Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you for or against Trump's missile attack on Syria?
For 112 34.67%
Against 153 47.37%
Mixed feeling/unsure 58 17.96%
Voters: 323. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 07:24 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,565,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I voted mixed.
  • We should have never gotten involved in Syria. But that is what Obama & the Democrats did.
  • Now that we are there, Trump will need to take steps to deal with the mess they left.
And Trump has totally screwed the pooch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2017, 07:43 PM

26,512 posts, read 15,088,692 times
I voted no.

I understand the concept of striking out in support of Obama's Red Line. Gassing civilians is evil.

However, what is the end game?

Assad is bad. ISIS is worse. If we remove Assad, won't that help ISIS and therefore entangle us more in the region as we will be responsible in propping up the next government that won't be seen as legitimate by large segment of their society?

Why tick off nuclear armed Russia who wants their naval port to stay in place in Syria?

The Obama-Bush doctrine has been to create power-vacuums where terrorist groups thrive (Iraq, Libya, Syria, and arguably Egypt). Obama gave hundreds of millions of dollars worth of military weapons to "moderate rebels" in many countries where much of the weapons went right to ISIS, Al Qaeda, Hezbollah, El Nusra, etc... Terrorist groups are now using US weapons to kill people for being gay, secularists, Christians, Jews, etc...

Al Qaeda is responsible for 9-11, Obama armed them. Will this come back to bite us? How many of our drone strikes that killed civilians will spawn new terrorists? How many Middle Easterners will want to hold us accountable for arming ISIS under Obama?

Haven't we screwed up the region enough?

Can't we cut some sort of a deal to Russia...stomp the crap out of ISIS, but keep Assad on a leash - so we can pull out and they keep their precious warm water port on the Mediterranean Sea?

I don't want Trump to continue the Obama-Bush doctrine of creating power-vacuums and dispersing weapons everywhere...how is this good for the stability of the Middle East tinderbox?

Old 04-09-2017, 07:43 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,638,670 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3uaf1NFxXc

The only people against it are the willfully ignorant.

And there are many

Old 04-09-2017, 10:51 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,853,757 times
Thumbs down *

The only ppl against it ARE NOT BRAINWASHED AND DONT WANT MORE BAD THINGS COMING TO OUR COUNTRY!!

Old 04-09-2017, 11:03 PM

26,793 posts, read 22,567,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3uaf1NFxXc

The only people against it are the willfully ignorant.

And there are many
Why should I trust HIS narrative about "bad Assad" over THEIRS?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rNc82fgvz4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQIrSR6tKJg

Only because he thanks president Trump? How convenient.

Old 04-09-2017, 11:08 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,765,220 times
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment
You realize you are just echoing the current elite media line, and that the goal is to egg Trump on toward more military action and a fresh new American war in the Middle East? Is that what you want?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Sure why not? Maybe his idiot supporters will finally realize he's nothing but a War hawk neo-conservative which they apparently hate so much.
Because... you actually prefer peace to war and want a good outcome for your country? ...and this matters more to you than trying to discredit Trump?

Old 04-10-2017, 07:38 AM

24,421 posts, read 23,080,421 times
I am sick of the way we're constantly being manipulated into supporting action and regime change in Syria. I smell a rat and don't think for a second that we've been told the truth about whats going over there. So if you can't trust what the government says, you're left wondering if you're better off just doing the opposite of what they want you to do.
If Assad did it, then he should be targeted. But he's been blamed for things that the rebels did and probably what other more nefarious groups have done to create the desired conflict. And a syrian doctor that was on the news as an expert in the gas attack casualties is himself tied to terrorism. The MSM let that slip by. Again, we're being played and my instincts are to do the opposite of what they want.
I had to vote for Trump because he was the only choice. He was a bad choice, but the only choice. And his being targeted by the deep state was reason to support him. But if Trump is going along with what they want, that's not good for the rest of us. He got praise by very suspect people from both sides over this which is troubling.

Old 04-10-2017, 07:43 AM

1,873 posts, read 2,408,715 times
I'd want to know what happened in the background, at least with the Russians (aside from warning them in advance). I'd like to think the whole thing was orchestrated in advance including the public postures - that we'd take out an airfield, the Russians would strongly object in the media but ultimately do nothing. The Russian 'violating international law' statement rings pretty hollow in light of Crimea and Ukraine just for starters. Though Syria is a Russian ally, I'd like to think privately they weren't too keen on the use of chemical weapons in Syria either. But we'll never know, and shouldn't. Transparency is a double edged sword, and those who call for transparency are often least able to make responsible use of a lot of information.

One of the few things I agreed with Trump on during the campaign, was for the USA to stop telegraphing our options and plans in advance. And the media has been highly complicit, they're free to ask but the administration should choose what/when they answer. It's not up to Chris Matthews or other talking heads. We should keep all our cards, including surprise, available to play as needed.

Old 04-10-2017, 07:44 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,970,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Well there is that although that is something I think most Americans knew already.

But is it possible to stop being partisan for a moment and to look at the strike strategically? I believe Trump was being tested. At least by the Syrians, possibly by the Russians as well. This is because I believe Assad is so dependent on the Russians (and Iranians) that there is a possible chance he got the ok to use chemical weapons before hand. Or at the very least he wanted make sure the Russians will veto (again) any UN resolutions condemning his use of chemical weapons.

If Trump had not done anything, especially after the rhetoric he made last year about crossing the line in the sand, he would have looked weak and the USA would have lost credibility in such places as North Korea, the South China Sea and Eastern Europe.
No he wouldn't. He would have looked as if he finally kept his word (the Twitter posts he made criticizing Obama's actions). Once again, why does the US always have to pay world policeman? This is especially true considering Trump won on a platform of isolationism and nationalism. I agree with the poster who said it was a show to supposedly prove he didn't have a bromance going with Putin, and it didn't prove that either.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:22 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,447,174 times
I think it was a good idea, but of course it's in Trump's hands so he f***ed it up like he does to every single thing he touches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies