Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2017, 08:41 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,540,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I certainly can. The suffering of the world is not our problem unless we caused it. We are, of course, behind much of the misery including most of it in the middle east, but the best remedy now is to get out of the picture and let things sort out as they may. In the long run, Americans like you need a paradigm shift or we will be perpetually engaged in conflict. Come home, America. Stay home.
That's an answer I respect and damn, I think I agree. I've been confused since childhood what the big problem is between us and the Mid East.

But I realize there are power brokers who have huge sway over my life and that oil...they aren't going to let it go even though we probably have more here than they do.

And we are causing a lot of problems from the goodness of our hearts. Sending food to Africa. Well intentioned, disastrous results. Kenya going from 8 million population to 40 million on land that will barely support 8 million. Just one example. HUGE problems caused by America.

Old 04-14-2017, 08:43 AM

57,316 posts, read 26,236,916 times
People seem to have forgotten the lessons of Vietnam and the Russians/US in Afghanistan, we were superior in each and every way except for one, motivation. Fighting to expel an invader makes a far greater motivation. If superior air power was a solution we would have won Vietnam 10 times over but wars are not won from the air, they are won on the ground. Cruise missiles and the recent bomb while impressive accomplish very little. One thing for sure is that they help recruit more terrorists when they kill innocent civilians.

Seems like the Russians are now backing the Taliban, we have gone full circle.

Old 04-14-2017, 08:46 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
People seem to have forgotten the lessons of Vietnam and the Russians/US in Afghanistan, we were superior in each and every way except for one, motivation. Fighting to expel an invader makes a far greater motivation. If superior air power was a solution we would have won Vietnam 10 times over but wars are not won from the air, they are won on the ground. Cruise missiles and the recent bomb while impressive accomplish very little.

Seems like the Russians are now backing the Taliban, we have gone full circle.
We did employ chemical weapons also........

Old 04-14-2017, 08:56 AM

29,552 posts, read 9,733,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Yeah, ok.

Do you want to see America become isolationist? Simple question.
Another simple question...

It took Trump 63 hours to decide to bomb Syria after Assad gassed his own people.

It took Congress less than half that amount of time to declare war on Japan after Pearl Harbor.

Obama went to Congress for approval to strike back at Syria after 1,400 were gased outside Damascus in 2013. Republicans were strongly against and no approval was given.

Now what? Who needs a Congress when we have King Trump deciding all things for us now. That it?

Old 04-14-2017, 09:02 AM

57,316 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Another simple question...

It took Trump 63 hours to decide to bomb Syria after Assad gassed his own people.

It took Congress less than half that amount of time to declare war on Japan after Pearl Harbor.

Obama went to Congress for approval to strike back at Syria after 1,400 were gased outside Damascus in 2013. Republicans were strongly against and no approval was given.

Now what? Who needs a Congress when we have King Trump deciding all things for us now. That it?
Very true, we had no interest in expanding the war in Syria in 2013 and that hasn't changed to date. Sending in some cruise missiles doesn't accomplish much, I don't see that the American people or congress have any plans to send in more troops to Syria. This was the easy part, the diplomatic solution will be more difficult.

The good news is that Trump is "bombing the hell out of ISIS", victory is ours! LOL

Old 04-14-2017, 09:07 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,501,337 times
Yes blame Bush. Blame Obama. Blame Trump...

Clintons ineptitude to grab Bin Laden led to all of this.

Want to roll the clock back? Maybe if slick willy wasn't chasing interns and chased Bin Laden, none of this would have come to be...
Priorities....

Want to end the wars? Get the media and politicians out of military affairs, stop binding the hands of our troops, and worrying about our image to the world. Can't bomb an ideology? BS! We did in WW2. It takes ferocious actions to win. Not rules of engagement.
It took flame throwers to get cave dwelling imperialist forces. It took slinging thousands of AA rounds at suicide attackers-kamikaze. It took bombing German cities with no regard to civilians in the area. It took 2 nukes in mainland Japan.

The heck we cant bomb an ideology. Stop with the bleeding heart syndrome. Stop with the hearts and minds. Grab em by the balls their hearts and minds will follow. In case you haven't noticed its 2017 these murderous thugs following a death cult of religion will crowd hug (fire from a crowd of civilians), gather in villages, towns, cities by intimidating civilians. Use IEDs and women and children CHILDREN with explosives strapped to them to kill "Infidels". And civilians?-they won't fight those forces be it Taliban, be it ISIS, al queda... Don't want to give intel to our forces on the ground about weapon and ammo caches tunnels and hideouts... They're equally guilty. My heart will never break for those who dont have the fortitude to fight against evil. This isn't subjective. Beheading barbaric cave dwelling scum don't deserve the privilege to convert oxygen to C02.

And neither does that fat little carnival barker in north korea who exploits his own people and uses them as slaves. Thats not fake news... Especially when liberal leaning VICE does a show investigating into ship builders in europe from north korea are even exposing how these companies don't pay these "employees" directly, money is funneled back to that little fat son of syphilis's country. Talk about social justice warriors, quick to jump ship because those issues don't concern the US but here y'all are in 2017 crying about slavery, poverty, starvation and comparing our president to hitler... Grow up. Read some books, and not ones pertaining to the history of homosexuality in Zimbabwe or whatever else it is the SJWs waste their time with...

If it weren't a felony I'd have bribed that physician who denied me entrance to the Marine Corps over an audible click from a torn rotator cuff.

It will take a change in mentality-Not sitting back and condemning our troops, our generals, our president for going to war. Thank you baby booming hippies for spawning that rhetoric.

Time to get behind our troops and leaders collectively instead of worrying about some cave or mud hut dweller.
Thats how you finish a war. Flinging a couple bombs a month/week/day/hours, is a good start, but binding the hands of troops like Vietnam has proven, and the last how many years has proven, you won't end it. Oh but the insurgents! Guess what, start lobbing those bombs on the borders or lob missiles into those countries hitting key financial industries, sanctions? Please, like they can't find another country to do business with... They'll either police their own and prevent them from joining Jihad Johnny, or they're going to face total destruction. Choice is theirs and yes it's that simple.
Don't leave the region where a group of jihadists move to? Or defend it from them, you get what you deserve be it a MOAB MOP Bullet or Nuke. Oh so you're for refugees? No. Not at all. They can either fight those zealots off, rat them out to the forces, or choose to harbor them.

Going back to Vietnam and the Korean war, what have we been taught? Those same tactics are still being implemented. We could have easily toppled north Korea... Destroyed Chinese industries, and obliterated any safe crossing from soviet Russia and China into north Korea.
Vietnam was fought by peasants with soviet arms. We were technologically advanced and still got pushed around... Wasn't just peasants, there were "insurgents" present at that time as well. Tactics used then are still in use today over in the middle east.

Either tell the UN to take a long walk off a short plank, ditch Geneva conventions, remove rules of engagement, or continue to have ongoing conflict. Choice is yours. Can withdraw troops and watch another anti west anti other religion uprising begin, more brutal than the last group.

Choice is that simple. But a good majority of us aren't ready for the brutality of war. Squeamish over blood and bodies. So I say ban the media covering it and only report whether a mission was successful or not.

Here's the reality of it.

The enemies we face are subhuman. They're willing to arm and train children in the name of jihad. When the bullets and bombs start going off you have split seconds to decide whether you shoot or get shot. I have Marine vet friends who have the blood of armed children and women on their hands. Thats the reality of it, in our civilisation thats sickening and heinous to do such a thing, so it haunts them makes them have nightmares. It's not a mental health issue from not being able to adjust to civilian life, its a lack of conditioning to the harsh realities that go on daily there, add in ridicule and feeling guilty. I myself wouldn't. I value my life, and lives of those I'm close to more than a random stranger, let alone a religious zealot halfway around the world that believes in mutilating women, beheading anyone with opposing beliefs, weaponising women/children because they know we value life and wont stoop to that level or hope we wont. If given the chance, I'd put one between the eyes and not feel the least bit sorry. Thats how you end an ideology.

We aren't fighting a civilisation. We're fighting fanatic radical zealots in guerrilla warfare where Its them or you. Split second where if you don't act... You or your fellow troops die. Thats why WW2 tactics won't win in this era. Our vets spoke of horrors of European African or Pacific campaigns. Difference was, they weren't squaring off against weaponised women or children in France/Germany/Italy. They were shooting men.

Old 04-14-2017, 09:13 AM

39,231 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Very true, we had no interest in expanding the war in Syria in 2013 and that hasn't changed to date. Sending in some cruise missiles doesn't accomplish much, I don't see that the American people or congress have any plans to send in more troops to Syria. This was the easy part, the diplomatic solution will be more difficult.

The good news is that Trump is "bombing the hell out of ISIS", victory is ours! LOL
well, maybe this is the bottom line.

Maybe we can now Declare victory and go home! win win for every party involved.

Old 04-14-2017, 09:14 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Yes blame Bush. Blame Obama. Blame Trump...

Clintons ineptitude to grab Bin Laden led to all of this.

Want to roll the clock back? Maybe if slick willy wasn't chasing interns and chased Bin Laden, none of this would have come to be...
Priorities....

Want to end the wars? Get the media and politicians out of military affairs, stop binding the hands of our troops, and worrying about our image to the world. Can't bomb an ideology? BS! We did in WW2.
No we didn't. Japan and Germany were both countries with people that still had a lot to lose. It became clear that if they continued that they would lose what they had left.

They have nothing to lose in Afghanistan........as pointed out they are living in caves. We destroyed what little they did have. Iraq was a fairly modern secular country until we destroyed it. It's not the people of Iraq that are fighting either. As we saw when they were asked to they refused.

It's the people with nothing we are fighting. You can not win that battle because as I've pointed out for years, we kill 50 of them and they kill 2 of us and they win.

Old 04-14-2017, 09:14 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,780,658 times
According to the Military, this was 100% their decision, not Trump's. He had no say in it.

Old 04-14-2017, 09:17 AM

39,231 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
No we didn't. Japan and Germany were both countries with people that still had a lot to lose. It became clear that if they continued that they would lose what they had left.

They have nothing to lose in Afghanistan........as pointed out they are living in caves. We destroyed what little they did have. Iraq was a fairly modern secular country until we destroyed it. It's not the people of Iraq that are fighting either. As we saw when they were asked to they refused.

It's the people with nothing we are fighting. You can not win that battle because as I've pointed out for years, we kill 50 of them and they kill 2 of us and they win.
yeah.. I agree with you there.

Fighting somebody have nothing to lose is always a challenge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies