Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 08:55 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
You are really out of touch with the process.

You have to pass a burdensome background check process including fingerprint, interviews with references, etc. You have to take training and pass a live fire test, many counties have a psychological evaluation. All of this at your own cost, often times costing over 1k and taking 6+ months with no guarantee you will actually be given the privilege to protect yourself. If you consider this "barely have a pulse" I would love your take on showing ID to vote.
No, you don't have to pass a live fire test, the individual testing company might require that but the State doesn't. And there is NO statewide requirement for psychological testing or interviews with references. There is a background check and a training course no longer than 16 hours and that's about it. I would appreciate it if can show me just one of the "many Counties" in California that require a psychological evaluation because I checked and I can't find a single one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2017, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
We as in society
Then have a 160 hour initial training and 80 hour yearly recert. These are not hard and fast rules
for what, a CCW?

Old 05-24-2017, 09:31 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,827,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
No, you don't have to pass a live fire test, the individual testing company might require that but the State doesn't. And there is NO statewide requirement for psychological testing or interviews with references. There is a background check and a training course no longer than 16 hours and that's about it. I would appreciate it if can show me just one of the "many Counties" in California that require a psychological evaluation because I checked and I can't find a single one.
Penal Code 26190
(f)(1) If psychological testing on the initial application is required by the licensing authority, the license applicant shall be referred to a licensed psychologist used by the licensing authority for the psychological testing of its own employees. The applicant may be charged for the actual cost of the testing in an amount not to exceed one hundred fifty dollars ($150).

Just a cursory search turns up that Monterey, alameda, orange, Merced, San Joaquin, San Benito, LA, etc.

Also a the sherif can arbitrarily deny you if you don't have "good moral character" What ever that is.

Last edited by shooting4life; 05-24-2017 at 09:50 PM..

Old 05-24-2017, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Penal Code 26190
(f)(1) If psychological testing on the initial application is required by the licensing authority, the license applicant shall be referred to a licensed psychologist used by the licensing authority for the psychological testing of its own employees. The applicant may be charged for the actual cost of the testing in an amount not to exceed one hundred fifty dollars ($150).
Just a cursory search turns up that Monterey, alameda, orange, Merced, San Joaquin, San Benito, LA, etc.
Also a the sherif can arbitrarily deny you if you don't have "good moral character" What ever that is.
I don't want to spend the rest of the evening reading up on this stuff but a 'cursory search' reveals that the Psych test for Merced is not a requirement, it's up to the issuing authority which means if someone applies and has no criminal history but comes off as 51-50 they can have a shrink evaluate them.

But the point is, I don't care, personally I think CCW's should be easy to get and inexpensive. I just think that if you are going to have armed people in a school they need training far beyond what is required for a CCW.

Old 05-24-2017, 10:03 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,827,388 times
Quote:
I don't want to spend the rest of the evening reading up on this stuff but a 'cursory search' reveals that the Psych test for Merced is not a requirement, it's up to the issuing authority which means if someone applies and has no criminal history but comes off as 51-50 they can have a shrink evaluate them.

But the point is, I don't care, personally I think CCW's should be easy and cheap to acquire. I just if you are going to have armed people in a school I think they need training far beyond what is required for a CCW.
The issuing authority requires for all applicants, otherwise it violates equal protection clause of the constitution. So it is either all or nothing.

At this point your argument is it should be more difficult for someone to protect children without any sort of evidence that this extra level of difficulty is needed besides pure speculation.

Old 05-24-2017, 10:29 PM

Quote:
The issuing authority requires for all applicants, otherwise it violates equal protection clause of the constitution. So it is either all or nothing..
then you had probably better call the Merced Sheriff tomorrow and let him know that:

Depending on circumstances, the applicant may be required to provide written evidence from a licensed physician and/or an authorized psychologist used by the Department for psychological testing in order to determine the applicant’s suitability for carrying a concealed weapon and that the applicant is not currently suffering from any medical or psychological condition that would make the individual unsuitable for carrying a
concealed weapon. The costs of this psychological evaluation shall be paid by the applicant but shall not exceed the fee amount set by statute. The psychological evaluation is intended to determine whether an applicant has any outward indications or history of psychological problems that might render him/her unfit
to carry a concealed weapon. When psychological testing on the initial application is required, such testing shall be consistent with the requirements of the California Penal Code.

https://www.co.merced.ca.us/Document...Home/View/5537

Old 05-25-2017, 04:04 AM

7,687 posts, read 5,125,281 times
Quote:
for what, a ccw?
no. For teachers that are allowed to carry

Old 05-25-2017, 07:36 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
At least you guys can get a CCW. The Emperor of SD County has decided plebes can apply but get automatic denial based on cause. You have to be LE to get a CCW here.

Old 05-25-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
no. For teachers that are allowed to carry
I'm not even speculating on how many hours should be required, but I think that extensive shoot/don't shoot scenarios should be incorporated in the training as well as testing for hearing/vision/reaction time. Maybe a solution would be to require that an armed person in a school is a certified as a Police reserve officer, they are generally required to have the same firearms /use of force training as a regular officer and are required to participate in ongoing training in order to keep their reserve status.

And I am NOT saying this in an attempt to demean CCW holders, but you just don't have a lot of room for error when you have a gun in a room full of 5 year olds and I don't think that CCW training requirements are adequate for that purpose.

Old 05-25-2017, 06:45 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,125,281 times
Quote:
I'm not even speculating on how many hours should be required, but I think that extensive shoot/don't shoot scenarios should be incorporated in the training as well as testing for hearing/vision/reaction time. Maybe a solution would be to require that an armed person in a school is a certified as a Police reserve officer, they are generally required to have the same firearms /use of force training as a regular officer and are required to participate in ongoing training in order to keep their reserve status.

And I am NOT saying this in an attempt to demean CCW holders, but you just don't have a lot of room for error when you have a gun in a room full of 5 year olds and I don't think that CCW training requirements are adequate for that purpose.
I agree. I guess more training for teachers was a given.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies