Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2017, 09:46 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The GOP and Trump have already gone out of their way to do everything in their power to make sure the ACA failed either through lawsuits or Executive Orders, besides he is the president and he made campaign promises.He could make believe he isn't president and throw a temper tantrum or he could work on fixing the ACA.
Campaign promises are not what people, especially in this forum, seem to think they are...

Politicians "promise" these things instead of explaining this is the agenda they will push with hopes of bringing Congress along to deliver something along the same lines. Politicians make these "promises" that we should all know are simply indications of what direction they want to push toward, but then the reality of working with Congress and all the other vested interests in between, and we get something different than "promised," and we act like this is hard to believe. We go as far as to say the politician therefore "lied!"

This too is what happened to Obama. He lied, but no! Obama didn't lie! Obama pushed in the direction he said he would, but then there's what comes out of the Congressional meat-grinding machine, that in the case of the ACA, simply still needs to be improved upon, NOT REPEALED AND REPLACED.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
You can't fix failure.

Failure that is completely the fault of the Democrats.

Not a single Republican voted for Obamacare.

Republicans had nothing to do with its creation.
Hard to fix a lack of comprehension too, but others push forward and make some progress anyway. Try telling all the millions of Americans who suddenly had access to health care that didn't before the ACA that this is failure, then find some cover to hide behind.

Or right. That's what this forum seems to be for an awful lot of people who like to claim falsehoods without needing to account...

Old 03-25-2017, 09:53 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Campaign promises are not what people, especially in this forum, seem to think they are...

Politicians "promise" these things instead of explaining this is the agenda they will push with hopes of bringing Congress along to deliver something along the same lines. Politicians make these "promises" that we should all know are simply indications of what direction they want to push toward, but then the reality of working with Congress and all the other vested interests in between, and we get something different than "promised," and we act like this is hard to believe. We go as far as to say the politician therefore "lied!"

This too is what happened to Obama. He lied, but no! Obama didn't lie! Obama pushed in the direction he said he would, but then there's what comes out of the Congressional meat-grinding machine, that in the case of the ACA, simply still needs to be improved upon, NOT REPEALED AND REPLACED.
Obama lied. I've said that for years. Trump lied and fumbled this badly. He said he had a great plan. He didn't have squat. The excuse that this is all a part of his plan is a joke also. It will not work like his supporters are claiming.

Old 03-25-2017, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Republicans voted to repeal the ACA more than 50 times, each time they blamed their failure to do so on having a Democratic President. They promised that if voters gave them a Republican President they would 'repeal and replace', They now have a republican house, senate and president and they still can't repeal it and even if they could, they have no clue as to what to replace it with.

You might have been able to blame the ACA on Dems BEFORE Jan 21st, but since then..its on the shoulders of your heroes; Lumpy Trumpy, little Eddie Munster and the rest of the crew in the clown car. They hold all the cards, what happens now is 100% their responsibility. That my friend is how life works
Might help to review the history of all the prior attempts for health care reform in this country before Obama finally made it happen...

Bush era debates

In 2000 the Health Insurance Association of America (HIAA) partnered with Families USA and the American Hospital Association (AHA) on a "strange bedfellows" proposal intended to seek common ground in expanding coverage for the uninsured.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor..._United_States

Old 03-25-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
No, he doesn't, and he's not willing or able to learn enough about it to coherently negotiate on his own accord.

As others have said, he's a great salesman but has a poor grasp of policy. So, he needs a strong ally to do the heavy work for him, and Ryan's apparently not that man.
Trump is not a great salesman. He is a real estate developer and now a politician. There's a difference...

Old 03-25-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Obama lied. I've said that for years. Trump lied and fumbled this badly. He said he had a great plan. He didn't have squat. The excuse that this is all a part of his plan is a joke also. It will not work like his supporters are claiming.
Lots of things have been said by lots of people, including the politicians, and what are lies and what are not is something people need to figure out for themselves, but political campaign "promises" not realized exactly as "promised" are not "lies" as far as I'm concerned. I've also said this for years as well...

On the other hand, if you believe campaign promises not kept are "lies," then of course most politicians can do little else but "lie," or leave politics. Citizens/voters who can't separate the facts from the BS are certainly part of our problem. That you?

I do agree that Trump bumbles and fumbles quite badly, whereas Obama not so much, and that's too bad for all of us now. Maybe Trump even lied in the true sense of the word if he said he had a great plan when really he had none whatsoever. Wouldn't surprise me, and again, that was not Obama's way.

Old 03-25-2017, 10:10 AM

4,279 posts, read 1,904,929 times
Quote:
Having traveled to a good number of these countries, particularly in Europe, I don't get the feeling while there, when talking to those Europeans, that they don't enjoy the same freedoms I do as an American. In fact in many ways they seem to enjoy their lives/freedom there better than many Americans seem to be enjoying their lives/freedom here. So just what freedom/liberty are you referring to that either we should have and don't or that they don't have in those European countries?

Other than maybe owning guns. Even with that one, they are enjoying less gun violence, so that might be a break-even sort of freedom enjoyed (or not) depending on who you are and what you do with your time...
Well, feelings are thankfully not a valid argument.

The fact is, as I stated. They are granted their liberties by the state. This means the state can remove them if it sees fit. So if a country decides that it wants to ban firearms, it can, period and there is no argument of right that they can make. If they want to ban free speech, they can (and many of them have done so). Remember, their rights are granted by the government, they can easily be taken away, and JUSTLY so as this is the reality that these people accept from their government.

So at the end of the day, stupid cattle being content in the pen their owner keeps them in is not evidence to counter my argument as "being happy" without liberties was not the point I was making.

Old 03-25-2017, 10:10 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Lots of things have been said by lots of people, including the politicians, and what are lies and what are not is something people need to figure out for themselves, but political campaign "promises" not realized exactly as "promised" are not "lies" as far as I'm concerned. I've also said this for years as well...
Saying " I will work out of the gate to replace Obamacare with something better" and not getting it done is an unfulfilled campaign promise.

Saying he has a great plan that is going to do wonderful things and then not having any plan at all is a lie.

Quote:
On the other hand, if you believe campaign promises not kept are "lies," then of course most politicians can do little else but "lie," or leave politics. Citizens/voters who can't separate the facts from the BS are certainly part of our problem. That you?

I do agree that Trump bumbles and fumbles quite badly, whereas Obama not so much, and that's too bad for all of us now. Maybe Trump even lied in the true sense of the word if he said he had a great plan when really he had none whatsoever. Wouldn't surprise me, and again, that was not Obama's way.
We are still in the wars Obama promised to end. That was 100% his decision. He lied

Old 03-25-2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
Well, feelings are thankfully not a valid argument.

The fact is, as I stated. They are granted their liberties by the state. This means the state can remove them if it sees fit. So if a country decides that it wants to ban firearms, it can, period and there is no argument of right that they can make. If they want to ban free speech, they can (and many of them have done so). Remember, their rights are granted by the government, they can easily be taken away, and JUSTLY so as this is the reality that these people accept from their government.

So at the end of the day, stupid cattle being content in the pen their owner keeps them in is not evidence to counter my argument as "being happy" without liberties was not the point I was making.
Agree with you that feelings are not a "valid argument," not really my argument either...

What do you consider "the state" that is any different here than elsewhere?

There are free societies and there are societies not so free at all, but all dependent on what the state protects, allows and/or imposes either way. The freedoms we enjoy may be viewed as a result of our Constitution, but many of these same freedoms are enjoyed elsewhere as a result of different means, and as such these same freedoms are not being enjoyed just by Americans. All a result of what "the state" does or doesn't do in any case.

Perhaps a bit off-topic for this thread, but consider the following before we get back on track...

Freedom of speech is the concept of the inherent human right to voice one's opinion publicly without fear of censorship or punishment. "Speech" is not limited to public speaking and is generally taken to include other forms of expression. The right is preserved in the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights and is granted formal recognition by the laws of most nations. Nonetheless the degree to which the right is upheld in practice varies greatly from one nation to another. In many nations, particularly those with relatively authoritarian forms of government, overt government censorship is enforced. Censorship has also been claimed to occur in other forms (see propaganda model) and there are different approaches to issues such as hate speech, obscenity, and defamation laws even in countries seen as liberal democracies.

Council of Europe

European Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms

The European Convention on Human Rights (ECHR), signed on 4 November 1950, guarantees a broad range of human rights to inhabitants of member countries of the Council of Europe, which includes almost all European nations. These rights include Article 10, which entitles all citizens to free expression. Echoing the language of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights this provides that:

Everyone has the right to freedom of expression. This right shall include freedom to hold opinions and to receive and impart information and ideas without interference by public authority and regardless of frontiers. This article shall not prevent States from requiring the licensing of broadcasting, television or cinema enterprises.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedo...ech_by_country

These facts/protections are why my "feelings" about how these freedoms are enjoyed by others in other countries is perhaps more valid than you want to recognize.

Old 03-25-2017, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Saying " I will work out of the gate to replace Obamacare with something better" and not getting it done is an unfulfilled campaign promise.

Saying he has a great plan that is going to do wonderful things and then not having any plan at all is a lie.

We are still in the wars Obama promised to end. That was 100% his decision. He lied
Yes. Yes. Wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies