Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2017, 09:51 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Even Scalia said that the 2nd amendment comes with restrictions, good luck finding a constitutionalist to the right of Scalia.

Ya, money and ability.... Those are the only restrictions.

Old 06-16-2017, 10:03 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,502,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhallian View Post
I actually would like to do that, and I hope anyone who is thinking about owning a gun does do that training! Though living in NYC, I don't see myself owning a gun anytime soon.
Yeah you probably won't find that anywhere in NY state period. Thank Cuomo for that.

Not to be rude to you but your reply did come off a bit arrogant, I just want to say this right now to the likes of don...

Flag all of the statistics you want. Believe all the rhetoric and throw all the scenarios out you want...

I'm only one of how many law abiding gun owners? I'm willing to back my claims and my abilities up. Start browsing youtube channels and see folks do 3 gun competitions, and IDPA and other various shooting sports. Then look at guys in Texas who rent helicopters and shoot wild boars running full tilt from moving or stationary helicopters.

This whole blind ignorance that gun owners all are unqualified or unfit to protect themselves or others and can't hit the broad side of a barn... and remind you. That's a very small percentage of folks who record their hobbies and actions...

Don't ever ASSUME.

I'm not cocky, I'm confident. Do I brag. Sure. Can fault me for pride I could care less.
I've trained both my 70 year old mother and my little sister. They're proficient. My sister was a former paintball speedball champion. In an active shooter scenario, I have NO doubt in my mind she'd shoot and move and take a bad guy out.

What stops most people from putting a bad guy down isn't fear of the situation. The liability of the situation. Wake up. We're a sue happy nation. I could be in a mall parking lot and a rabid gunman open fire from cover. I take him out I guarantee someone who's a parent with kids will place a lawsuit and hold me responsible for traumatizing their little Johnny or Sally. Then there's the wild gunmans family who will lawyer up and Sue for everything under the sun. Lawyers make money... they're blood sucking thieves. They have no qualms taking a case like that on. Unfortunately judges and jury's can be pandered and persuaded by emotions instead of logic and fact. Add in the fact no 2 human bodies are the same density... There's the risk of over penetration and yes striking a bystander. However the ammo I carry every day is designed to dump all of its energy and fragment within the first couple of inches so that over penetration isn't as big of an issue, the ammo I have in my EDCs are deemed felony material back in NY.

Especially have to worry these days when there's borderline mentally ill weaklings out there like this Gersh Kuntzman who claims PTSD after firing an AR.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2674555

Old 06-16-2017, 10:05 AM

57,321 posts, read 26,245,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Yes, because you are trying to add in suicides into a narrative that fits your agenda.....if you take the 15k suicides out, and only provide those that killed someone other than themselves, well that 15k does not look as good as 30k....

Read above, attempt to comprehend....

"Originally Posted by chucksnee
An absolutely 100% false narrative....

Yes, there have been more gun deaths, than terroist killings....

However, your chart is also showing suscides.....but you knew that...just did not care....

ANd you're missing 14, 15, 16, and 17.....not that it will make a difference....

But it's still the fact that you are not being intellectual honest..."
Suicide by gun is a statistic, I don't see that it is dishonest. If you don't think that suicides should be included then make your case and explain.

Old 06-16-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Suicide by gun is a statistic, I don't see that it is dishonest. If you don't think that suicides should be included then make your case and explain.
I'll make it for him.

Suicides should be ruled out of homicides and violence

Suicide is a choice, getting mugged, raped, car jacked, home invaded isnt.

Old 06-16-2017, 10:11 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,739,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Yeah you probably won't find that anywhere in NY state period. Thank Cuomo for that.

Not to be rude to you but your reply did come off a bit arrogant, I just want to say this right now to the likes of don...

Flag all of the statistics you want. Believe all the rhetoric and throw all the scenarios out you want...

I'm only one of how many law abiding gun owners? I'm willing to back my claims and my abilities up. Start browsing youtube channels and see folks do 3 gun competitions, and IDPA and other various shooting sports. Then look at guys in Texas who rent helicopters and shoot wild boars running full tilt from moving or stationary helicopters.

This whole blind ignorance that gun owners all are unqualified or unfit to protect themselves or others and can't hit the broad side of a barn... and remind you. That's a very small percentage of folks who record their hobbies and actions...

Don't ever ASSUME.

I'm not cocky, I'm confident. Do I brag. Sure. Can fault me for pride I could care less.
I've trained both my 70 year old mother and my little sister. They're proficient. My sister was a former paintball speedball champion. In an active shooter scenario, I have NO doubt in my mind she'd shoot and move and take a bad guy out.

What stops most people from putting a bad guy down isn't fear of the situation. The liability of the situation. Wake up. We're a sue happy nation. I could be in a mall parking lot and a rabid gunman open fire from cover. I take him out I guarantee someone who's a parent with kids will place a lawsuit and hold me responsible for traumatizing their little Johnny or Sally. Then there's the wild gunmans family who will lawyer up and Sue for everything under the sun. Lawyers make money... they're blood sucking thieves. They have no qualms taking a case like that on. Unfortunately judges and jury's can be pandered and persuaded by emotions instead of logic and fact. Add in the fact no 2 human bodies are the same density... There's the risk of over penetration and yes striking a bystander. However the ammo I carry every day is designed to dump all of its energy and fragment within the first couple of inches so that over penetration isn't as big of an issue, the ammo I have in my EDCs are deemed felony material back in NY.

Especially have to worry these days when there's borderline mentally ill weaklings out there like this Gersh Kuntzman who claims PTSD after firing an AR.

To gun lovers, you can't even have an opinion on assault rifles - NY Daily News
I certainly hope most gun owners are like you. I suppose I'm a bit of a cynic when I imagine the "average person owning a gun", and don't trust most people to actually undergo the training they should.

I'm by no means against the right of people to own guns, and will admit I was being a snarky jerk. EDIT: I'll also add that I have a hard time not making fun of internet tough guys (which definitely applies to certain people in this thread)

Last edited by Valhallian; 06-16-2017 at 10:30 AM..

Old 06-16-2017, 10:11 AM

I take all comers to this anti gun argument.

Come with fact not emotion.

Old 06-16-2017, 10:12 AM

29,510 posts, read 14,673,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
I'll make it for him.

Suicides should be ruled out of homicides and violence

Suicide is a choice, getting mugged, raped, car jacked, home invaded isnt.

Seems clear to me. It definitely should not be included.

Old 06-16-2017, 10:14 AM

57,321 posts, read 26,245,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Thank you, you just made my point exactly ! If 4 police officers, who have more experience handling weapons than Joe Average, need to fire 41 rounds and miss more than half the time, then how well do you think Granny will fare when she starts to spray ammo all over the place ?

Like I said, I would fare better with the bad guy than a bunch of unskilled, armed citizens who have absolutely no idea what the Hell they are doing, especially in a panic situation where everyone is going crazy. This ain't the old west.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRiWAxMMX5o
I don't want someone that has been waiting his entire life to use his gun in a dangerous situation to prove himself. I am going with LE rather than someone that thinks he is an expert because he went to a firing range.

Old 06-16-2017, 10:14 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,115,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post

My instructor used this video for our CCW class.

Old 06-16-2017, 10:15 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,088,247 times
Suicides would simply shift over to OD or hangings if guns weren't available. Ridiculous to even have that conversation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies