Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2017, 11:51 AM

3,854 posts, read 2,230,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
there are 2 solutions to end colonialism......Statehood or Independence.
Nope, that backwards logic. If it became a state it would cease to be a separate nation altogether and lose it's identity and have less sovereignty. That's a step beyond colonialism.

Let the Puerto Ricans be Puerto Rican.

Old 06-12-2017, 11:51 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,671,954 times
Quote:
Good points........but a state has more freedoms and tools to deal with their issues and they have a voice and a vote on the federal laws that governs them.....a territory doesn't, Puerto Rico has been at the mercy of the federal government by force since 1898 with NO voice or a say in the federal laws and bank laws that governs them. That's a flaw in our constitution in my opinion. It treats a territory of U.S. Citizens as property.

The parent (feds) have to give the dependent the tools and sovereignty to deal with his issues or it will continue to run up the parent's credit card to survive. I put most of the blame on the federal government.

After invading Puerto Rico in 1898 and forcing U.S. Citizenship on them by force, the least we can do its give them true representation and a voice over the federal laws that governs them and limits them and the tools to deal with their issues.
What benefits will Puerto Rico add to the U.S ad an state?

Old 06-12-2017, 11:52 AM

7,185 posts, read 3,703,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Amazing how the liberal media isn't covering their new referendum that's happening today in Puerto Rico
Your initial premise is quite incorrect:

Google "puerto rico referendum", and get 1.8 million results in .8 seconds...

top ones:
Washington Post
New York Times
CNN
CNN
redstate
NPR
al jezeera (I forget, is this liberal or not?)
and on... and on... page after page of coverage. And, glory be! many of them are the "so-called" liberal media!

The other stuff in your post... well, I got the message during the campaign not to call someones post for sounding like a racist rant - because they aren't (even though they look like one) but I am for calling it out. So, I won't.

Old 06-12-2017, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Puerto Rico should not be granted statehood until it would rank, upon entry, in the top 20% of US states in credit rating.

Its a basket case economically. Let it fix that itself before any consideration is given to statehood.
Was this required of any other state in the past? No?

Old 06-12-2017, 11:55 AM

11,046 posts, read 5,275,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
All of this stuff about imperialism was terrible but it doesnt mask the fact of massive incompetence and government spending in puerto rico and enormous government spending,progressive government mismanagement, pension problems, excessive borrowing, extremely high compensation for government employees and retirees from the government etc.

So much of the puerto rican downward spiral started with all the vieques protests and al sharpton ,ricky martin etc and the other dullards demanding the navy leave and they did and there went thousands and thousands of jobs, it was huge loss and the government still kept giving out these high paying government jobs and huge pensions .

Puerto ricos 123 billion in debt and pension obligations far exceeds the $18 billion bankruptcy filed by Detroit in 2013 and we may not be just be dealing with a Puerto rican bankruptcy , Puerto Rico and Illinois both love spending and welfare states ,state employees and strong unions, half the people on the island work for the government, and both Puerto Rico and Illinois has extremely high compensation and retirement benefits for government workers and spend, spend, spend and very strong unions and a declining and aging population etc

ILLINOIS HAS THE LOWEST CREDIT RATING ON RECORD FOR A U.S. STATE

https://www.illinoispolicy.org/illin...r-a-u-s-state/

The credit rating agency S&P Global Ratings has downgraded the state of Illinois’ credit rating to BBB-, just one notch above a noninvestment-grade, or “junk,” rating. S&P has also placed the state rating on “negative” watch, meaning the agency could downgrade Illinois again in the near future.

S&P warned that Illinois is in danger of entering “a negative credit spiral.” That means that the lower credit rating will make it more expensive for Illinois to borrow money, and thus even harder for the state to pay its bills. This in turn could result in an even lower rating.

it all starts with the status since 1898.

1) 1898 the U.S. invades Puerto Rico and it makes it a U.S. Territory for military purposes.

2) U.S. forces U.S. Citizenship on all Puerto Ricans just in time so they can be drafted and fight in WW 1 and all of the others American Wars and military conflicts that followed WW 1.

3) the U.S. Supreme Court declares that full constitutional protection of rights does not automatically extend to all places under American control. This meant that inhabitants in Puerto Rico have limited constitutional rights even if they are U.S. Citizens.

4) Puerto Rico is an unincorporated territory of the U.S. that are under the full jurisdiction of the U.S. but they are not part of the U.S.....they are basically in limbo with limited tools and limited powers to deal with their issues and population that the U.S. government made them fully dependent by force on federal aid.

I can go on and on that list........that has consequences to the situation Puerto Rico has now. You can't solve the problem by ignoring history and how Puerto Rico got there.....you can't ignore ACT 1 and ACT 2 of a play and pretend to make any sense by just talking about ACT 3 which are the consequences from ACT 1 and Act 2.

Old 06-12-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
so you equate in having representation for the laws that governs you to economical status or credit rating?

should we kick out of the Union states that are poor or have poor credit ratings ?
If we cut loose all the states that took more from the feds than they gave in tax revenues... that would be fair, right? Or, if we gave them - the same states I just referred to - a chance to improve themselves, with a deadline for succeeding, just to make it 'fair' to them? I could agree with that.

Old 06-12-2017, 11:56 AM

3,854 posts, read 2,230,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
What benefits will Puerto Rico add to the U.S as an state?
None. Zero. I challenge anybody to name one legitimate benefit that this will bring to the United States.

This is the question that people need to ask. Not if it's better for them, but if it's better for us as a nation to absorb a third world country. Puerto Rico is a disaster.

Old 06-12-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
Was this required of any other state in the past? No?
What benefit would Puerto Rico offer the U.S as an state?

Old 06-12-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
None. Zero. I challenge anybody to name one legitimate benefit that this will bring to the United States.

This is the question that people need to ask. Not if it's better for them, but if it's better for us as a nation to absorb a third world country. Puerto Rico is a disaster.
I agree. I haven't heard of 1 benefit from the people opting for it.

Old 06-12-2017, 12:09 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,111,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
What benefits will Puerto Rico add to the U.S ad an state?
There's nothing in the US Constitution that says a prospective state must offer benefits.

Quote:
New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new States shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress.
It does not say anything about benefits or that ignoramuses must deem the populace to be "American" enough according to racist criteria. All that's needed is a simple majority vote in both chambers of Congress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies