Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2017, 01:08 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,337,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Most of them. It's only a fact because we refuse to hold them accountable until this last election
Nothing changed this past election. It's still the way it's always been. As I said, money buys access and access gives you a chance to influence. That's not an illegal thing. Just because you give money to someone doesn't automatically mean they will do you bidding, but it does mean they are likely to at least give you a chance to make your case with them. Obviously though this will give you an edge vs someone who doesn't even get a chance to make their case. This is why giving to politicians generally works. Donations don't necessarily buy a politician outright but it definitely gives you more opportunity to influence them.

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2017, 01:12 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Nothing changed this past election. It's still the way it's always been. As I said, money buys access and access gives you a chance to influence. That's not an illegal thing. Just because you give money to someone doesn't automatically mean they will do you bidding, but it does mean they are likely to at least give you a chance to make your case with them. Obviously though this will give you an edge vs someone who doesn't even get a chance to make their case. This is why giving to politicians generally works. Donations don't necessarily buy a politician outright but it definitely gives you more opportunity to influence them.

Ken
Nothing changed but people rejected the same old same old in places like Philadelphia and Detroit. Not a huge number of people but enough to make a difference. It's a start.

Old 03-26-2017, 01:13 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,124,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
No, I just kept my mouth shut and watched the idiocy unfold

C'mon you shed a single tear!

Old 03-26-2017, 01:50 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
C'mon you shed a single tear!
Nope, I know, I know... it ruins your narrative. Sorry about that

Old 03-26-2017, 02:28 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,598,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
They gained more and more power in 2010, 2014, and then 2016. They won those 3 years' elections off the promise of passing Obamacare repeal, so yeah their inability to do what they've been promising for 7 years now that they have full control is pretty bad.

Why was this trash legislation the best they could come up with in 7 years with no Plan B?
Well done by you on evading my point, they have only controlled all 3 branches since Jan 20 2017, not 2010 not 2014 not 2016.
Who is to say a plan b is still not in the works?

Old 03-26-2017, 02:41 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Nobody knows if Mexico will or won't pay for the wall as of yet so that argument is moot.
Not really, Mexico has repeatedly said they would not and Donald himself said it wasn't likely he would get Mexico to pay for the wall...

Quote:
As for his travel bans? Well, I guess if one judge shops in the most liberal places one might just find a judge or two that will disagree with the leader of the other party. Legislation from the bench seems to be the "in" thing nowadays.
You mean like the 2012 ruling on ObamaCare?
Quote:
Let's see what the more conservative appeals court says or, if it goes that far what SCOTUS has to say. So again, the argument is moot at this point as he's not "lost" anything yet with respect to this.
Nice deflection. What if the courts continue to rule against it, then what?
Quote:
Third, healthcare. Like I asked before, please show where he said "my or I" when referencing the healthcare plan. I don't disagree there were mistakes made they just weren't all on him.
Another poster posted that so I don't need to.
Quote:
China, well, it's only been 65 days and he's been a bit busy. He may get there and after meeting with departments and finding out information he didn't have access to prior to sitting in the big chair he may find out he really shouldn't do that. Would you prefer he just ran off and did it without knowing the unintended consequences? THEN what would you say?
I'm glad he thought about it but it makes him a real politican, I'll say anything to get elected and then not give a damn about campaign promises. You guys voted him for that. I didn't vote Trump because I knew he was the con-artist he is proving to be as Liar in Chief.
Quote:
First people scream "he's going toooooo fast" and now it's flipped to "he's not doing what he said" fast enough. How's about making up your mind?
Who exactly said he was going too fast? I think it was more so he did as many eclectic orders Obama did if not more. You conservatives *****ed and moaned up a storm about Obama's overreach, what about Trump's?
Quote:
Should we list all of the LIES Obama and past presidents have told to the public, would that make you feel better?
If you admit Trump has lied like everyone else I'll accept it. You keep defending him with strawman arguments and deflection so I doubt that will happen.

Old 03-26-2017, 03:00 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
Well done by you on evading my point, they have only controlled all 3 branches since Jan 20 2017, not 2010 not 2014 not 2016.
Sean Spicer.
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/sp...rticle/2618123
"Republicans don't have a backup plan or another alternative if the American Health Care Act fails to make it out of the House on Thursday, White House press secretary Sean Spicer said Wednesday.

"There is no Plan B," Spicer said. "This is the vote, this is the time to act," Spicer declared. "We're going to get this done." "

Old 03-26-2017, 03:35 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,020,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
He tells Scott Pelley "I am going to take care of everybody. I don't care if it costs me votes or not."

What Trump describes as his plan back on 9/25/2015 is not even remotely close to the the bill that was given up on last Friday.

Scott Pelley: What's your plan for Obamacare?

Donald Trump: Obamacare's going to be repealed and replaced. Obamacare is a disaster if you look at what's going on with premiums where they're up 45, 50, 55 percent.

Scott Pelley: How do you fix it?

Donald Trump: There's many different ways, by the way. Everybody's got to be covered. This is an un-Republican thing for me to say because a lot of times they say, "No, no, the lower 25 percent that can't afford private." But--

Scott Pelley: Universal health care?

Donald Trump: I am going to take care of everybody. I don't care if it costs me votes or not. Everybody's going to be taken care of much better than they're taken care of now.

Scott Pelley: The uninsured person is going to be taken care of how?

Donald Trump: They're going to be taken care of. I would make a deal with existing hospitals to take care of people. And, you know what, if this is probably--

Scott Pelley: Make a deal? Who pays for it?

Donald Trump: --the government's gonna pay for it. But we're going to save so much money on the other side. But for the most it's going to be a private plan and people are going to be able to go out and negotiate great plans with lots of different competition with lots of competitors with great companies and they can have their doctors, they can have plans, they can have everything.
So, where exactly in this did he say "I have a plan, or "my plan"? He didn't. He talked in general about things he wants to see done.
Your point?

Old 03-26-2017, 03:37 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,078,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
So, where exactly in this did he say "I have a plan, or "my plan"? He didn't. He talked in general about things he wants to see done.
Your point?
That's some fancy tap dancing there, jimj. Next you'll be telling us it depends on what the meaning of the word "is" is, huh?

Old 03-26-2017, 03:55 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,337,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
Um, Sean Spencer - you know? Trumps spokesman? - said "there is no plan b".
Apparently you haven't been paying attention.

""...“There is no Plan B. There’s Plan A and Plan A. We’re going to get this done. That’s it, plain and simple,” said Sean Spicer yesterday as the administration, which has been 100% all-in on this bill, tried throughout the day both to project confidence and shore up votes...

'There Is No Plan B': The House Votes Today on AHCA

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies