, even if I could have gotten treatment with no insurance and no means to pay on my low (but not Medicaid qualifying) entry level income? No. You would have - and situations like that make EVERYONE'S bills go up.

My father landed in the ER for totally preventable diabetes complications because he could not afford insulin for 3 years in the pre-ACA era because who insures a 55 year old with diabetes on the private market? A very affordable problem for the country to invest in became a very expensive medical emergency. He could have died. Instead, you will be paying for him the rest of his life due to the disability he faced because he could not get medical care for a treatable chronic condition BEFORE it became an emergency.

Old 03-13-2017, 03:59 PM

819 posts, read 584,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Trump campaigned on the promise to replace the ACA with something better.

Reneging on a major campaign promise, 40 days in, would not be in his best interest.
So far, I haven't heard anything 'better' about what they are proposing right now. It will hurt him in the future if he has to face supporters (ex-supporters) who have lost benefits. It will be a major talking point for the democrats. Heh heh heh.

Old 03-13-2017, 04:00 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,073,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
Yeah and I ask you to think past your nose for once. A free market driven healthcare system will not work. Because of simply a profit motive. The solution is government run insurance.

We've tried deregulation (pre-ACA). Regulation (ACA). Both times they failed as the free market fails to provide decent coverage at an affordable price. What else is there left to do?
I scanned the first and last page of this thread and immediately lost interest in reading the whole thing.

You ask the right question though. What this administration is trying to sell ain't gonna cut it. I was watching Fox - blather about not paying any more than Obamacare, uninsured #s going from 28 to 56 million, prices increasing 15-20% next year but dropping 10% by 2026. No. Just...........no.

This administration has the brightest minds in the entire world at its disposal. The GOP rambled on for seven years about their replacement programs. Fix it! Or don't fix it. Solve the problem or shut up about the problem. But don't ram something down our throats that just further complicates the issue, doesn't solve the problem, and lives on promises about how much we'll save in 9 years.

It doesn't matter anymore that Obama created this cluster f*ck. He's gone. He left this mess in his wake. Trump and the GOP promised they would fix it. Whatever they come up with, they now OWN it.

GOP - Work the problem or shut up.

Old 03-13-2017, 04:01 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,082,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk2 View Post
So far, I haven't heard anything 'better' about what they are proposing right now. It will hurt him in the future if he has to face supporters (ex-supporters) who have lost benefits. It will be a major talking point for the democrats. Heh heh heh.
The Democrats gaining a talking point is of little consolation to the millions of us who are about to lose our healthcare.

Old 03-13-2017, 04:02 PM

2,940 posts, read 1,814,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
So it's about hurting people? That's the goal?
How did you even come up with this?

The 300k person will throw away 30k like chump change. 270K is still plenty of cash to live.
The 30k person will cry for losing 3k since that's worth much more. However to that person who makes 30k, their income of 27 vs 30? They're still barely above poverty. You think the 3k vs. 30k has the same exact amount of worth to each respective person? The person who's poorer will value the 3k way more than the 30k....

Old 03-13-2017, 04:02 PM

4,204 posts, read 2,343,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I had stage IV cancer. That's an emergency. Do you think the ER would have administered 6 months of chemo had I still been uninsured? (Spoiler alert: the answer is no.) I had just turned 23 years old and several months prior had been denied health insurance coverage due to minor preexisting conditions. In total, 6 months of chemo and related treatment to cure my very curable cancer cost $500,000.

Do you really think I would have paid that, even if I could have gotten treatment with no insurance and no means to pay on my low (but not Medicaid qualifying) entry level income? No. You would have - and situations like that make EVERYONE'S bills go up.

My father landed in the ER for totally preventable diabetes complications because he could not afford insulin for 3 years in the pre-ACA era because who insures a 55 year old with diabetes on the private market? A very affordable problem for the country to invest in became a very expensive medical emergency. He could have died. Instead, you will be paying for him the rest of his life due to the disability he faced because he could not get medical care for a treatable chronic condition BEFORE it became an emergency.
I have an unemployed friend had a huge headache, collapsed at home with brain tumor. Medicaid paid for 3 years of chemo so far. He had an emergency surgery. .. nobody was going to let him die. Been 3 years of treatment, hasnt been able to work. Has not even paid a cent. He just signed up for Medicaid after the first emergency surgery.

Old 03-13-2017, 04:03 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
It doesn't matter anymore that Obama created this cluster f*ck. He's gone. He left this mess in his wake. Trump and the GOP promised they would fix it. Whatever they come up with, they now OWN it.

GOP - Work the problem or shut up.
Absolutely. They've had years to work up a good plan, and they came up with a giant turd.

Old 03-13-2017, 04:03 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,471,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetosave View Post
Nobody is ever refused medical care in an emergency.
ER's don't treat cancer, diabetes, heart disease, lung diseases, Parkinsons, kidney disease, Crohns, ongoing treatments/therapy ... etc...

Old 03-13-2017, 04:05 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
How did you even come up with this?

The 300k person will throw away 30k like chump change. 270K is still plenty of cash to live.
The 30k person will cry for losing 3k since that's worth much more. However to that person who makes 30k, their income of 27 vs 30? They're still barely above poverty. You think the 3k vs. 30k has the same exact amount of worth to each respective person? The person who's poorer will value the 3k way more than the 30k....
You're pretty delusional if you believe $30k is chump change to someone making $300k.

A person making $30k can afford $3k for their health needs. They might not like it, but they can afford it.

Old 03-13-2017, 04:06 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,455,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
They don't.
That's.. a joke, right? Sarcasm? Haha, very funny?

My OOP for 6 months of cancer treatment was more than my entire year's take home salary - and I had only been in my first post-college career job for 4 months. I only got by because I had built up a lot of credit, had some savings that were completely wiped out, and was able to work full time with a lot of slack given to me by my employer.

As a single renter with no family to help, what do you think would have happened to me if I had lost my job? Or been diagnosed in the few months between when I graduated and found a job with benefits? I would have lost EVERYTHING. And not only would I have lost everything, but I wouldn't even be able to start again. What landlord would take an application from someone with no money and trashed credit? How would I apply for a loan to get my first car, which I needed to get to treatments?

In the real world, people lose EVERYTHING because they get sick every single day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies