Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 02:17 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
So your argument against teachers being allowed to carry a gun in school if they have a ccw permit is the sherif is a political hack that sells licenses to the highest bidder? If that is the case you should be pushing for shall issue laws that remove the "discretion" of the political elite and ensure parity for all citizens.

How is being able to pass a live fire excersize not enough proof one is capable to carry concealed? It is all that is required for police to qualify every 6 months. If I, or in this case, the teachers pass the same shooting test as the police why shouldn't they be given a CCW permit?
Here's what I'm telling you, it's unfortunate that I have to find a source to try to explain it yet again:

"Some states, like California and Hawaii, have no such central authority setting the rules for concealed carry, leaving it to local authorities to issue permits and establish training requirements. It’s possible that these local authorities make permit-seekers in their individual jurisdictions go through training that goes beyond state minimums.

For instance, though California does not have a statewide standard regarding live-fire training, sheriffs in half a dozen counties contacted by The Trace require it for permit seekers under their purview. Hawaii also does not have a statewide live fire requirement. At the same time, it’s been a labelled a “no issue” state by gun-right advocates: Just 21 private citizens in Hawaii applied for concealed carry licenses in 2014, and all were denied "

https://www.thetrace.org/2016/02/liv...carry-permits/

I stand by what I said, and telling me to lobby for tougher laws is just a silly deflection from admitting that the process for getting a CCW in California is a joke
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Are you saying mandatory sentencing laws were made up out of thin air and not to fill a need of light sentencing? In Colorado the governor is pardoning people of crimes so they won't get deported, same with judges in various states hiding criminals from ICE.
Sitting judges are almost never replaced, they won't even be challenged as it is suicide for the attorney practicing in that court to run against a sitting judge.
If you think sentencing won't change by removing the mandatory sentencing guidelines then you would have zero problem with keeping the mandatory guidelines since sentencing would not change.
Why would anyone want a reduced sentence for a person convicted of using a gun in the commission of a felony?
I made my position on this clear.

Old 05-24-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
If I, or in this case, the teachers pass the same shooting test as the police why shouldn't they be given a CCW permit?
Trust me, CCW applicants do not pass the same shooting test as Police Officers and they have virtually no training..but I don't particularly care one way or the other...as long as they aren't allowed to bring their guns in a classroom.

Old 05-24-2017, 04:45 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,124,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Where are all these lenient judges you're so worried about? I've never met one of them. Criminal court judges almost always sentence based on the recommendation of the Probation department and the Prosecutor's input. If you are somewhere with consistently lenient judges and they are elected you probably should start a campaign to replace them. If they are appointed, pressure the head judge to move them to family or civil court.
You're living in a fantasy land...

Where are liberal lenient judges?

They're everywhere

Old 05-24-2017, 04:47 PM

Quote:
To those who support this change in banning teachers from acquiring a ccw if they so choose and carrying it school. What has specifically happened in the past that shows that the current status quo is an actual problem that needs to be addressed? When has a student taken a teachers gun away from them and used it to harm themselves or someone else? When has a teacher used said gun to harm themselves or the children? Justify why this is needed with actual events and no "blood in the streets" hyperbole.

Old 05-24-2017, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Trust me, CCW applicants do not pass the same shooting test as Police Officers and they have virtually no training..but I don't particularly care one way or the other...as long as they aren't allowed to bring their guns in a classroom.

We defend the president, congressmen, governors, celebrities, jewelry stores, banks, courts, office buildings, sporting events, any many other places....with GUNS

But we defend our children with a sign that says "This is a gun free zone" and then call 911 to send people with Guns.

That's a ludicrous position you're taking, no?

Old 05-24-2017, 05:18 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,131,910 times
Quote:
Go to a range and watch. The CCW holders are by far the better shots. Many cops only shoot once a year to qualify. Many CCW holders shoot every weekend.

Old 05-24-2017, 05:31 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,825,905 times
Quote:
When you can prevent criminals from doing the same then I will support your position.

Old 05-24-2017, 05:34 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,825,905 times
Quote:
Here's what I'm telling you, it's unfortunate that I have to find a source to try to explain it yet again:

"Some states, like California and Hawaii, have no such central authority setting the rules for concealed carry, leaving it to local authorities to issue permits and establish training requirements. It’s possible that these local authorities make permit-seekers in their individual jurisdictions go through training that goes beyond state minimums.

For instance, though California does not have a statewide standard regarding live-fire training, sheriffs in half a dozen counties contacted by The Trace require it for permit seekers under their purview. Hawaii also does not have a statewide live fire requirement. At the same time, it’s been a labelled a “no issue” state by gun-right advocates: Just 21 private citizens in Hawaii applied for concealed carry licenses in 2014, and all were denied "

https://www.thetrace.org/2016/02/liv...carry-permits/

I stand by what I said, and telling me to lobby for tougher laws is just a silly deflection from admitting that the process for getting a CCW in California is a joke
Getting a ccw is California is a joke. It is overly burdensome by any objective standard. All you have to do is look at all the states that are shall issue or constitutional carry and see that people who have CCW are the safest, most responsible and most law abiding members of society and statistics back this up.

Old 05-24-2017, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Getting a ccw is California is a joke. It is overly burdensome by any objective standard. All you have to do is look at all the states that are shall issue or constitutional carry and see that people who have CCW are the safest, most responsible and most law abiding members of society and statistics back this up.
Exactly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies