Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Take them down or leave them up?
Take them down. They're offensive. 133 36.14%
Leave them up. It's history. 235 63.86%
Voters: 368. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 02:48 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,726,169 times

Advertisements

Whatever^^^^^^^^^^^
The Pentagon isn't going to change dick. They're to busy planning how to put down the coming progressive insurrection.

Old 03-07-2017, 02:49 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,879,282 times
I think what some forget is that many of the Confederate soldiers also fought for the United States and served with honor. General Robert E Lee for example, Longstreet for another. They are a part of our history.

Old 03-07-2017, 02:50 PM

73,006 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
I think what some forget is that many of the Confederate soldiers also fought for the United States and served with honor. General Robert E Lee for example, Longstreet for another. They are a part of our history.
General Lee fought for the USA at one point. However, he sided with an enemy combatant. That makes him a traitor. Period.

Old 03-07-2017, 02:53 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,638,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
General Lee fought for the USA at one point. However, he sided with an enemy combatant. That makes him a traitor. Period.

...and then he LOST!

I can't believe the people who are obsessed with celebrating the losing side.

Signed,
Kansas (union state)

Old 03-07-2017, 03:01 PM

Back to the top. The vote. I voted "Take them down. They're offensive". I'm glad I did. Confederate monuments should not be put in places of honor. The CSA wanted to secede from the USA. Slavery was a major part of it. The elites who wanted slavery so bad convinced those who owned no slaves to fight for secession. And this whole secession stuff goes further than that.

Go look up Bleeding Kansas. Pro-slavery and abolitionist forces fighting on whether Kansas should be a free or slave state. Fighting for "states' rights" to enslave people, that is not a noble cause at all. While many individuals soldiers were just fighting to protect their land, the cause itself was a last gasp to keep and expand slavery.

You can't discuss the Confederate cause without discussing slavery. Why? Because it was a major part of it. Read the Confederate Constitution. Read the Articles of Secession. I don't see why anything related to the Confederate cause should be honored at all.

Old 03-07-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
...and then he LOST!

I can't believe the people who are obsessed with celebrating the losing side.

Signed,
Kansas (union state)
I notice you're from Kansas. I am familiar with this event: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bleeding_Kansas

Yes, Lee lost. And I for one am happy the Confederacy lost.

Old 03-07-2017, 03:05 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
I think they should go into a museum.

I also feel that there are enough confederate memorials in the south and I'm sure in NOLA itself that removing these 3 men's statues won't mean that all works related to the confederacy are gone.

The south is full of confederate memorials.

Old 03-07-2017, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I think they should go into a museum.

I also feel that there are enough confederate memorials in the south and I'm sure in NOLA itself that removing these 3 men's statues won't mean that all works related to the confederacy are gone.

The south is full of confederate memorials.
Put them in museums. I can live with that. It should be an exhibit on what went wrong in the South. In my opinion, there should not be any memorials honoring the Confederacy.

Old 03-07-2017, 03:13 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Maybe the Greeks should remove the statues of their ancient Athenian forefathers.

After all, 80% of the population in Athens -- the "birthplace of democracy" -- consisted of slaves.

Maybe Europe in general should remove all statues of leaders from the periods of medieval serfdom from public places for the same reason.

Serfdom wasn't fair!

And what about when they persecuted witches?

And where was women's equality?

And what about Europeans practicing slavery in the New World?

And -- wait a minute -- didn't George Washington and Thomas Jefferson have slaves?

Why aren't their statues being removed from public places in Washington D.C. and in the north?

The American flag flew over states in the north that had slavery. It should be banned from public places, along with the confederate flag....
FYI - many Greek/Athenian and Roman statues are in museums and not in the public. People go to see them. There are a lot of Civil War buffs who would go to the museum to view the statues.

On Washington and Jefferson, they are considered founding fathers of this country and their hypocrisies in life in regards to the true ideas of "liberty" are very much debated and studied. Your argument "for" having confederates publically displayed in a monumental manner would be like saying we should go to England and erect large bronze statues of Washington and Jefferson in their prominent squares and public parks...Just like that doesn't make sense (Washington and Jefferson "rebelled" against the British) it doesn't make sense to keep all these confederates in such a prominent place in our public spaces either.

But FWIW, I'm all for having some of them in places that are significant, like battlefields or places where they were from. I honestly think they should have a statue of General Sherman in Atlanta to commemorate his march to the sea. I don't think southerners would like that though. But there are some great historical markers on the east/west throroughfares in the City of Atlanta on Hollowell Pkwy and Marietta Street that discuss Sherman's march to the sea. For the Atlanta posters, the corner of Northside Drive and Marietta was formerly a civil war grave yard! They moved all the bodies/graves up to Cobb County. I remember watching a genealogy program Who Do You Think You Are and Matthew Broderick discovered his many times great grandfather died there and was buried as an unknown person. They discovered who he was during the course of the show and his grave is now marked up in Cobb County on Roswell.

Old 03-07-2017, 03:25 PM

626 posts, read 380,971 times
This is really disappointing. This is part of American history and for the 11 southern states lots of peoples' family died for the CSA.

Looks like NOLA is trying to secede from their history, what a shame.

I hope no other losers try to take down anymore, if they tried to here in Richmond there'd be problems...

Lee was a better man than Grant, should we take Grant statues too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies