Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2017, 08:45 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0marvin0 View Post
The wall was never going to happen. It was just an attractive sound bite from the Donald to entice those "poorly educated" voters he loves so much to vote for him. Any thinking person can easily see that the money spent on a wall, including its upkeep into the future could be better spent on other ways to secure the border. Far less expensive to hire more border patrol personal and their equipment plus drones and sensors. The rubes are easy prey for simple sounding sound bite solutions for complex problems. As has been demonstrated way too often, the Donald isn't really into critical thinking.

100% this.

The wall is almost certainly not the best/most effective method for improving border security, regardless. Just ask the folks in charge of securing the border.

This is a victory for common sense and an avoidance of a huge .gov waste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2017, 09:50 AM

62,959 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
100% this.

The wall is almost certainly not the best/most effective method for improving border security, regardless. Just ask the folks in charge of securing the border.

This is a victory for common sense and an avoidance of a huge .gov waste.

I'm actually starting to feel sorry for you anti-wall people. Your arguments completely lack common sense and you will reap what you sow. Unfortunately, the rest of the country will go down with you with what is going to be allowed to happen. It truly saddens me.

Old 04-28-2017, 09:52 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I'm actually starting to feel sorry for you anti-wall people. Your arguments completely lack common sense and you will reap what you sow. Unfortunately, the rest of the country will go down with you with what is going to be allowed to happen. It truly saddens me.
I kind of feel sorry for all those people who were conned by Trump.

Old 04-28-2017, 09:55 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,078,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I kind of feel sorry for all those people who were conned by Trump.
I feel more sorry for those of us who weren't, but are stuck with the idiot just the same.

Old 04-28-2017, 09:58 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Truth is, we don't need the wall. We just need to enforce the immigration laws we have, us e-verify.

Old 04-28-2017, 10:03 AM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Drug dealers aren't flying their bricks of cocaine here on planes...
Mostly correct, although light planes are still used. Mostly, they're using boats. Either speedboats or semi-submersibles. And guess which genius politician suggested cutting the Coast Guard budget?

Old 04-28-2017, 10:06 AM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I'm actually starting to feel sorry for you anti-wall people. Your arguments completely lack common sense...
45% of people illegally in the US overstayed visas. Your stupid, stupid idea of a wall, even if it was 100% effective (and it won't be), would stop just over half of the illegal immigrants. Assuming, of course, that they don't change methods. Boats, for instance.

Quote:
It truly saddens me.
Good. Obtuseness should be painful.

Old 04-28-2017, 10:15 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Here's the chaos and misery the wall would really create; FOR AMERICANS.

What there is now isn't working why does Trump think more of the same will? This is a guy who doesn't know anything past his own gilded walls. He should go visit the place his is planning to uproot so badly.

Border Wall Could Leave Some Americans on 'Mexican Side' - NBC News

Old 04-28-2017, 10:28 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
45% of people illegally in the US overstayed visas. Your stupid, stupid idea of a wall, even if it was 100% effective (and it won't be), would stop just over half of the illegal immigrants. Assuming, of course, that they don't change methods. Boats, for instance.

Good. Obtuseness should be painful.
Alot of people don't think about the illegals that come via the water. There are Haitians landing in Florida illegally coming on boats. Cap-Haitien(in northern Haiti) is further from Miami than Cancun, Mexico is from Miami. And coming from Cancun, an illegal coming by boat is more likely to land in Naples,FL, which is closer. Illegals could get to Texas or Louisiana via the Gulf of Mexico. Building a wall won't stop illegals from coming via the water.

Old 04-28-2017, 10:30 AM

13,692 posts, read 9,011,664 times
I somewhat disagree with the title of this thread that 'liberals won'. True, many 'liberals' are against the wall, for various reasons. However, you have just about as many 'conservatives' that are also against the wall, again for a variety of reasons.

As has been pointed out over and over again over the past months, the Federal Government may certainly, if the money is available, tear down the fencing on Federal land (itself an expensive proposition), and replace it with the Trump Wall.

The problem is using eminent domain over that portion of the border that is privately owned, including much of Texas.

Sure, I have read of Texas conservatives whom are all for the Wall, but almost invariably they have no 'skin in the game', or, land on the border. Texas ranchers are mainly (not 100 percent, but a high percentage) against such taking of their land for this purpose.

Here is a recent article from a schoolmate of mine in the Fort Worth Star-Telegram:

Texas ranchers, landowners join against Trump

As I said, it is not 100 percent by any means. Here is a South Texas rancher all for the Wall:

South Texas rancher willing to give up land for border wall

I have read that, so far, none of the Texas politicians (US House and Senate) have come out 'for' the Wall in Texas. This article may be accurate:

Texas has the longest U.S. border with Mexico. Zero of its 38 members of Congress support Trump's wall.

As for our Canadian Senator, Cruz, it shall be interesting to see how he talks about the Wall once his November 2018 election draws near. Of course, I believe that if he thinks he can win by being for the Wall (since most voters in Texas do not own border land), then he will be for the wall.

If he believes otherwise (and a lot of these ranchers are big campaign donors), he will be against the wall.

It is simply, really, when one is as unscrupulous as Senator Cruz.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies