Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 05:11 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,238,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Put another way, the country's stagnant poverty rate would fall if WE SIMPLY STOPPED IMPORTING POVERTY.

Your failure rate would fall too if you simply stop learning and stop trying new things.

But what's the point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2017, 05:13 PM

30,261 posts, read 23,751,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ohhh View Post
But most people prefer to live in a beautiful, prosperous state that offers many opportunities to build a good life, and are willing to make sacrifices to do so. South Dakota ... not so much. #analogyfail
CA is not a beautiful state.

Old 05-11-2017, 05:16 PM

3,458 posts, read 1,456,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Commifornia is just reaping the rewards of cheap, illegal labor, just as they have always done. While the rest of us toil away for an honest living. But, there is no shame in earning an honest living. In fact, some people are proud to do so. These people are rich beyond calculation, and worth far more than any illegal laborer or business owner that employs them could ever be.
Yep. Just ask Californians about their Southern California water deal. Those crops they're proud of, well half of them are just to cover up the fact that owning their water is a huge business. They use slave labor on top of it and their conditions are a horrid mess.

There success benefits a few and is definitely made on the backs of the poor. I guess a few would be proud of that. So, congrats you few.

Old 05-11-2017, 05:20 PM

13,694 posts, read 9,016,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
California is a mess. Stop posting nonsense. If it were not for the high tech companies. California has nothing except tax, tax, and tax.

Well, California was prosperous long before 'high tech' companies moved in.

I, as a Texan, will say: If not for the oil, Texas would have been in financial trouble long ago. We do not have an income tax, but our property and sales taxes are very high.

Oh, it has helped our Texas economy to have 'help' from south of the Border.

Old 05-11-2017, 06:10 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,333,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Well, California was prosperous long before 'high tech' companies moved in.

I, as a Texan, will say: If not for the oil, Texas would have been in financial trouble long ago. We do not have an income tax, but our property and sales taxes are very high.

Oh, it has helped our Texas economy to have 'help' from south of the Border.
Where do you live? in Odessa? Texas has AT&T, tons of aerospace , American airlines, Southwest Airlines, neiman marcus, Texas instruments , dell and every tech company you can think of has a huge presence in austin

Old 05-11-2017, 06:55 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,074,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
California is a mess. Stop posting nonsense. If it were not for the high tech companies. California has nothing except tax, tax, and tax.
So if it's so terrible there for people and business, why aren't all those high-tech companies packing up and moving to Alabama or some other conservative bastion?

Old 05-11-2017, 07:04 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,074,066 times
I know California is easy to bash, but it's the conservative Southern states that really have the most issues. Southern states have the highest crime rates, lowest upward mobility, highest rates of obesity, heart disease, diabetes and other diseases, worst schools, lowest education levels, crappy infrastructure, etc. Just because there might be lower taxes or cheaper housing in some cases hardly equates to a standard of life that is significantly better. In fact, it's usually the opposite.

Old 05-11-2017, 07:09 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Colorado has the lowest unemployment rate in the country and the best economy.
https://www.bls.gov/web/laus/laumstrk.htm
The 15 US states with the strongest economies - Business Insider

Old 05-11-2017, 07:13 PM

4,488 posts, read 1,644,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
CA is not a beautiful state.
Um...yes it is, sorry it didn't work out for you.

Old 05-11-2017, 09:25 PM

13,694 posts, read 9,016,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
Where do you live? in Odessa? Texas has AT&T, tons of aerospace , American airlines, Southwest Airlines, neiman marcus, Texas instruments , dell and every tech company you can think of has a huge presence in austin
True. All due to oil. Read. for instance, the book by Stanley Marcus (of Neiman-Marcus), whom discusses how Oil created the Texas economy, and Neiman's, back in the 1950s (Minding the Store).

Without Oil, Houston would not exist as it does. Argue as you will, it all goes back to black tea. There is also a book (I do not recall the name) that talks of how Houston became the home of the Texas space industry, due to Houston's wealth (and influence) due to its oil riches.

I know of what I speak. I live in Fort Worth, home of many oil pioneers, that made their wealth from oil, such as from Odessa (yet, choose not to live in that area). I grew up with the Wagners, I knew of the Hunts, knew the Rife's, and many others (due to my father's legal practice).

Heck, watch Dallas to get some idea of the influence oil had on the development of our state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies