Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2017, 08:00 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,755,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Sure, okay.

Whatever happens, it looks like older people will be paying much more and younger people paying less. If seniors are paying essentially 40% more, will they still love Trump and Ryan? Of course they will.

Can't wait to see what Paul Ryan's plan is for Medicare.
Yea, but lets make sure we take care welfare moms and their multiple kids, they don't have to worry about any of this. Oh don't forget we have of illegal immigrants to take care of.

Old 03-06-2017, 08:00 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,771,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Actually no.

There is a change in the age band provisions where under Obamacare, older people couldn't be charged more than three times what young people were charged. This resulted in lower premiums for older people.

Republicans have changed it to a one to FIVE ratio since older people cost more, resulting in more expensive premiums for seniors and lower costs for young people.

Thanks GOP!

We'll see how it pans out. TrumpCare may have upped that ratio, but they also increased subsidies for old people. I don't know the details, but I *assume* the increases will mainly help old people who happen to be rich.

Looking at the big picture though- I think TrumpCare is a good thing. After eight years of raising holy hell... Obamacare-lite is their answer?

It'll take years to solve this problem- but by introducing this abortion of a healthcare plan, they're ceding their most productive talking point. Better still if they pass it- people can no longer blame all their healthcare problems on Obama- it'll be a solidly bipartisan mess.

Which opens the door to single-payer.

Old 03-06-2017, 08:01 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,499,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post

the fools who voted for change, may end up changing address..
Some won't have an address other than the cemetery address.

Old 03-06-2017, 08:01 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,949,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
They had SIX YEARS to come up with something good, instead we get Obamacare Lite and some BS they already suggested. The American People are not going to be happy, and they should not be if this is the best the GOP and the trump can come up with..

Old 03-06-2017, 08:03 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,725,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Yea, but lets make sure we take care welfare moms and their multiple kids, they don't have to worry about any of this. Oh don't forget we have of illegal immigrants to take care of.
Fine get rid of moms on welfare. What about the able bodied that are on Medicare via Disability? The top five states for that are West Virginia, Arkansas, Alabama, Mississippi and Kentucky. Almost 10% of West Virginia is on Medicare via Disability. 10%!

Old 03-06-2017, 08:03 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,347,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
They retain the tax on high value employer policies that has not gone into effect yet. What we were seeing there is that emoployers were just eliminating those plans rather than pay taxes on them. Many who have really good insurance will likely be losing it and seeing much higher deductibles and copays.
Sounds like they were making lots of changes at the last minute. But I thought the so-called Cadillac Tax was eliminated (although the below says "delayed") and that they are *not* going to tax the employer-provided share of employee-based plans as had been proposed:

WaPo (today):
"The income-based phaseout of the credit allows the GOP plan to be funded without taxes on employer-provided insurance that had been considered earlier in the drafting process. In addition, the latest proposal would delay the ACA’s “Cadillac” tax, a levy on the most generous employer-provided health plans, until 2025. It also retains the tax exclusion for premiums paid for employer-provided health plans."

In other words, higher-income individuals who have to pay for their own insurance will (by not getting credits) effectively subsidize those under employer-based plans (who still will not have to begin paying taxes on the employer-provided share of their insurance).

There are always winners and losers. I have good insurance but support single-payer as the saner way.

Old 03-06-2017, 08:04 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,743,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
If that is the plan you chose, yes.

Do your homework and choose a plan that fits your needs. Combine it with a Flex Med or other FSA to pay your share PRE tax.

My point is that it's ridiculous that a simple doctor visit costs that much! THAT is what they need to reform! What physicians and pharmaceutical companies charge people!

BTW, that's the best plan my family can get. AND all the HSA bull****, is that exactly.....bull****! Doesn't work when you have a family to feed.

Old 03-06-2017, 08:04 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,755,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
We'll see how it pans out. TrumpCare may have upped that ratio, but they also increased subsidies for old people. I don't know the details, but I *assume* the increases will mainly help old people who happen to be rich.
omg, your kidding right, you don't know?

You can be a millionaire and get an Obamacare subsidy. It's income based, not asset based. And the rich are good at reducing their taxable income. That fact might be above some people's head. You can thank Democrats.

Old 03-06-2017, 08:05 PM

1,640 posts, read 795,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I disagree. This allows plans to remain what insurance should be for, large cost events not tied to lifestyle decisions.
Um, lung cancer from smoking, strokes and heart attacks from poor diet and lack of exercise, as well as diabetes...the list could go on and on. All based on life style decisions. Try thinking about what you're saying. Reproductive health includes BC and is a major part of a womans health, unlike smoking or eating bacon.

Old 03-06-2017, 08:06 PM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post

Looking at the big picture though- I think TrumpCare is a good thing. After eight years of raising holy hell... Obamacare-lite is their answer?

It'll take years to solve this problem- but by introducing this abortion of a healthcare plan, they're ceding their most productive talking point. Better still if they pass it- people can no longer blame all their healthcare problems on Obama- it'll be a solidly bipartisan mess.

Which opens the door to single-payer.
Two "old" people would get 8K in tax credits or about 1/2 of what it would cost them for a good policy. They will be paying more likely than under O'care though that is based on need and not age, so it's difficult to compare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies