Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2017, 12:12 PM

622 posts, read 410,056 times

Advertisements

I just cannot understand anyone defending or justifying egregious conduct by any business - especially a company like UA that interacts with consumers.

What conceivable reason is there for someone being manhandled and dragged through the aisle of a plane after being ejected from his seat? This is a guy who paid for his seat and was lawfully occupying that seat.

I am far from being anti-business having worked in a senior executive position at a Fortune 100 company. One of the things I realized over the years is that the ethical and professionalism of any entity emanates from the person at the top of the hierarchy. There are multiple issues that can be faulted in this situation from overbooking, not planning ahead, forcibly removing a passenger from his seat, not examining other options, etc.

But the reaction of the CEO in the first communication he sent after the incident is illustrative of deficient leadership. For someone to look at the facts and the video and then send out a communication that states the following:

"While the facts and circumstances are still evolving, especially with respect to why this customer defied Chicago Aviation Security Officers the way he did, to give you a clearer picture of what transpired, I've included below a recap from the preliminary reports filed by our employees.

As you will read, this situation was unfortunately compounded when one of the passengers we politely asked to deplane refused and it became necessary to contact Chicago Aviation Security Officers to help.

Our employees followed established procedures for dealing with situations like this. While I deeply regret this situation arose, I also emphatically stand behind all of you, and I want to commend you for continuing to go above and beyond to ensure we fly right."

Munoz then made matters worse with a later statement:

"Munoz added that when crew members first approached the passenger to tell him to leave, he “raised his voice and refused to comply”, and each time they asked “he refused and became more and more disruptive and belligerent”.

He said crew members “were left with no choice but to call Chicago aviation security officers to assist in removing the customer from the flight”, and that at one point the passenger “continued to resist – running back on to the aircraft in defiance of both our crew and security officials”.

We now have him profusely apologizing after all hell broke loose but his initial reactions really explain how something like this could have happened. Does anyone seriously believe that if the video had not gone viral, Munoz would have given a rat's ass about how this passenger was treated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2017, 12:14 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,293,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
LOL watch the video, a grown man screaming like a toddler, not brave at all. The guy has a history of mental issues. No braver than a drunk who won't leave the plane and gets pulled off.

This is a debate/discussion board thus people are expected to have differing opinions, so no need to be amazed. I doubt anyone posting is a corporate butt kisser unless they stand to gain from being one. Maybe they are using reason and logic as opposed to blindly conforming to popular opinion. Which would make them brave actually.

In this case fault lies with United, the Security company and the whiny passenger. No one acted right.
You have the right to your opinion but you don't have a right to your own facts. The man endured a concussion and trauma to his mouth. I would like to see how "brave" you are after that happened to you. I'm quite certain you would be squealing like a little weasel. I'm a physician. When I watched the video, I saw someone in shock who was behaving irrational which is not unexpected after enduring an injury and experience like that.

Old 04-12-2017, 12:19 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,956,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
How about the CEO give up a bit of his salary? I don't know whether you have booked a flight in the past ten years but you must run your credit card first. Most tickets are non-refundable unless more $ is paid. In other words, over booking is a cash cow for the airlines.
Actually, that's not correct. Back in the days of yore, you might remember that so many flights were overbooked it was ridiculous. That's because airlines were abusing passengers either by offering little compensation for bumping them off their flight when they paid for a ticket. Finally DOT started fining airlines for overselling their flights too much, kicking paying passengers off flights over and over. It's pathetic that it's considered acceptable by regulators (what little is left) to oversell tickets at all. Airlines really need to be put in their place.

Old 04-12-2017, 12:20 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,341,981 times
I think we are all getting carried away. The combination of over booking and standbys makes the industry more efficient and are generally good things with some rare bad outcome.

For years we used illegal connections at Ohare in Chicago with the result that the DC10 involved was virtually always full. Would not have been possible without allowing the release of booked seats 15 minutes before flight time. And there is often a great deal of moving of people between airplanes as the normal course of things flow. It is useful and efficient.

The illegal connection thing no longer worked after 9/11 but there are other such things that become standard practice for those of us who travel regularly.

The system works pretty well. Don't mess around. You can make things worse.

Old 04-12-2017, 12:24 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,437,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
You have the right to your opinion but you don't have a right to your own facts. The man endured a concussion and trauma to his mouth. I would like to see how "brave" you are after that happened to you. I'm quite certain you would be squealing like a little weasel. I'm a physician. When I watched the video, I saw someone in shock who was behaving irrational which is not unexpected after enduring an injury and experience like that.
Where did you obtain the "fact" that he endured a concussion? I haven't seen that reported.

Old 04-12-2017, 12:29 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,971,983 times
Usually if there is a belligerent person on board an aircraft, and he is removed, there are cheers from the other passengers.

Not, "OH MY GOD, WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO HIM!"

Not, "NO, NO, NO, THIS IS JUST WRONG, THERE MUST BE A BETTER WAY"

Not (sarcastically), "Nice work guys, real nice work. Great job."

I don't know why someone would call this man "belligerent" unless they're obtuse, deliberately or otherwise.

Old 04-12-2017, 12:38 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,929,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Usually if there is a belligerent person on board an aircraft, and he is removed, there are cheers from the other passengers.

Not, "OH MY GOD, WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO HIM!"

Not, "NO, NO, NO, THIS IS JUST WRONG, THERE MUST BE A BETTER WAY"

Not (sarcastically), "Nice work guys, real nice work. Great job."

I don't know why someone would call this man "belligerent" unless they're obtuse, deliberately or otherwise.
Yep-and supposedly the four crew members were booed by the whole flight when they boarded afterwards.

Some people just can't help themselves-they will always be corporate stooges defending the indefensible and inhumane actions of those in authority. Boot lickers and @ss kissers.

Old 04-12-2017, 12:40 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,887,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhuru View Post
I just cannot understand anyone defending or justifying egregious conduct by any business - especially a company like UA that interacts with consumers.

What conceivable reason is there for someone being manhandled and dragged through the aisle of a plane after being ejected from his seat? This is a guy who paid for his seat and was lawfully occupying that seat.

I am far from being anti-business having worked in a senior executive position at a Fortune 100 company. One of the things I realized over the years is that the ethical and professionalism of any entity emanates from the person at the top of the hierarchy. There are multiple issues that can be faulted in this situation from overbooking, not planning ahead, forcibly removing a passenger from his seat, not examining other options, etc.

But the reaction of the CEO in the first communication he sent after the incident is illustrative of deficient leadership. For someone to look at the facts and the video and then send out a communication that states the following:

"While the facts and circumstances are still evolving, especially with respect to why this customer defied Chicago Aviation Security Officers the way he did, to give you a clearer picture of what transpired, I've included below a recap from the preliminary reports filed by our employees.

As you will read, this situation was unfortunately compounded when one of the passengers we politely asked to deplane refused and it became necessary to contact Chicago Aviation Security Officers to help.

Our employees followed established procedures for dealing with situations like this. While I deeply regret this situation arose, I also emphatically stand behind all of you, and I want to commend you for continuing to go above and beyond to ensure we fly right."

Munoz then made matters worse with a later statement:

"Munoz added that when crew members first approached the passenger to tell him to leave, he “raised his voice and refused to comply”, and each time they asked “he refused and became more and more disruptive and belligerent”.

He said crew members “were left with no choice but to call Chicago aviation security officers to assist in removing the customer from the flight”, and that at one point the passenger “continued to resist – running back on to the aircraft in defiance of both our crew and security officials”.

We now have him profusely apologizing after all hell broke loose but his initial reactions really explain how something like this could have happened. Does anyone seriously believe that if the video had not gone viral, Munoz would have given a rat's ass about how this passenger was treated?
His problem is defending an indefensible act that was easily avoidable before boarding the plane. Barring some weird issue, they should have known this was happening during pre-production boarding not in the middle of boarding.

Old 04-12-2017, 12:52 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,437,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
His problem is defending an indefensible act that was easily avoidable before boarding the plane. Barring some weird issue, they should have known this was happening during pre-production boarding not in the middle of boarding.
Clearly from all reports they did not know as the plane was already boarded. So, whether it was a snafu on the part of the airline, a communications issue, or something out of their control or weird event as you said, we do not know.

Old 04-12-2017, 12:55 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,283,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
LOL watch the video, a grown man screaming like a toddler, not brave at all. The guy has a history of mental issues. No braver than a drunk who won't leave the plane and gets pulled off.

This is a debate/discussion board thus people are expected to have differing opinions, so no need to be amazed. I doubt anyone posting is a corporate butt kisser unless they stand to gain from being one. Maybe they are using reason and logic as opposed to blindly conforming to popular opinion. Which would make them brave actually.

In this case fault lies with United, the Security company and the whiny passenger. No one acted right.

Bull manure. The only thing the guy did wrong was go back on the plane the second time. Nothing about what he did the first time, BEFORE being roughed up and possibly knocked silly, was wrong. And before you bother disputing that, the UA CEO has already said this is the case, so save me your excuse making.

And there is nothing about being a sheeple blindly accepting being treated like crap that is brave. Get real. Im not positing the guy as John Wayne, but he did have the balls to say, no, your not treating me like this. I paid for this seat, and Im flying.

Which is a much ballsier response than what we are seeing suggested here by some as the right way a sheeple should respond to being ordered and herded around .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies