Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 08:07 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,528,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
The CBO just said last week that it is sustainable. The only way it can fail is if the Trump Admin sabotages it – and then the failure is on them. But the idea that a president would make the insurance system fail intentionally and harm millions of Americans, so that he can make some vague point, is political malpractice and should be impeachable.

You can't have a health care insurance system that keeps only the goodies and leaves all the parts that pay for the goodies behind. Do you go to 'buy one, get one free, sales' and insist that you should just walk out with the free one?

Obamacare works by first deciding that we don’t want Americans denied coverage because of preexisting conditions — which just about everyone except conservative Congressman, who insisted on Friday that even that be pulled out of the GOP replacement.

So why not just impose community rating — so insurance companies can't discrimination based on medical history?

That leads to what's called the death spiral: healthy people choose to go uninsured until they get sick, leading to too many sick people in the risk pool, leading to high premiums, leading even more healthy people dropping out, and so on.

So you have to back community rating up with an individual mandate: people must be required to purchase insurance even if they don’t currently think they need it.

But what if they can’t afford insurance? Well, you have to have subsidies that cover part of premiums for lower-income Americans. In effect, Obamacare. If you don't have the mandate, subsidies and community ratings you can't provide preexisting condition coverage, plain and simple.
Or, you bring insurers and providers to the table and tell them to get their costs under control or face more government intervention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2017, 08:19 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,954,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
Or, you bring insurers and providers to the table and tell them to get their costs under control or face more government intervention.
That sounds like a simplistic answer to a complex problem that has no agreement mechanism, no measurement benchmarks, and no enforcement mechanism, etc. The bottom line is that you can't have coverage for preexisting conditions if the pool is only sick people. That's why a mandate to get healthy people in the poll is necessary.

Government has had a role in insurance for over a century. What we call Obamacare is really just regulations on the private insurance industry. The penalty for not buying insurance should be stiffer and the subsidies higher. Good luck getting this reactionary Congress to do that -- which is an easy way to make the ACA better.

Old 03-26-2017, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
GOP won't need to do anything but wait until Obamacare falls apart.
So, you're saying let the predictable disaster occur, then do something? Isn't that irresponsible? That's like watching a blind man walk into traffic and say, "he's going to be hit by a car", so when it happens we can say, "I knew that was going to happen". Until someone asks, "if you knew it was going to happen, why didn't you stop him?".

Old 03-26-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
That sounds like a simplistic answer to a complex problem that has no agreement mechanism, no measurement benchmarks, and no enforcement mechanism, etc. The bottom line is that you can't have coverage for preexisting conditions if the pool is only sick people. That's why a mandate to get healthy people in the poll is necessary.

Government has had a role in insurance for over a century. What we call Obamacare is really just regulations on the private insurance industry. The penalty for not buying insurance should be stiffer and the subsidies higher. Good luck getting this reactionary Congress to do that -- which is an easy way to make the ACA better.
Of course it's a complex problem, certainly not one to be crafted in 60 some odd days and jammed through legislation. That was the same reason for the weaknesses of the ACA, time, it was rushed and with full partisan biases. Obamacare as a regulation of the insurance industry? How so? It seems to me it was an Easter Egg for them, mandated insurance coverage.

Old 03-26-2017, 09:16 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,461,898 times
Smile Shareholder value

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
... like pre ACA great employer coverage will cover most Americans.
You obviously are in a bubble.

I work for a very large company (30,000 employees worldwide) and my health care requires a $7500.00 deductible for a single person before anything is covered. Much more for a family. That puts basic care out of reach. The employers don't care because they don't have to care.

The buzzword is 'Shareholder value'. There is no incentive for my employer to add improvements to this coverage because it doesn't help the shareholders directly.

People like me are not getting regular preventive care like they should any more.

Employer based health care only works for the employed, and is lost with a job change. Single payer health care would not be lost with a job change and preventive care could be emphasized for long term savings. The incentive should properly be discovering or preventing serious health emergencies before they become catastrophic.

The old system pre-Affordable Health Care Act never worked well and costs had been climbing for decades. Something has to be done about it but the Republican party has been fighting improvements for decades, to protect vested interests who are profiting immensely.

The Affordable Care Act was never perfect, it was compromised with over 150 Republican amendments, but overall it was a step in the right direction. Republicans didn't want it even after the amendments, they were insincere and only tried to kill it off.

The way forward:

The best way to improve it IMO would be to emulate the Medicare program. Go to single payer as the Affordable Health Care Act was originally intended when first proposed.

The Republican plan recently defeated was a hatchet job.

Old 03-26-2017, 09:25 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,504,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
'ObamaCare Will Explode': Trump Reacts to Pulling of GOP Health Care Bill | Fox News Insider

Here is Trump's answer to the bill not passing. He is so right.

So when did he realize that Obamacare will explode? Probably when Ryan went to the WH and told him we don't have enough votes, right? Yeah...he is so right

Old 03-26-2017, 04:39 PM

34,068 posts, read 17,088,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
You obviously are in a bubble.

I work for a very large company (30,000 employees worldwide) and my health care requires a $7500.00 deductible for a single person before anything is covered. Much more for a family. That puts basic care out of reach. The employers don't care because they don't have to care.

Shop for a better employer. That coverage is far below the norm. I have worked for employers also in tens of thousands, deductibles were $250 single/$500 family, out of pocket max worst one was $1,400 single/$2,500 family.

I will not work for any employer with putrid coverage such as yours offers.

Old 03-26-2017, 04:51 PM

5,997 posts, read 3,735,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Shop for a better employer. That coverage is far below the norm. I have worked for employers also in tens of thousands, deductibles were $250 single/$500 family, out of pocket max worst one was $1,400 single/$2,500 family.

I will not work for any employer with putrid coverage such as yours offers.
Maybe YOU won't work for that type of employer but many (probably most) just don't have that option. Employment opportunities can be extremely scarce in some areas. You must think everyone can just pick up and move locations, jobs, etc. at the drop of the hat. It doesn't work that way in the real world. Not sure why you conservatives can't, or won't, see that. Maybe you enjoy denying reality.

Old 03-26-2017, 04:56 PM

34,068 posts, read 17,088,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
Maybe YOU won't work for that type of employer .
like any sane employee.

Benefits, just like salary, are compensation. I work for whomever has the best combo of culture, opportunity, and total compensation. I never accept a job without seeing the full benefit package and my cost first.

Old 03-26-2017, 04:58 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,732,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
yes, but if it fails, it fails on his watch he will take the blame for that
No he won't unless legislation is passed to destroy it. The Democrats own that tarbaby 100%. It is their fault if it can't survive on its own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies