Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2017, 08:28 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Can you just try living in the real world for a minute and answering a simple question?
Why when no one answers mine, including you. 15 years.....why? What is the end game?

Old 04-14-2017, 08:28 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Remember, they had to LOWER the standards and take high school kids who didn't pass the intelligence test and/or had been in trouble.

Our soldiers (military) is ultra technical. In the end it comes down to how much it costs you to kill or hurt an enemy soldier (or their assets).

According to our own military, the number of Taliban and terrorists killed is in the 25K range. Costs so far are about 5 TRILLION dollars - and so it costs us 200K or more to take out each "terrorist". Total costs cannot be added up for generations due to the loss of good people here - and the other things we could have done with the money, etc.

The cost for MOAB and this operation was 450K per "terrorist" which does not include any more terrorists which he may have created.

I had a uber ride the other day with a fella who was ready to sign up for the infantry. He was scared. REALLY scared.

Yes, I would say a battle hardened Afghan or Foreign fighter blows away much of our current infantry and others. This is not a negative thing. Americans value life and limb and have very good lives. Afghans are going to die soon anyway (maybe at 50). We are attacking their homeland.

Looking at a similar situation - I'd say the Southern leaders, armies and soldiers in the civil were better - man for man - than the North. I'd also say the German infantry soldier beat the snot out of the American....that is, if both had the same hardware behind them. The Germans had a LOT of respect for "Tommy" - less so (but some) for the Americans.

Now - famously - Americans had incredible respect for the Japanese soldier and the Vietnamese also. Not so much for the Italians.

I can't see how American soldiers - by and large (not individuals) can possibly measure up to people who are glad to die. Americans spend much of their time and planning just to make sure they don't get hurt. That ends up driving their entire policy.

Anyway, the point stands. If we want to kill a million terrorists, it is going to cost us 200 Trillion Dollars or about the total value of the USA. We're already a long way toward that being as we can't afford to educate or provide health care for our own.

Note - my opinions about the German Soldier and the Southern Soldier are my own - based on thousands of pages of reading of history.
bold, I think your age is showing. I don't mean to be disrespectful by the way.

An old dude said, former Felons can join the military once to me, I am like, huh? Are you serious?

Old 04-14-2017, 08:30 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,540,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Why when no one answers mine, including you. 15 years.....why? What is the end game?
Yeah, ok.

Do you want to see America become isolationist? Simple question.

Old 04-14-2017, 08:32 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,558,965 times
From the looks of it, the MOAB was employed correctly and effectively. And it seems like tRump did the right thing in this case, standing aside and allowing the commanders in the field to do their jobs.

Old 04-14-2017, 08:32 AM

Because I'm ready if you are. But we have to be ready to be a lot less rich than we are. And believe me, we are rich because of our world commerce and entanglements. I have 5 TVs, 5 computers, 4000 square feet and 3 automobiles. That is rich by world standards (probably not near as rich as many here).

Old 04-14-2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Yeah, ok.

Do you want to see America become isolationist? Simple question.
Sorry, I asked first.........and many, many times.

Old 04-14-2017, 08:33 AM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times
Quote:
Can you just try living in the real world for a minute and answering a simple question?

Are you prepared for an uninvolved America? Are you convinced that a hands off approach by the US would not lead to more death and bloodshed around the world?

I would love to see a world where we don't have to have 11 aircraft carrier task groups on patrol.
I certainly can. The suffering of the world is not our problem unless we caused it. We are, of course, behind much of the misery including most of it in the middle east, but the best remedy now is to get out of the picture and let things sort out as they may. In the long run, Americans like you need a paradigm shift or we will be perpetually engaged in conflict. Come home, America. Stay home.

Old 04-14-2017, 08:34 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Yes, I would say a battle hardened Afghan or Foreign fighter blows away much of our current infantry and others. This is not a negative thing. Americans value life and limb and have very good lives. Afghans are going to die soon anyway (maybe at 50). We are attacking their homeland.

Looking at a similar situation - I'd say the Southern leaders, armies and soldiers in the civil were better - man for man - than the North. I'd also say the German infantry soldier beat the snot out of the American....that is, if both had the same hardware behind them. The Germans had a LOT of respect for "Tommy" - less so (but some) for the Americans.

Now - famously - Americans had incredible respect for the Japanese soldier and the Vietnamese also. Not so much for the Italians.

I can't see how American soldiers - by and large (not individuals) can possibly measure up to people who are glad to die. Americans spend much of their time and planning just to make sure they don't get hurt. That ends up driving their entire policy.

Anyway, the point stands. If we want to kill a million terrorists, it is going to cost us 200 Trillion Dollars or about the total value of the USA. We're already a long way toward that being as we can't afford to educate or provide health care for our own.

Note - my opinions about the German Soldier and the Southern Soldier are my own - based on thousands of pages of reading of history.

well, just because somebody are willing to die, doesn't mean they can win war, especially modern war. Willing to die? lol dumb ass are all willing to die! lol

if an enemy force has no air power capability, then offensive air power would not be essential. However when an opposing enemy force does in fact have air power capabilities to the degree of air parity, air superiority, or air supremacy, then yes offensive air power would definitely be essential to win.

you have a big problem if the enemy can bomb you unimpeded. Extensive and modern AA forces coupled with a relatively low (compared to the enemy) amount of aircraft could work.

Old 04-14-2017, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Sorry, I asked first.........and many, many times.
I lose respect for people who answer simple questions with rhetorical questions. Tells me you really don't have an answer.

Your question is related to all the bombing we do and all the people we kill right? Doesn't that pretty much tie in to do you want to be isolationist because I think you do.

I personally believe you are going to rip whoever makes a decision on anything. Do YOU actually stand for something. Because for years I have seen you make the same kind of statements over and over. Like everyone is an idiot except for you.

So what do you think? We are all waiting on pins and needles here. Sorry for the rant.

Old 04-14-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
I lose respect for people who answer simple questions with rhetorical questions. Tells me you really don't have an answer.
It's hardly a rhetorical question. If we are asked to send our sons and daughters off to die in some foreign land we should know why that is and what the objective is.

15 years......why? What is the end game?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies