Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 06:44 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
The counties that issue ccw permits require training and class time plus various fees and background checks.

People who don't try to flirt a license think it is easy. Of course if you live near the coast the sherif won't issue you a permit unless you make some political contributions, the rest of us serfs shouldn't even dream of protecting ourselves and our families.
The state sets the standard for classroom time, it's any course the county finds acceptable not to exceed 16 hours. I am familiar with county CCW standards and I'm not trying to start a big fight over this, but in my opinion they are generally barely adequate to ensure a person can physically hold and fire a gun, they are a joke. If we are going to allow teachers to carry guns in school I would like to see a far more stringent training course and testing process, with periodic retraining and testing. I would also like to see rules for where/how these guns are going to be kept while in the presence of children, will they be exposed in a holster? or maybe they will just leave them on top of the teachers desk?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 06:50 PM

57,294 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
Chances of your house burning down?

Slim

Chances of getting murdered in a school shooting?

Slim

You'll buy fire insurance but you won't attempt to protect children.
There is no downside to buying an insurance policy other than the cost, there is a downside to allowing guns in schools. We already allow some teachers to carry in some schools, how many attacks have they stopped.

Old 05-23-2017, 06:50 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
Dem. Assemblyman Pushes Bill to Guarantee Teachers Cannot Shoot Back if Attackers Strike - Breitbart

Some of these democrats have about as much intelligence and critical thinking skills as a potato does
I did not know that California schools even allowed CC, and especially in a specific school district. Personally I think a better idea is to have armed guards protecting our school children, we have a lot of Vets looking for jobs these days, might work out for all.

Old 05-23-2017, 06:54 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Thanks, I hadn't seen that. but it's not what you claimed which was:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Of course this is at the same time the state of California is trying to remove the madatpry sentence of using a gun in the commission of a felony.
The bill would give a judge the option to not impose the enhancement. Here is the language from SB620: "This bill would delete the prohibition on striking an allegation or finding and, instead, would allow a court, in the interest of justice and at the time of sentencing or resentencing, to strike an enhancement otherwise required to be imposed by the above provisions of law."

I would have been upset if they had gotten rid of the enhancement as you claimed, but this just gives judges the discretion as to when to impose it and I'm ok with that.

Old 05-23-2017, 07:08 PM

19,722 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
I did not know that California schools even allowed CC, and especially in a specific school district. Personally I think a better idea is to have armed guards protecting our school children, we have a lot of Vets looking for jobs these days, might work out for all.
Except, the Republicans are cutting school funding so deep that many districts can't afford guards. Many are laying off teachers. For example, in Kansas and Missouri, the Republicans are making deep cuts in school funding.

Old 05-23-2017, 08:01 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,121,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
There is no downside to buying an insurance policy other than the cost, there is a downside to allowing guns in schools. We already allow some teachers to carry in some schools, how many attacks have they stopped.
What's the downside to allowing trained teachers to conceal carry

They haven't stopped any attacks because it isn't allowed

Old 05-23-2017, 08:02 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,121,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
I agree. Retired police or vets in plain clothes. But that costs money. A few armed teachers is better than nothing

Old 05-23-2017, 09:13 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Thanks, I hadn't seen that. but it's not what you claimed which was:

The bill would give a judge the option to not impose the enhancement. Here is the language from SB620: "This bill would delete the prohibition on striking an allegation or finding and, instead, would allow a court, in the interest of justice and at the time of sentencing or resentencing, to strike an enhancement otherwise required to be imposed by the above provisions of law."

I would have been upset if they had gotten rid of the enhancement as you claimed, but this just gives judges the discretion as to when to impose it and I'm ok with that.
It is exactly what I said, removes the mandatory sentencing to people who use a gun in the commission of the felony.

So again we have a state that is making the owning of gun accessories a crime when doing zero harm to anyone while reducing the punishment of those that actually use a gun while committing a felony. If the state spent as much time dealing with people who actually commit serious crimes instead of making millions of average citizens criminals and if you don't want to be a criminal you have your property confiscated without compensation.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Except, the Republicans are cutting school funding so deep that many districts can't afford guards. Many are laying off teachers. For example, in Kansas and Missouri, the Republicans are making deep cuts in school funding.
Californias republicans have zero control on school funding. A. The control less than a third of the representatives in the state and B. The ca state constitution requires certain levels of spending on schools.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
The state sets the standard for classroom time, it's any course the county finds acceptable not to exceed 16 hours. I am familiar with county CCW standards and I'm not trying to start a big fight over this, but in my opinion they are generally barely adequate to ensure a person can physically hold and fire a gun, they are a joke. If we are going to allow teachers to carry guns in school I would like to see a far more stringent training course and testing process, with periodic retraining and testing. I would also like to see rules for where/how these guns are going to be kept while in the presence of children, will they be exposed in a holster? or maybe they will just leave them on top of the teachers desk?
What other civil right requires anywhere near the same level of time and money?

People pretend the world is ending to ask someone to have an ID to vote but now taking 16 hours of classes, passing rigorous background checks, live fire demonstrations, hundreds of dollars of fees and months to years worth of wait time to excersize the most fundamental right to protect yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies