Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 01:09 PM

73,032 posts, read 62,634,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Even relatively culturally homogeneous cultures like the Japanese still have substantial political friction.
Yemen is a great example. Yemen is full of violence and poverty despite being homogeneous. People will look for any reason to fight.

Old 05-24-2017, 01:17 PM

39,230 posts, read 27,618,080 times
Multiculturalism works if and only if everyone integrates to the greater culture. Unfortunately, the current version of multiculturalism is all backwards. It expects the greater culture to adapt to a lesser culture.

The downside to multiculturalism really is that it causes conflict, because people who are different yet are forced to share the same space will naturally fall into tensions. Those pushing for multiculturalism will say that this isn’t inevitable, and can be bridged through understanding, but we can’t ignore basic human nature. It takes a lot more effort to get to it.

Old 05-24-2017, 01:59 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,269,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
Of course I realize it's to late to do anything about it now, and of course diversity is promoted as the best thing since Jesus Christ, but honestly, if all countries were homogeneous wouldn't the end result being a more peaceful world? Like it or not, humans are inherently tribalist, it is in our DNA and always has been and always will be. The more differences there are between people the more conflict. If you look at the world, no matter where it may be, the more races/religions/languages/cultures there are ends up disproportionately relating to just how peaceful/united people are.

You look at something like Japan where, it's about as homogeneous as can be. Can you not say it being one of the most crime-free, healthiest, and overall most successful countries has nothing to do with it? Look at Europe, the more diverse it has become the worse it has gotten. As far as the U.S is concerned, I know people will respond with "But the U.S has always been a nation of immigrants", true, but of the European kind. Which, while technically diverse, is far different than those otherwise. When the founding fathers created this nation do you think they honestly thought by immigrants it would be hundreds of thousands/millions from Africa, Middle East, Asia etc.? And for those that would say they love diversity, well, if you really feel like you need it, isn't that what planes and boats are for? Instead of importing different people into your country wouldn't it make more sense to go to others yourself?

Sure I'll get lots of flack for this but if we look deep-down on our nature as humans isn't it the truth?
No. Go back in history--really far. Study the migration patterns of people. Many people migrated to other countries/lands and blended. That's what mixed heritage is about. You are looking at one little fraction in time as this is how it is and will be forever.

The world and world population evolves. Your scenario would never work. Countries were homogeneous once, and were invaded by other more aggressive countries. There would not be some utopian peace. If those within one country were not disagreeing with each other, they would be uniting against another culture.

What would be nice is if everyone was homogeneously educated - well educated.

Old 05-24-2017, 02:01 PM

30,261 posts, read 23,746,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambatown81 View Post
The OP is correct and I'm a little surprised more people aren't in agreement. Of course, its far easier to virtue signal the flags of diversity and claim some imaginary moral highground than it is to speak cold hard truths that make people uncomfortable.

People ARE tribal by nature. To try and fight that fact is playing with fire, better to accept it as who we are and to do a better job of basing our societies around that truth rather than to continue to preach the whole "diversity is our strength" mantra. Diversity is more often a source of conflict and division than a "strength". Wherever there is conflict around the world, its often because of peoples of different races and religions occupying a piece of land too closely to each other.

People tend to self segregate on their own. Creating majority neighborhoods of one race or another. Or even at a school lunch table. Humans tend to prefer to be around people with many similarities to themselves, and while race or culture is certainly not the only factor, its one of the largest factors.

Its interesting to note the unspoken rule of thumb regarding mostly racially homogenous other places in tbe world. Asia? Well thats mainly for Asians. Sub Saharan Africa? Land of the blacks. Indian sub continent? Indians. And so forth. But Europe and the US/Canada is for whites? Oh no!!! Those places are for EVERYONE!!
I'm not sure why the phony outrage, either. It's what the SJWs and regressives are shoving down our throats. They carry on about "cultural appropriation", they talk about their token pet race of the day while they bash on other races. They want awareness and celebrations for certain races but not for others. They want the destruction of history for certain races but not for others. They want power for certain races but not for others.

It's very evident, and has been very evident for some time, that this is what the SJWs and regressives want. Yet they laughably think that they are any different from the alt right. The only difference is that many of the SJWs and regressives are self loathing.

Of course people are going to fight no matter what...that doesn't mean that diversity works. The truth is just what was said in the quote above: People self segregate themselves. They feel more comfortable around people who are like them. They do it in school, in neighborhoods, in church, at parties...we even have award shows that are separate.

I think people claim that they like diversity because they are told that they are supposed to like it or society will say that they are racist. That's not the definition of racism. It's simply stating, "I find more comfort in people who are like me".

That's not white supremacy or black supremacy. It's not racist.

Being proud of being white is not racist.
Being proud of being black is not raicst.
Being proud of being Hispanic is not racist.
Being proud of being Asian is not racist.

Wanting to hang around people who are more like you, look like you, act culturally more like you is not racist.

What is racist is telling white people only that they aren't allowed to say things like that. No. Every race has the right to say things like that.

I'm beginning to think that the majority of the world would be happier if countries were homogenous.

Once people can stop being so afraid of what people will think of them if they even consider the topic, their eyes may open to the reality that it certainly does appear that many other countries who don't have a whole lot of diversity are not pining for any diversity.

Old 05-24-2017, 02:10 PM

2,953 posts, read 993,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I'm not sure why the phony outrage, either. It's what the SJWs and regressives are shoving down our throats. They carry on about "cultural appropriation", they talk about their token pet race of the day while they bash on other races. They want awareness and celebrations for certain races but not for others. They want the destruction of history for certain races but not for others. They want power for certain races but not for others.
I know why the outrage and it's not phony. To progressives multiculturalism is THE cause of their age. It's so deeply at the core of their ideology that it's become a fetish. If you dare question their own twisted redefinition of it they will go Just look at this thread. The wild-eyed charge from the bushes by one after another of them initiated by a simple statement of "I enjoy the diversity of different national identities and ethnicities" These wads are as rigidly doctrinaire on this subject as if it were a fundamental tenet of their religion.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 05-24-2017 at 03:16 PM.. Reason: bypassing the profanity filter

Old 05-24-2017, 02:20 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,446,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
I know why the outrage and it's not phony. To progressives multiculturalism is THE cause of their age. It's so deeply at the core of their ideology that it's become a fetish. If you dare question their own twisted redefinition of it they will go ape-$h1t. Just look at this thread. The wild-eyed charge from the bushes by one after another of them initiated by a simple statement of "I enjoy the diversity of different national identities and ethnicities" These wads are as rigidly doctrinaire on this subject as if it were a fundamental tenet of their religion.
I'm a progressive and I literally have no idea what the hell you're talking about.

I'm mildly pro-multiculturalism for the USA. I can't get with white nationalism here because whatever culture they want to force on everyone is not mine and never has been. People in other countries, however, can do whatever they want about it.

Old 05-24-2017, 02:21 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,756,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
Of course I realize it's to late to do anything about it now, and of course diversity is promoted as the best thing since Jesus Christ, but honestly, if all countries were homogeneous wouldn't the end result being a more peaceful world? Like it or not, humans are inherently tribalist, it is in our DNA and always has been and always will be. The more differences there are between people the more conflict. If you look at the world, no matter where it may be, the more races/religions/languages/cultures there are ends up disproportionately relating to just how peaceful/united people are.

You look at something like Japan where, it's about as homogeneous as can be. Can you not say it being one of the most crime-free, healthiest, and overall most successful countries has nothing to do with it? Look at Europe, the more diverse it has become the worse it has gotten. As far as the U.S is concerned, I know people will respond with "But the U.S has always been a nation of immigrants", true, but of the European kind. Which, while technically diverse, is far different than those otherwise. When the founding fathers created this nation do you think they honestly thought by immigrants it would be hundreds of thousands/millions from Africa, Middle East, Asia etc.? And for those that would say they love diversity, well, if you really feel like you need it, isn't that what planes and boats are for? Instead of importing different people into your country wouldn't it make more sense to go to others yourself?

Sure I'll get lots of flack for this but if we look deep-down on our nature as humans isn't it the truth?
Maybe we could all just realize we are all humans and try and take care of each other on the only home we have, earth. But sadly, humans are destined to destroy, its in our nature.

Old 05-24-2017, 02:47 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,896,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Europeans never had a problem traveling the globe to force their cultures on other people while stealing their resources, so why should they have the right to shut out the rest of the world now?
Might makes right.

The answer is because they can if they so wish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies