Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 11:57 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietzschean Gangsta View Post
Haven't you ever heard of genocide? Native Americans having land disputes with other Native Americans cannot be put on the same plane as what white Americans did to them. It's not even in the same ballpark.
Sorry, but the vast majority of Native Americans died from diseases that came from the eastern hemisphere via the settlers. Yes, there were some that were killed, but it wasn't the majority. Whites had no way of knowing when they got here that the natives wouldn't be resistant to their diseases. Some of the diseases may have come from the African slaves as well. I'm part Cherokee and I will admit that.

Old 03-09-2008, 01:08 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,314,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
Explain in detail why what white people did is any different than what native americans have done.
Genocide, what about that concept don't you understand? Genocide encompasses more than the wanton killing of many people of the same group, there is an ideology behind it. What do you think was the ideology behind the genocidal actions of whites? They didn't just kill native Americans because they wanted their land, those actions were part and parcel of an overall program.

I mean, this isn't rocket science, it's American freakin' history!! It's really not terribly difficult to understand. But I think that is precisely the problem, it seems that you haven't taken the time to understand your own history.

Old 03-09-2008, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
As much as we may not like Heavano for saying this, but it's really a guy/machismo thing. Black culture overall tends to play to it's macho side more than others in American society
Yeah right, I guess you've never heard of Hollywood with its constant parade of white male macho propaganda. Remove the plank in you're own eye first dude, before you go criticizing black American culture.

Old 03-09-2008, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I'm part Cherokee and I will admit that.
Glad to hear it, but what's that got to do with anything?

Old 03-09-2008, 01:53 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,711,413 times
Quote:
Haven't you ever heard of genocide? Native Americans having land disputes with other Native Americans cannot be put on the same plane as what white Americans did to them. It's not even in the same ballpark.
Native American tribes wiped each other out as often as they could. The only, and I do mean the ONLY difference, between what Europeans did to Native Americans and what Native Americans were doing to each other is what Europeans were much, much better at it. Hell, Native Americans would ally themselves with Europeans against their enemies, just as native Africans did.

Genocide, although brought to a different level by Europeans, is hardly exclusive to Europeans. However, I would like to point out that while Europeans have largely given up on that type of thing, genocide still rages on today in Africa.

Old 03-09-2008, 01:55 PM

Quote:
The only thing that is sensational is this ridiculous statement. Nobody claims those things, you're making that up. If you want a serious discussion don't make up sensationalist claims and then put them in the mouths of anonymous or non existent others.
Well, actually, the guy I was replying to seemed to think that slave masters spent all their spare time raping their female slaves and then slicing open their wombs to get rid of the children (what kind of sense would that make if those children could be sold or raised to work the plantations?).

Old 03-09-2008, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
Not a good idea to get defensive about slavery!... is it?

??

Not sure what you're getting at here...

Old 03-09-2008, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Genocide, what about that concept don't you understand? Genocide encompasses more than the wanton killing of many people of the same group, there is an ideology behind it. What do you think was the ideology behind the genocidal actions of whites? They didn't just kill native Americans because they wanted their land, those actions were part and parcel of an overall program.

I mean, this isn't rocket science, it's American freakin' history!! It's really not terribly difficult to understand. But I think that is precisely the problem, it seems that you haven't taken the time to understand your own history.
I'll say this again...what Europeans did to Native Americans is quite literally no different than what any other conquering group did to a weaker group throughout history. Yes, sometimes conquered groups were assimilated, sometimes not...but the simple act of "us" defeating and taking land from "them" has been playing out for 10,000 years, maybe longer. The scale may be different, but the core principles are the same.

Old 03-09-2008, 02:29 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,612,653 times
Quote:

Then why do they still exist today? Why did so many whites intermarry with them? I mean, if you expand this topic to include all of the Americas, technically most everyone in Latin America has a little to mostly native blood depsite the Spainish incquistion.

Hitler's view on Jews is more in line with what you're saying. I don't think who the Native Americans were had any bearing on what happened to them. It's simply a land hungry British crown piledriving over another race, like just about everywhere else they landed. Simple as that. In fact, many native Americans join with the British and French when they were fighting each other. So "history" is more complex than you make it out to be.

Old 03-09-2008, 02:33 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,612,653 times
Quote:
Yeah right, I guess you've never heard of Hollywood with its constant parade of white male macho propaganda. Remove the plank in you're own eye first dude, before you go criticizing black American culture.
Show me a movie with a white guy wearing a "Stop Snitching" tee-shirt.

Thought so.

Black culture tends to side itself with more masculine ideas than American culture as a whole. I didn't say the killer killed becuase he was "Black", but becuase he was "Macho". I was simply pointing out how race and masculentiy get confused.

But like a typical liberal, keep up the screaming and ad homiem attacks. That'll teach us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies