Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2017, 10:07 AM

29,509 posts, read 14,673,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
When it comes to the safe act and gun laws, I'm on it. Unfortunately demonstrations and town hall protests that I had helped organized fell through because those who wanted to participate had work and couldn't afford to miss so much as 1 day...

Believe me, if given the floor with Cuomo I'd spank him and embarrass him. Craig Apple, Albany County sheriff. I knew him personally, and I would have had him and other sheriff's present to slap his butt silly and embarrass him to oblivion, possibly face repealing certain clauses of the act or face charges for treason and defying the constitution.

He doesn't ever want to run for president and come to florida to rally. I'll make that boy cry and shut him down with the dirt I've got on him that NY dems turn a blind eye to in favor of party.

How do we keep nut jobs from obtaining arms. A standardised disqualification not a loophole system that benefits an anti gun agenda or pro gun agenda.

See I have no issues with how Florida issues CCW permits/license.

There is a proficiency course, where you have to prove you can properly handle and maintain the weapon. And show responsibility.
There's a 3 month background check done in Tallahassee that lifts every rock, looks in every crack.

Any history of violence-disqualified. Especially domestic violence whether it was a man beat his wife/vice versa, neighbors reporting to the police of shouting if it's documented as a domestic violence or disturbance don't count on getting a permit.
As was the case with my brother in law. His ex had gone to his apartment when he lived in MA and had created a scene... it was documented. He didn't get his permit for 6 months.

Any history of proof of irresponsibility is a disqualifier, drug charges DWI charges etc. Again, my sister had to wait 6 or 7 months because she was charged for a DWAI there's no such charge in Florida. Felony DWI. But she has lived in Florida for the past 5 years and had never committed any such offense.

Mental health, which is what you and many others are particularly interested in, if you are treated for a mental illness, it will be questionable, and I'm sure the shrink or doctor will be contacted for details if you choose to allow them to speak of what had caused and what you had been diagnosed with. If you were ever deemed mentally defect, don't count on it. But what about the nut job who doesn't seek treatment? Ahh the 6 million dollar question. This is where it becomes a grey area where some suggest better policing of our own. That becomes subjective.

What you or I deem as psycho babble is subjective. Example-I think Madonna saying she gave serious thought about blowing up the white house, should result in being detained and put in for evaluation where others scream FREEDOM OF SPEECH FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION!

No two people suffering mental illness provide the same warning signs.

Robin Williams-happy go lucky and hysterical! Hangs himself.
Then there's the random person who becomes quiet anti social and a total recluse.
Could be someone who's generally not sociable or tired or just shy... can't report them for not being the life of the party.... or you find them in a bathtub with a long drawn out woe is me note...

Should there be a standardised test required to obtain arms? I don't think so. Especially if it serves one side of the issue or the other. Could have a staunch anti gun shrink write off hundreds if not thousands of people's rights. Could have someone who feels everyone is entitled regardless...

Currently, It's a judgement call by the retailer, and the approval of the current background checks that are in place. There is no such thing as any loophole. Any firearm purchased from a retailer be it a store or booth at a gun show performs the background check regardless. Private sale that's the end users responsibility. When I purchased a Desert Eagle 50, when I purchased a Les Baer a 4500 dollar pistol for 1500 cash, I told both sellers I am willing to have a proper transfer done and I'll even pay for it, here take down my drivers license number and CCW number... goes both ways. If someone's willing to sell a gun ASAP claiming they need the money and do not care to get my info or do the background check, my spidey senses will tell me this gun is hot. It's either stolen, or was used in crime. I can tell in 5 minutes or less by interacting with the seller if they're a legit seller or a possible criminal in possession of something they shouldn't be. And I have reported 2 of them who were suspicious to me.

Both resulted in arrests for just that-having something they shouldn't have, be it stolen (one Springfield armory 1911 was stolen from a gun store in OHIO!) or in possession when deemed unfit. (The lady trying to sell her "deceased husbands collection" no questions asked at that, turned out to be selling guns later found stolen or reported in a crime, she probably purchased them from people needing to get rid of evidence be it murder or armed robbery)

To further comfort the anti gun nuts, the days of getting an FFL and giving the ATF the run around that any weapon in question is at another location presently at this time, are over. They come, you'd better have everything or prove it's whereabouts. Otherwise, steel bar motel for you.

The gun store I frequent, refused to sell to the Orlando shooter and had even reported him for his probing questions pertaining to body armor and his fringey demeanor. He still slipped through... who dropped the ball? I say the FBI and ATF did. Not the other gun store since he straightened his act up and purchased at that other store and didn't come off suspicious. BTW his family doesn't live far from me... the day after that happened you saw lifted trucks with rebel flags and hybrids rocking the rainbow flag and bumper stickers going through that area stalking. Bet you'd never picture that.

We can throw this scenario out there too.
Typically those who are anti gun that I've met in person, are very interesting creatures indeed. I find their demeanor to fit that of the tin foil hat conspiracists. You own guns! What are you?! Some kind of homicidal maniac!? I've taken the time to get a couple who were anti gun to a range just to try it out. Guess what?! They own the evil black rifle they sought to ban forever! They love it. Others. Nope. I've got ptsd just seeing one, that right there is mental illness. It's beyond cowardice.

I had a 4th grade teacher who was distraught over me bringing empty cartridges and targets once for show and tell. She had me in the principals office and had the schools social worker and shrink come in to question me. My parents went through the roof. She was a fragile anti gun nut and exclaimed if he's this young and able to hit a bullseye at 3 football fields away with a rifle imagine what he could do if he brought a gun to school!!! True Story. Same thing happened with a friend of mine having a picture of a deer he had taken in 8th grade.

That unhinged behavior got both teachers 1 week paid administrative leave.
I had worn camo to school once. Tiger stripe vietnam pants. That was another call home and probing by the schools shrink and social worker. Because the columbine shooters had worn camo and trench coats. Got that hall monitor FIRED. And rightfully so. Mental illness goes BOTH ways on the spectrum. On one side you have blood thirsty and deranged, the other side you have weak feeble irrational unhinged crippling fear. Do we judge those who are crippled by spiders snakes water heights the same we do as guns? Nope.

I was raised with guns. My first shot was taken when I was 4 years old with a Jensen 22lr pistol. My first rifle shot at 6. My first rifle not BB gun was a Savage 22 semi auto. My first shotgun-20 gauge when I graduated 5th grade, Remington pump action. I had been in a rod and gun clubs since the 5th grade. Ive handled everything available to the public through purchase or rental right up to 50 cal Accuracy international sniper rifles. I've never gone on a rampage. I've never threatened, deliberately threatened anyone with anything I own for it is not just a right but a responsibility that comes with the territory. If you subjectively feel threatened by the fact I have 5 safes bursting at the seams with pistols rifles ranging from .22 up to 338 Lapua and 50 AE, that's your problem not mine.

Its no different than that of some of the hot rods I had when I was younger. 450 horse 327 powered S10 I had built when I was 16. Never had a speeding ticket with it. Never crashed it. Same philosophy applied to that that applies to fire arms. You don't need 400-600hp! Yeah and I don't need a whiney wimp to tell me what I need either but you're still entitled to have your opinions... difference is I don't tell you that your hobbies of sitting down building computers collecting coins boating/fishing, or creating something on a lathe out of wood or steel is a danger or threat even though it can be just as dangerous as mine.

Life is full of risks and I live every day as if it's my last, I've seen far too many people I was close with die both young and old.

One thing I've learned from the elderly who've passed away, don't ever wonder what if? Or wish you could have.

So if you want to live in a bubble or gun free society France has its doors open. If you can respect the constitution instead of bend it to fit your wants needs desires ideology we can get along. I don't tell anyone how to live their life. But when others tell me how to live mine I'll argue with all my being as long as theres air in my lungs and blood in my veins. If they choose to escalate it from there I'll match it.

Dude, you need to set your sights elsewhere. I'm far from anti gun, and agree with pretty much everything you've written here.
I just would like to see people , like my daughters ex boyfriend never be able to purchase a firearm. He's bi-polar, schizophrenic, controlling , has extreme anger issues and the craziest part....highly intelligent. He doesn't take his meds due to not liking how they make him feel. Put it this way, the military wouldn't take him. There are even more details about him that I haven't said... and my opinion is there is no way he should own a firearm.

Old 06-15-2017, 10:13 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,717,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Dude, you need to set your sights elsewhere. I'm far from anti gun, and agree with pretty much everything you've written here.
I just would like to see people , like my daughters ex boyfriend never be able to purchase a firearm. He's bi-polar, schizophrenic, controlling , has extreme anger issues and the craziest part....highly intelligent. He doesn't take his meds due to not liking how they make him feel. Put it this way, the military wouldn't take him. There are even more details about him that I haven't said... and my opinion is there is no way he should own a firearm.
Yes, he definitely shouldn't own a firearm, but if he has never been institutionalized, never been arrested, and never convicted of a crime, how can he be prohibited from buying or owning a firearm?

Most of the recent mass shooters have flown under the radar and bought their guns legally.

I have yet to hear any method of preventing psychos from getting guns, but not infringing on the rights of non-psychos.

Old 06-15-2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Yes, he definitely shouldn't own a firearm, but if he has never been institutionalized, never been arrested, and never convicted of a crime, how can he be prohibited from buying or owning a firearm?

Most of the recent mass shooters have flown under the radar and bought their guns legally.

I have yet to hear any method of preventing psychos from getting guns, but not infringing on the rights of non-psychos.
You are correct. There really isn't much that can be done. Freedom does come at a price.

And as tragic as these incidence are, the make a tiny portion of the violence that happens in our country. Here in Detroit , there are shootings everyday and no laws will change that.

Old 06-15-2017, 10:39 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,501,337 times
Quote:
Nope. Never. So long as it's in print "Shall not be infringed" I will not set my sights elsewhere.

You have a duty to report the twirp so does she. That's your part to report him to his doctors. I had an ex who was psycho. Guess what I did? Called her shrink and her doctor when she didn't take her meds. I did it to look out for her and for her family. Not for me. That's being responsible and taking action. And those actions came with consequences for her. Not me. She was a hefty liability to me. Think I was going to liquidate everything I had because she couldn't handle a firearm? Guess again. She didn't know the combo to my safes. Her and her mother have been institutionalized. Life lesson learned. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

But since he's an ex, and you both dropped the ball... that's on your hands.

Old 06-15-2017, 10:39 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,115,378 times
I often times wonder why all these "patriots" who love guns so much never chose to serve in the military? That is the ultimate sign of patriotism, and you get to shoot guns.

Old 06-15-2017, 10:43 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,008,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
I often times wonder why all these "patriots" who love guns so much never chose to serve in the military? That is the ultimate sign of patriotism, and you get to shoot guns.
Where do you think I learned to shoot? Why do you think I prefer shooting .45 in pistol and .308 in rifle?

Actually, it wasn't quite the Navy where I learned to shoot; spent 3 years on a JROTC rifle team in high school.

But on a ship one time, on a rolling deck range, another officer asked me, "Wow? Where did you learn to shoot like that?".

Old 06-15-2017, 10:51 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,115,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
But on a ship one time, on a rolling deck range, another officer asked me, "Wow? Where did you learn to shoot like that?".
Nice! Thank you for your service!

I'm not a bad shot myself, received several marksman ribbons while in the military for the M16 and M9.

Still, though. My question remains...I bet a lot of the posters in here did not serve in our country's military. But they're so quick to tell liberals like me that they're patriots, as if I'm somehow not a patriot, just because I'm a liberal. When I served in the military and they didn't. Baffles me.

Old 06-15-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Nope. Never. So long as it's in print "Shall not be infringed" I will not set my sights elsewhere.

You have a duty to report the twirp so does she. That's your part to report him to his doctors. I had an ex who was psycho. Guess what I did? Called her shrink and her doctor when she didn't take her meds. I did it to look out for her and for her family. Not for me. That's being responsible and taking action. And those actions came with consequences for her. Not me. She was a hefty liability to me. Think I was going to liquidate everything I had because she couldn't handle a firearm? Guess again. She didn't know the combo to my safes. Her and her mother have been institutionalized. Life lesson learned. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

But since he's an ex, and you both dropped the ball... that's on your hands.
Both dropped the ball ?! WTF are you talking about ? You know nothing about what we did...police involvement, school councelors , principals , etc. And they wouldn't do a damn thing, blamed all on him being a kid. Except this kid was smart enough to tell them what they wanted to here. So don't sit there and judge me you have no clue about the situation.

Old 06-15-2017, 10:52 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,501,337 times
Quote:
You are correct. There really isn't much that can be done. Freedom does come at a price.

And as tragic as these incidence are, the make a tiny portion of the violence that happens in our country. Here in Detroit , there are shootings everyday and no laws will change that.
Exactly. Just goes to show those anti gun laws and legislation do not have any bearing on criminals, so why should I and many others bow to the anti gun agenda that is on the books in other states that want to be pushed nationally? Aside from ever escalating taxes in NY its gun laws were a big factor as to why I fled.

If a home invader, mugger rapist murderer carries, yet a law abiding legal gun owner should be demonized what is going to happen? The criminal will win for we are not bullet proof, or come with a police officer to protect us from criminals cradle to the grave. I abhor the nanny state mentality and intrusiveness "it's for your safety and we'll being"

Take a contradiction and a half here in Florida. You can be ticketed for not wearing a seat belt. It's legal to ride a bike without a helmet... okie dokie... seat belt ticket ensures revenue generated for the town/city/state. Speed limits. Oh it's for your best fuel economy and safety. No reason for an interstate or highway to be the autobahn. Not my fault others can't drive. Or lack the ability to drive at high rates of speed be it their ability, vehicles ability, or vehicles condition. Break the speed limit-revenue generated for the town/city/state. I also grew up racing stock cars. I don't expect anyone to have the same abilities as me to keep a car sideways over 100mph with inches between my car and 2 others while ripping a tear off from my visor. Nor am I grandstanding that a residential area should be 60 70mph.

Again another common sense law on the books in Florida 10 20 life. The juice isn't worth the squeeze to be an armed Thug down here. Or be a Rambo. Play stupid games down here win bigly yuuuge prizes

Old 06-15-2017, 10:58 AM

28,681 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Why do you want to own a gun?
Because "Please don't kill me" only works once in a lifetime, and I've already used it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies