Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2017, 11:13 AM

6,205 posts, read 7,463,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Society used to be built on self reliance.

But liberals turned society into a population of those that have their hand out saying gimme.
Generally, all societies evolve and change over time. It's the same since the beginning of history. Many things used to be different. But medical care also was different. Doctors used to make house calls. They would draw blood for the patient to get better. Maybe suction cups. It cost $2.
Fast forward to 2017: 2 days hospitalization without special procedures will cost you $5,000. A routine surgery $100,000. US has the most expensive and worst cost performing health system in the developed world. The free market worked its magic and we are where we are. What exactly "self relying" means under those conditions?
Edit: we haven't seen the end of it yet. The private market will continue working its magic and prices will go up more and more. What will we do when insurance premiums will be $10,000 a month? After all, these business owners need to get faster rich.

Last edited by oberon_1; 05-08-2017 at 11:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 11:16 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
The only ones using the word "free" are the ones against it.

It is NOT steal if i WANT to give that money

And again, if you believe paying taxes is being robbed, what the hell are you doing living in society?

Go live in the woods, make your house out of trees and plant your own food!

Or stop making that ridiculous argument!

Free exchange of labor for services v. Forced payment for someone elses benefit.

I will take my individual liberty, over the collective that does not have my best interest in mind, every time

Old 05-08-2017, 11:23 AM

8,154 posts, read 3,682,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Where am I defending hospitals and big pharna price gouging?

I've always maintained that government would better serve Americans health care needs by looking for ways to bring down the cost of health care rather than trying to force everyone to bear the ridiculous prices together equally.

For example.....

Why does an MRI still cost $3000.00 when the technology has been around for decades and the techs who run the equipment make $18.00 an hour?.

Why is healthcare the only field where the cost to the consumer doesn't go down over time?

If Liberals spent more time trying to solve that issue, I'd have a lot more respect for them than just wanting to reach into my wallet for their healthcare.

Because the "free market" does not work for healthcare, that's why. Our current system has led to an absolutely unsustainable HC expenses compared to GDP. "Single payer", Medicare, or whatever variation is a way to start reigning in costs, while simultaneously providing universal coverage. If, not, the "insurance" model could potentially work but then it is again the government who regulates it (e.g. Switzerland). And by it , I mean everything - insurance, hospitals, drug pricing, etc. It is more expensive compared to single payer systems but still much cheaper than here.

P.S. The techs make more than $18/hour

Old 05-08-2017, 11:25 AM

4,279 posts, read 1,905,508 times
Quote:
The only ones using the word "free" are the ones against it.

It is NOT steal if i WANT to give that money
Fine, how about all of you who want to give, give to fund it. Those of us who don't want to give, don't have to fund it, but we don't get to use it?

Sound good? What is that? You need people like me to pay for it to make it work?

Sounds like you are taking from me to get something you or someone else didn't pay for.

You see, if you and those like you who "want" this can pay for it, then you don't need us and you could pay for it yourself. This is where your logic fails. You need others to pay for this because that is the entire point of the system, otherwise everyone would pay their own way.

Quote:
And again, if you believe paying taxes is being robbed, what the hell are you doing living in society?
I didn't choose to be a part of the society that you are talking about. You see, your idea of a society and mine are different. In yours, you think society means you can force everyone to pay for your pet causes. In my society, people choose and contribute if they find benefit and want to use such.

Quote:
Go live in the woods, make your house out of trees and plant your own food!

Can't escape taxes. If you own property, you have to pay taxes. If you make an income, you have to pay taxes. If you try to live away from town, in the woods, none of this changes. If I make income (be it trade between neighbors or open a small trade store in the mountains to sell to other like minded people living in the woods, I will still have to pay taxes, because you people want our money.

If we don't pay them, you will force us or kill us. How about you stop supporting robbery and murder?

Quote:
Or stop making that ridiculous argument!
You have no argument. Just communist rhetoric.

Old 05-08-2017, 11:27 AM

4,279 posts, read 1,905,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Because the "free market" does not work for healthcare, that's why. Our current system has led to an absolutely unsustainable HC expenses compared to GDP. "Single payer", Medicare, or whatever variation is a way to start reigning in costs, while simultaneously providing universal coverage. If, not, the "insurance" model could potentially work but then it is again the government who regulates it (e.g. Switzerland). And by it , I mean everything - insurance, hospitals, drug pricing, etc. It is more expensive compared to single payer systems but still much cheaper than here.

P.S. The techs make more than $18/hour

We haven't had a free market in over 100 years. So, your claim is invalid. What we have had for all this time is a heavily regulated government system that has controlled the system, driven up prices, picked winners and losers, etc... all to serve government and crony capitalist interests. What you are seeing is a failure of government.

Old 05-08-2017, 11:28 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,196,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Free exchange of labor for services v. Forced payment for someone elses benefit.

I will take my individual liberty, over the collective that does not have my best interest in mind, every time
Which is too bad since the success of the species has always been about our ability to collaborate. Bye humans!

Old 05-08-2017, 11:29 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,739,575 times
Yes, I do.

Old 05-08-2017, 11:29 AM

5,302 posts, read 2,357,140 times
I challenge anyone to answer a really simple question...

Would YOU PERSONALLY feel justified in forcing others to fund your healthcare system? I'm asking if you specifically would do that and feel it was a noble thing.

It's an honest question, and I'm genuinely curious how people will respond. If you do feel you're justified in doing that, fine, then that is actually consistent with universal healthcare.

Old 05-08-2017, 11:30 AM

35,081 posts, read 17,043,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
For example.....

Why does an MRI still cost $3000.00 when the technology has been around for decades and the techs who run the equipment make $18.00 an hour?.

Why is healthcare the only field where the cost to the consumer doesn't go down over time?

If Liberals spent more time trying to solve that issue, I'd have a lot more respect for them than just wanting to reach into my wallet for their healthcare.
I suspect it's largely from paperwork, i.e. transaction costs, and debt service incurred in corporate acquisitions. Back in 1996 I represented three MRI companies in Chapter 11. While on paper the machines are owned by doctors in the real world corporate finance works in and not in a good way.

Old 05-08-2017, 11:32 AM

207 posts, read 102,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
I challenge anyone to answer a really simple question...

Would YOU PERSONALLY feel justified in forcing others to fund your healthcare system? I'm asking if you specifically would see it as noble to do that.

It's an honest question, and I'm genuinely curious how people will respond. If you do feel you're justified in doing that, fine, then that is actually consistent with universal healthcare.
No one should be forced to pay or do anything.

They should be allowed to go live off the grid in the middle of nowhere without using public or emergency services
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies