Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2017, 12:31 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,670,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
the same benefits Hawaii has......and all those territories that the U.S. took from Mexico known today as California, Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Arizona, Utah.....most of those place still have the Spanish names in their towns.......no different in making the Mormons in Utah into a state.

Our government already made that decision a long time ago when they invaded Puerto Rico and by force made it into a U.S. Territory and forced U.S. Citizenship on them so they would be drafted and fight and die in every American war and conflict since WW 1.

the least we can do is give them representation and a voice on the federals laws that have ruled them for over 1 century with no say. They have earned it under the circumstances.

your same question was used after the Civil WAR in what to do with the former African slaves. should we keep them and give them U.S. Citizenship or send them all back to Africa......what benefits would poor and uneducated former slaves will add to the U.S. if we gave them all U.S. Citizenship.

Well we answered that, we brought them here by force so the least we can do is make them U.S. Citizens with full rights......isn't that the same thing with Puerto Rico, they are a U.S. Territory by force, they re US. CITIZENS by force......shouldn't we at least after 100 years of under our rule by force give them representation and a voice over the federal laws and federal government that rules them?.....it makes sense to me and the least we can do after the fact and circumstances.
You still haven't answered the question.
Puerto Ricans are not American slaves

I agree we can give them a voice in government, but not as a burden to this country.

What benefit will Puerto Rico add to the US if it became a state?

Benefit.. ... something that is advantageous

Old 06-12-2017, 12:36 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,670,949 times
Quote:
the benefit the U.S. already cashed in....damn take some history of our government.

Nobody invades another country, makes it their territory and forces all U.S. laws and forces citizenship on them so they can use it as a military point and draft them to fight in all American wars since WW 1 if there wasn't any benefit.

Now its time to do the right thing just like slavery.

did you ask the same question when the Mormons in Utah wanted to become a state? or Hawaii? or Idaho.....or New Mexico?........what benefit they offer to the nation compare to staying a U.S. Territory.

The hypocrisy here is funny....now they want to make a double standard to Puerto Rico compare to the 37 territories that are states today.
Slavery? Really?

Old 06-12-2017, 12:46 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,802,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
LOL Its the rural states problem... not the candidates who failed to persuade them or reach out to them, instead call them phobosisticismist who are bitter, cling to their guns and bibles, deplorable, and well campaign on identity politics instead of focusing on a stagnant to failing economy, job loss, and promise more free stuff etc. That will show them!

*Golfers clap*

Please do it again in 18 and 20

Or... leave NY California and other blue hives, move to the flyover states, Appalachia, and try to even it out... kiss your gated HOAs and comforts good bye
The oligarchy has a vested interested in funneling everyone into the 6 largest cities they don't want people to migrate out of them because they lose control that way. It's all about controlling real estate and people through slave wages and a high cost of living that's why they don't like people in rural areas or what not.

They can't control them near as easily, and people own their land. It's all about control. The people in the 6 largest cities are playing right into their hands...the US needs to develop it's small to medium sized cities, and diversify.

That's why the electoral college is a necessity. Power is too easily bought when everyone starts to funnel into a few cities. The Democrats can't win a lot of states because they try and rely on people on the coasts and in inner cities too much. This is their fault completely.

The Democrats cannot mathematically win with their strategy.

Last edited by wanderlust76; 06-12-2017 at 01:20 PM..

Old 06-12-2017, 12:47 PM

3,852 posts, read 2,229,309 times
Quote:
Now its time to do the right thing just like slavery.
They are actually comparing Puerto Ricans to slaves.

GET. OUTTA. HERE.

Typical B.S "Latino" historical logic. There's absolutely no social equivalence between the U.S relationship with Puerto Rico and slavery, but they pretend that it's the same to make a ridiculous point.

And I thought Mexicans illegals comparing their "struggle" to the Civil Rights movement was bad.

Old 06-12-2017, 01:22 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,274,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
They are actually comparing Puerto Ricans to slaves.

GET. OUTTA. HERE.

Typical B.S "Latino" historical logic. There's absolutely no social equivalence between the U.S relationship with Puerto Rico and slavery, but they pretend that it's the same to make a ridiculous point.

And I thought Mexicans illegals comparing their "struggle" to the Civil Rights movement was bad.

brain fart.....I didn't say it was the same thing....but when you invade another country, occupy them by force, force U.S. citizenship on them so they would be force to fight in all the American Wars since W 1 with no voice and no representation and make them by force to be under full U.S. jurisdiction that is not the same thing as an illegal alien coming here and violating our laws. ......Puerto Rico didn't come over here, our government went over there in 1898. Maybe if you didn't call in sick the days your public school taught history you would know that the U.S. created this situation in Puerto Rico.

If I invade your house, occupy your house, make everybody in your house be under my total jurisdiction by force and send some of your family members to fight and die in my wars then YES!! Legally and Morally I own you and your family something for my actions and the least we can do is give them full representation and a voice over a federal government that has rule over them for over a century, they are already U.S. Citizens, another thing our government forced on them and that has consequences that you ignorantly don't want to honor because I suspect you have racist tone in you. Maybe I'm wrong about you maybe not.

What part of that you don't "comprende"?

Last edited by Hellion1999; 06-12-2017 at 01:34 PM..

Old 06-12-2017, 01:24 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,914,310 times
Quote:
brain fart.....I didn't say it was the same thing....but when you invade another country, occupy them by force, force U.S. citizenship on them so they would be force to fight in all the American Wars since W 1 with no voice and no representation and make them by force to be under full U.S. jurisdiction that is not the same thing as an illegal alien coming here and violating our laws.

If I invade your house, occupy your house, make everybody in your be under by total jurisdiction by force and send some of your family members to fight and die in my wars then YES!! Legally and Morally I own you and your family something for my actions and the least we can do if give them full representation and a voice over a federal government that has rule over them for over a century.

What part of that you don't "comprende"?
The "slavery" argument is just distracting from the discussion.

This occupation of territories nonsense is just wrong. Either let them be a state or let them be their own country. What we're doing now to PR (and, for that matter, all of our territories) is just plain wrong.

Old 06-12-2017, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
This occupation of territories nonsense is just wrong.
It definitely is.
Quote:
Either let them be a state or let them be their own country. What we're doing now to PR (and, for that matter, all of our territories) is just plain wrong.
No. Like I mentioned before. Making them a state is a step beyond colonialism. They would cease to be a distinct people. That's backwards.

The only just solution is to let them be free independent self-governing nations out of our jurisdiction.

...that we don't need to be bothered with.

Old 06-12-2017, 01:36 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,914,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
It definitely is.

No. Like I mentioned before. Making them a state is a step beyond colonialism. They would cease to be a distinct people. That's backwards.

The only just solution is to let them be free independent self-governing nations out of our jurisdiction.

...that we don't need to be bothered with.
If they want to be a state, let them. If they want to be free, let them.

I agree, we had no business being there in the first place. But that is history now. Let their people decide their fate. Congress should have no say in the matter.

Old 06-12-2017, 01:49 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,274,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
You still haven't answered the question.
Puerto Ricans are not American slaves

I agree we can give them a voice in government, but not as a burden to this country.

What benefit will Puerto Rico add to the US if it became a state?

Benefit.. ... something that is advantageous

so that's the standard now to give a voice and representation to U.S. Citizens that are under U.S. RULE and jurisdiction for over 1 century...as long that you are not a "burden" to the country you can have representation?

if we go by your definition of "burden" to the country, we could strip over half of the population in this country of their representation and voice. We could do the same for corporations.

Puerto Rico is already a U.S. Territory and their residents U.S. Citizens........maybe you should have asked that question in 1898 when the U.S. invaded the island, made them into a U.S. Possession UNDER FULL federal jurisdiction and forced Citizenship on them so they could fight in our wars in blood..........isn't that a benefit already. Why the U.S. did all that if they didn't see a benefit for their expansion? DUH!

The U.S. adopted Puerto Rico already, that ship has sailed a long time ago....By giving them statehood you are finally giving them representation and a voice over a federal government that has ruled them for over 1 century with limited rights and NO sovereignty to handle their matters on their own just like each of the 50 states.

Your question is 1 century old....the U.S. already has to deal with Puerto Rico under the U.S. CONSTITUTION territorial clause.......it benefits the U.S. when you give millions of U.S. citizens representation and a voice over the government that rules them....that on itself is a BENEFIT that benefits both sides, the government because it keeps them in check and the people.

I could give your more benefits possibilities in making Puerto Rico into a state in this global economy and dealing with Latin America but you would just blow it off.

Old 06-12-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
I could give your more benefits possibilities in making Puerto Rico into a state in this global economy and dealing with Latin America but you would just blow it off.
Entertain us. I legitimately want to hear you come up with some reasons that PR as a state would be a net benefit for us. Make up some nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies