Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 08:31 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,851,378 times

Advertisements

Even before the FBI director announced on Monday that the bureau is investigating possible collusion between the Donald Trump campaign and Moscow during the 2016 presidential election, the precise rules for how the powers of the presidency might be transferred – or simply rescinded – in case of criminality or emergency had become the subject of newfound and intense focus in the United States.
“On a 10 scale of Armageddon for our form of government, I would put Watergate at a 9,” wrote Dan Rather, the longtime network news anchor, in a Facebook post. “This Russia scandal is currently somewhere around a 5 or 6, in my opinion, but it is cascading in intensity seemingly by the hour. We may look back and see, in the end, that it is at least as big as Watergate. It may become the measure by which all future scandals are judged. It has all the necessary ingredients, and that is chilling.”

There are other grounds on which Trump might be removed from the presidency. A movement to impeach Trump for allegedly violating constitutional bans on receiving certain gifts – a problem rooted in the president’s failure to divest from his real estate, hotel and branding businesses – gained 875,000 online signatures in one month, said organizer John Bonifaz.

Who’s saying Trump should be impeached?

About 46% of Americans who responded to a Public Policy Polling survey last month, for starters. Public opinion matters because for impeachment to happen, Congress must act, and elected officials sometimes hang their principles on opinion polls.

Only two months into the Trump presidency, we’ve already heard warnings, issued by members of Congress, about this or that constitutional crisis being afoot: Trump impugns judges; Trump overrides legislated regulations; courts block executive actions. There are many opportunities for further constitutional crises during the Trump years, and a Trump refusal to go along with prospective impeachment proceedings is certainly easy to imagine. In which case: who controls the military?

Elections have consequences. Is this all actually just a fantasy for liberals and conservative purists who cannot accept that Trump won?

Reasons this might not be true include the fact of Trump’s historically low popularity rating at the two-month mark. Trump sits at 37% approval, according to Gallup, a whopping 24 points behind the historical average for first-term presidents. Additionally, Trump seems to be flying unusually close to the sun, in terms of his conduct as an elected official.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...istory-process

I am an avid conservative, but getting Comrade Trump/President Pinocchio/Kim Jong Trump out of office, sure is my biggest Fantasy!

He was the least popular President ever elected, in History, and I sure in heck didn't vote for him, I was for Bernie Sanders!

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 03-22-2017 at 08:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2017, 08:35 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,600,110 times
fantasy

Old 03-22-2017, 08:41 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,214,154 times
For Trump to be impeached, he would have to have committed a crime serious enough that both the Republicans and the Democrats would be willing to impeach him. Something frivolous, like what you mentioned, would be insufficient.

Even if they have the power to impeach, and the votes to impeach, and even if the president perceptually committed a crime, they almost never impeach.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impeac...f_Bill_Clinton

If you wanted a Constitutional crisis, and for this country to go absolutely crazy, then try to impeach Trump on frivolous charges.

It ain't going to happen.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:42 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times
Dear Left,

Work on yourself. You need all the help you can get.

Signed,

Everyone Else

Old 03-22-2017, 08:44 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
I am a 3rd party voter, and I think Trump is a disaster, and will be removed from office by his own party.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:46 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,650,476 times
I am a liberal and I am laughing that Trump would get impeached with nothing to impeach him on.

I saw a report today about Trump's advisor who did stuff with Russia 10 years ago.

They're trying to make anything stick at this point.

I'm not a Trump fan by any means, but they'll need something credible to nail him on before they can remove him.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:48 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,220,852 times
Just a matter of time. The drip drip drip is happening just about every day.

So many lies he can no longer keep them straight.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:50 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,123,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Even before the FBI director announced on Monday that the bureau is investigating possible collusion between the Donald Trump campaign and Moscow during the 2016 presidential election, the precise rules for how the powers of the presidency might be transferred – or simply rescinded – in case of criminality or emergency had become the subject of newfound and intense focus in the United States.
“On a 10 scale of Armageddon for our form of government, I would put Watergate at a 9,” wrote Dan Rather, the longtime network news anchor, in a Facebook post. “This Russia scandal is currently somewhere around a 5 or 6, in my opinion, but it is cascading in intensity seemingly by the hour. We may look back and see, in the end, that it is at least as big as Watergate. It may become the measure by which all future scandals are judged. It has all the necessary ingredients, and that is chilling.”

There are other grounds on which Trump might be removed from the presidency. A movement to impeach Trump for allegedly violating constitutional bans on receiving certain gifts – a problem rooted in the president’s failure to divest from his real estate, hotel and branding businesses – gained 875,000 online signatures in one month, said organizer John Bonifaz.

Who’s saying Trump should be impeached?

About 46% of Americans who responded to a Public Policy Polling survey last month, for starters. Public opinion matters because for impeachment to happen, Congress must act, and elected officials sometimes hang their principles on opinion polls.

Only two months into the Trump presidency, we’ve already heard warnings, issued by members of Congress, about this or that constitutional crisis being afoot: Trump impugns judges; Trump overrides legislated regulations; courts block executive actions. There are many opportunities for further constitutional crises during the Trump years, and a Trump refusal to go along with prospective impeachment proceedings is certainly easy to imagine. In which case: who controls the military?

Elections have consequences. Is this all actually just a fantasy for liberals and conservative purists who cannot accept that Trump won?

Reasons this might not be true include the fact of Trump’s historically low popularity rating at the two-month mark. Trump sits at 37% approval, according to Gallup, a whopping 24 points behind the historical average for first-term presidents. Additionally, Trump seems to be flying unusually close to the sun, in terms of his conduct as an elected official.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...istory-process

I am an avid conservative, but getting Comrade Trump/President Pinocchio/Kim Jong Trump out of office, sure is my biggest Fantasy!

He was the least popular President ever elected, in History, and I sure in heck didn't vote for him, I was for Bernie Sanders!
I enjoy all the fantasy posts about this. They only reinforce the resolve of their opposition.

Trump for President 2020. The Perfect Vision!

Old 03-22-2017, 08:52 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,946,153 times
He's not going to be impeached.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:55 AM

28,679 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
I am a liberal and I am laughing that Trump would get impeached with nothing to impeach him on.

I saw a report today about Trump's advisor who did stuff with Russia 10 years ago.

They're trying to make anything stick at this point.

I'm not a Trump fan by any means, but they'll need something credible to nail him on before they can remove him.
Same sentiment from me. Incompetence is not a criminal offense. There is no evidence to convict or even charge him for a 'high crime or misdemeanor."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies