Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2017, 02:24 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,502,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I'm very pro-gun and stopped counting when I bought my 20th gun. I can't see how any additional laws would prevent guns from getting in the hands of the wrong people. Banning magazines or firearms with certain features are nothing more than "feel good" laws. A bolt action hunting rifle isn't any less dangerous than rifles that are banned in certain states.

The only law I don't see a problem with adding is background checks (with an exemption for concealed carry permit holders) for private sales. You can never be 100% sure if you are selling a gun to someone with a criminal record.
Right but I'm holding my self as we all should to a higher standard. I've mentioned before how I scored deals that did seem too good to be true, and 2 that were in fact too good to be true.

I bought a LesBaer. 4500 dollar pistol. Cash deal in the parking lot. Guy didn't know 300-500 rounds to break it in. Slide stiff, occasionally jam getting told on the phone by the company what he didn't want to hear. Decided to sell out of haste. Pawnshop offered 800. I scooped it up for 1500 cash and had the transfer and background check done right there.

2 other deals where I offered the same to be done... that's when the voice trembled that's when the eyes got shifty and no just gimme the money.

1 was a Springfield armory match fullsize 1911. Turned up stolen from an Ohio gun store.

2nd deal was a lady's "deceased husbands collection" need the money no questions asked. Yup another one. Nope just gimme the money and they're yours.
Hot guns as well. Bet she was buying them from criminals to hide the evidence...

If you're in Florida and have something I want, you can have my drivers license and CCW license # and we can go to an FFL to do a transfer. That way you have a record should that pistol rifle shotgun gets involved in crime or whatever it doesn't come back on you. Say here ya go, here's the dude I sold it to. Wham. Drivers license they know my address they can pull the registration for my vehicle and wham APB I get detained. I'm liable. It was in my possession. Did it get stolen from me and did I report it stolen? Or did it conveniently go missing in a boating accident?

I have everything to lose so therefore I hold myself and others to the same high standards as me.

Old 06-16-2017, 02:26 PM

57,322 posts, read 26,245,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
People who have gone to the effort of getting their CCW are not riddled with wannabe heroes nearly as you state. Tossing that accusation out as a fact is highly annoying and more than insulting to a huge number of responsible citizens. One of the things that CCW training drives home as a primary point is conflict avoidance. When you carry a firearm for defense, you assume the obligation to retreat as it were. having to even draw your weapon, let alone use it, is to be avoided as much as humanly possible.

I f someone gets in your face, makes lewd comments about your lady, pushes you out of line whatever, your responsibility is to back down. All CCW training I have ever attended stresses that above all else. No, this isn't Deadwood. Nobody realizes that better than someone with a CCW. When you're carrying, the only conflict you can engage in had better be one where life and physical safety are on the line. Otherwise, just remove yourself and loved ones from the situation, groveling and offering platitudes and apologies needs be. That is the reality of it.

I've done this myself many times. Let downright nasty comments directed at my lady just roll off along with challenges to do something about them, taken her hand and walking away with no return commentary. The wannabe gunslingers you seem to think make up the rank and file of armed citizens are a rare animal. Cops are more likely to respond with force to a verbal assault than CCW holders. Avoidance of conflict and peaceful resolution to same so as NOT to have to use our weapon is primary over all else. Truly, cops have less restrictions on their response to a given conflict situation and face less repercussions for use of force, including lethal force, than we armed citizens do.

You would do far better to actually educate yourself on this issue before offering the commentary you have. It's pretty obvious you're operating on personal stereotypes and opinions gleaned from misinformation and personal predjudice.
Fair points but as you say the use of a gun should be an absolute last resort, I have seen enough cases where that is far from the case.

Old 06-16-2017, 02:31 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,889,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Fair points but as you say the use of a gun should be an absolute last resort, I have seen enough cases where that is far from the case.
Many of these attacks happen in seconds out of no where. Its great if one can spot the trouble first.

Old 06-16-2017, 02:31 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,502,465 times
Quote:
I'm not equating them, just re-stating a statistic that people use them quite frequently for suicide.

There are plenty of mentally ill people that can acquire guns quite easily, including veterans with PTSD.
No there isnt. If they're so much as PTSD forget it.
Goes to the sheriff's until deemed fit. Mentally defect=no guns for you.
According to my friends who came home, who are veterans... they're screened upon return. Once again. A big lie.

https://www.ptsd.va.gov/public/ptsd-...th-effects.asp
Quote:
Some research has looked at how the response to war stressors changes over time. PTSD symptoms are more likely to show up in returning OEF/OIF service members after a delay of several months. Using a brief PTSD screen, service members were assessed at their return and then again six months later. Service members were more likely to have a positive screen - that is, they showed more PTSD symptoms - at the later time.

Old 06-16-2017, 04:08 PM

46,307 posts, read 27,131,867 times
Quote:
I'm not equating them, just re-stating a statistic that people use them quite frequently for suicide.
Yes you are, or you could not make the assumption that you are making, nor ask the questions you asked.

Quote:
There are plenty of mentally ill people that can acquire guns quite easily, including veterans with PTSD.
As a veteran with a combat patch, you can shove your statement straight up where the sun don't shine....

Either way, what do you propose to make it not so easy for those you say it's easy for them to get, and NOT affect people that don't fit into your box? Don't say "common sense" laws either....

Old 06-16-2017, 04:09 PM

46,307 posts, read 27,131,867 times
Quote:
Where...show us, if you've seen "enough" cases.....

Old 06-16-2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
As a veteran with a combat patch, you can shove your statement straight up where the sun don't shine....

Either way, what do you propose to make it not so easy for those you say it's easy for them to get, and NOT affect people that don't fit into your box? Don't say "common sense" laws either....

You have no interest in removing guns from mentally ill people, you're just concerned about casting too wide a blanket. God forbid that a few capable gun owners get swept into any law, that would be an absolute horror. It's a waste of time attempting to reason, I don't expect any changes and people that have no business owning a gun will continue to have access.

By the way I served in the infantry in Vietnam, I have also volunteered at VA hospitals. Let me know when you have an intelligent answer other than your service record.

Old 06-16-2017, 04:43 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,640,631 times
Quote:

I've seen such cases as well. However, they were all police related.

Old 06-16-2017, 04:55 PM

2,188 posts, read 1,384,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Why do you want to own a gun? Just because I want one and it is my right? Not good enough. Establish a NEED, as many state do have on the books.
Man, you really don't know what you are talking about. You should quit now. No state grants gun rights on a NEED basis, you have the inalienable RIGHT to own firearms in all 50 states. /thread.

Old 06-16-2017, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
No there isnt. If they're so much as PTSD forget it.
Goes to the sheriff's until deemed fit. Mentally defect=no guns for you.
According to my friends who came home, who are veterans... they're screened upon return. Once again. A big lie.

https://www.ptsd.va.gov/public/ptsd-...th-effects.asp
The bill placing restrictions on veterans was passed in Sept 2016, needless to say it does not capture a significant number. There are 20 suicides per day, not all from PTSD but I doubt there is accurate screening. The house passed a bill in March 2017 to remove the restrictions but it has not been passed by congress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies