Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2017, 09:21 AM

2,049 posts, read 1,067,803 times

Advertisements

I believe that the loyalty of the mayor of London to his religion is more than his loyalty to Britain and its democratic values

Which is why he hates President Trump
Trump seeks to protect the interests of the West, including Britain
It is better for the mayor of London to cooperate with President Trump and serve the British people

There is an Arab example that says
They put the tail of the dog in mold for forty days but this tail did not adjust
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 09:29 AM

12,873 posts, read 22,050,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
well, that is your opinion, but I think both can and should stop this non-sense. Neither handled the situation well enough.

Quite frankly, I think the winner in this situation is Theresa May.
I mean it's technically my opinion that Trump's comments aren't just a "personal attack," but it's not my opinion that Trump did attack the mayor for how he responded to the attack. That's a fact. If the reverse were the case (Khan criticized Trump for how he handled a terrorist attack in the U.S.), do you think Trump would just "stop this nonsense?" No. He'd spend hours on Twitter ripping him. And if Trump wants to be welcome in London, he should probably take the first steps in apologizing. Which he'll never do because he's Donald Trump and he's not "PC." That's why his base loves him, but it's also clearly hurting our standing with our strongest allies- case in point right here (or last week with Germany). The guy is a liability.

Theresa May is anything but a winner politically in all of this. She's now in an awkward spot she shouldn't have had to be in. She's go to choose between doing something to anger an "ally" (by cancelling Trump's visit) to appease the mayor of England's most important city, or appease Trump by keeping the visit scheduled as planned and angering Khan and the city of London. Now, the best approach is to contact the White House and say "Now may not be a good time, could we reschedule?" Which she may do. But there's still no guarantee that Trump won't get into a war of words with her as a result. It's an unenviable position for her and one that she wouldn't have to be in if Trump didn't fire shots at London's mayor in a time of crisis.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:30 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,629,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I mean it's technically my opinion that Trump's comments aren't just a "personal attack," but it's not my opinion that Trump did attack the mayor for how he responded to the attack. That's a fact. If the reverse were the case (Khan criticized Trump for how he handled a terrorist attack in the U.S.), do you think Trump would just "stop this nonsense?" No. He'd spend hours on Twitter ripping him. And if Trump wants to be welcome in London, he should probably take the first steps in apologizing. Which he'll never do because he's Donald Trump and he's not "PC." That's why his base loves him, but it's also clearly hurting our standing with our strongest allies- case in point right here (or last week with Germany). The guy is a liability.

Theresa May is anything but a winner politically in all of this. She's now in an awkward spot she shouldn't have had to be in. She's go to choose between doing something to anger an "ally" (by cancelling Trump's visit) to appease the mayor of England's most important city, or appease Trump by keeping the visit scheduled as planned and angering Khan and the city of London. Now, the best approach is to contact the White House and say "Now may not be a good time, could we reschedule?" Which she may do. But there's still no guarantee that Trump won't get into a war of words with her as a result. It's an unenviable position for her and one that she wouldn't have to be in if Trump didn't fire shots at London's mayor in a time of crisis.
ok fair point.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:34 AM

12,873 posts, read 22,050,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
London tourist attractions closed after U.K. warns another attack likely - May. 24, 2017

London is safe...! According to the Muslim Mayor of London who was sworn in on the Koran!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...ntv/index.html

Is London safe because the people of London stay more home out of fear?

After every attack, the only people who will be out in the street are muslims according to local reports and mentioned on TV but of course the mainstream PC will not show these images.

"Safest city" for how many times has it been in highest alert?
I was there during the attack on the Westminster Bridge (not at the site at that time, but in Central London). This statement is absolutely absurd. I was out on the street, having a beer and walking around with as many Londoners (of all faiths and backgrounds) as I had been on the previous days. There were cameras in public places all over London that night (from all networks) where crowds continued on as normal. These are horrible tragedies, but London is a massive city and people carry on as normal afterwards. There are far too many people there for the "Mainstream PC TV" to hide anything from you. I can't imagine living such a paranoid life. Wow.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:38 AM

1,349 posts, read 664,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
Maybe because it takes some time to decide to act like that, to overcome behavioral norms for most people? Where, with trump, it is almost instantaneous because he has no behavioral norms to overcome.
It is what I meant.

Thanks

Old 06-06-2017, 09:46 AM

1,349 posts, read 664,571 times
Quote:

Just as some, quite a lot actually, thought Le Pen would win. (not talking about you) . Very mistaken. You dont seem to know anything about europe.

Brexit was a referendum, most british people got in awe at the consequences. And talk to Scots.

We certainly don't agree but you have always been respectful. I'm not attacking you.

It is obvious she will not win from this.

Last edited by personne; 06-06-2017 at 10:30 AM..

Old 06-06-2017, 09:54 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,084,938 times
Quote:
well, The London mayor, Sadiq Khan,[b] has called on the British government to cancel a planned state visit by Donald Trump after being criticised in two tweets by the US president.
Not "criticized," LIED about. Why don't you call it what it really is?

Quote:
To me, it is pretty vindictive and quite frankly, stupid, to respond to personal attack.
What would you call an outright LIE about a world leader in the aftermath of a tragedy for purely political gain? Some might call that vindictive.

Quote:
(And Trump is no saint in this area.)
Not a saint? Once again, why don't you call it what it really is? Trump is a vindictive, loudmouthed ass. Everyone with a brain sees it. You are not stupid, but somehow you either don't, or more likely refuse, to see it.

Quote:
He (Khan) makes it a national issue when it was nothing but a personal attack of him from Trump.
You say this as if any world leader should be able to attack any other country leader and there should be no consequences. When does your wonderful president EVER have to be held accountable for being an ass? Never? That seems to be your answer. Trump can lie about anything and suffer no consequences. Unfortunately for you, the rest of the world is not as enamored of the ass in the White House as you are.

I hope Trump is humiliated on a national stage by the U.K. rescinding their invitation. It's exactly what he deserves.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:54 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
London has just over 100 murders a year on average, which is a lot safer than most cities with a population of 8.7 million.

Crime statistics for 2016 to 2017 - Metropolitan Police

Domestic Violence accounts for a significant proportion of murders, indeed far more than terrorism.

As for US Cities, there were 760 murders in Chicago alone, which is far more than the 574 murders in the entire UK, which has a population of nearly 65 million.
Most of the murders are happening in 5/25 Chicago Police Districts. Most involve community terrorists, none of whom are Muslim. Sometimes the shooting involve rival community terrorists and sometimes innocent people, in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Despite this, Chicago continues to break tourism records- last year, 56 million overnight visitors. Chicago's murder rate does not make the top ten in the US.

London metro is indeed a very safe compared to most world class metro areas.

Old 06-06-2017, 10:05 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,782,559 times
Quote:
well, that is your opinion, but I think both can and should stop this non-sense. Neither handled the situation well enough.

How is she the winner? Her poll numbers have absolutely plummeted and the Tories may lose.

Old 06-06-2017, 10:14 AM

15,867 posts, read 21,455,012 times
Quote:
well, The London mayor, Sadiq Khan, has called on the British government to cancel a planned state visit by Donald Trump after being criticised in two tweets by the US president.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...vel-ban-london

To me, it is pretty vindictive and quite frankly, stupid, to respond to personal attack. (And Trump is no saint in this area.)

He (Khan) makes it a national issue when it was nothing but a personal attack of him from Trump.

Kind of like a poster has a problem with my post, and she made it sound like I am the enemy of the state. LOL Just report me to the mod will solve the issue. lol
The good people of the UK have opposed Trump's visit for months. Trump just further confirmed that he is neither fit nor prepared for the responsibility of a state visit due to his actions over the past few days.

We hear on CD frequently that because Trump won the election (though not the majority of the votes) that he speaks for the US. Mayor Khan won more than 56% of the vote: he most assuredly speaks for London.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies