Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2017, 08:20 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,933,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I have to give them credit on this one. An lone, overweight, elderly man armed with a knife or baseball bat, running around a baseball field trying to attack Congresspeople probably young enough to be his children? Laughable, but put a gun in his hand and it is deadly.

THIS is the real issue, not politics, not religion, not even mental illness. Guns. Sorry, NRA, MORE guns are not the solution. "Rounding Third, Carrying an AK-47, and Headed for Home" ???????? NO, NRA. LESS guns is what is needed.

I am a Sanders supporter, who voted for Hillary. Senseless Violence, be that against a Democrat, Republican, Black Churchgoers, or School Children.

Eliminate the MEANS, and the Motive becomes Moot.
The first phrase that comes to mind is "pick your battles". You are NEVER going to change this here in the USA, we love guns and violence far too much to ever pass any gun regulations. If you want to live in America, you need to get used to the fact they we will continue to lead the world in firearm homicides. And realize that a large portion of the population loves every minute of it.

https://cdn.theatlantic.com/assets/m.../0c3c1f087.png

Firearms per 100 People (2007)

https://cdn.theatlantic.com/assets/m.../5727d9ab9.png

Firearm Homicides per 100,000 People (2013)

Old 06-16-2017, 08:20 AM

29,510 posts, read 14,673,560 times
Quote:
Very true, and Gabby Gifford's shooting is a perfect example. There were "good guys" there with guns. Why didn't they shoot the gun man? In interviews these people said they were afraid they couldn't get a clear shot, and in all the panic, they might shoot an innocent bystander instead. The shooter was tackled from behind and taken down. The same with the LIRR shooting years ago. Passengers tackled Collin Ferguson from behind.

To quote my husband who does carry (sometimes), "In a situation like that (Gifford's), I could not live with myself if I missed and killed an innocent person instead".

As I said in another post, I saw a NYC Bus Driver shot in the face when I was 6 years old. I still can remember 60 years later all the panic on that bus. Mon threw me on the floor and got on top of me.

Can you just imagine if passengers on a crowded bus or train, starting shooting to take out a gunman???? How would these "Wyatt Earps" feel if they missed and shot a little child instead? Trained LEO's miss, but they won't?

You sort of answered you're own question. The CPL holders in the Gifford shooting knew they had no clear shots and had the sense to not "spray bullets" everywhere. I'm pretty sure had they had a clear shot , they would have taken it.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:21 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,502,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Thank you, you just made my point exactly ! If 4 police officers, who have more experience handling weapons than Joe Average, need to fire 41 rounds and miss more than half the time, then how well do you think Granny will fare when she starts to spray ammo all over the place ?

Like I said, I would fare better with the bad guy than a bunch of unskilled, armed citizens who have absolutely no idea what the Hell they are doing, especially in a panic situation where everyone is going crazy. This ain't the old west.
LOL

If you think NYPD of all departments in the USA have more experience handling weapons than the average joe who shoots every weekend, you're living in lala land...

Old 06-16-2017, 08:23 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,088,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
LOL

If you think NYPD of all departments in the USA have more experience handling weapons than the average joe who shoots every weekend, you're living in lala land...
I know LE that's supposed to shoot and they don't. Matter of fact I trade some of them for ammo because they never shoot it. I hunt with a few and only one is a decent shot.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:25 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,088,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Actually, you contradicted the person you think you're agreeing with. You stated cases in which armed citizens properly decided they did not have sufficient opportunity to use their weapons, and didn't.
Exactly. You don't shoot unless you can take the shot cleanly.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:28 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,103,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Exactly. You don't shoot unless you can take the shot cleanly.
Like Jeff Cooper used to say "there's no need to fire an unaligned piece".

Old 06-16-2017, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Very true, and Gabby Gifford's shooting is a perfect example. There were "good guys" there with guns. Why didn't they shoot the gun man? In interviews these people said they were afraid they couldn't get a clear shot, and in all the panic, they might shoot an innocent bystander instead. The shooter was tackled from behind and taken down. The same with the LIRR shooting years ago. Passengers tackled Collin Ferguson from behind.

To quote my husband who does carry (sometimes), "In a situation like that (Gifford's), I could not live with myself if I missed and killed an innocent person instead".

As I said in another post, I saw a NYC Bus Driver shot in the face when I was 6 years old. I still can remember 60 years later all the panic on that bus. Mon threw me on the floor and got on top of me.

Can you just imagine if passengers on a crowded bus or train, starting shooting to take out a gunman???? How would these "Wyatt Earps" feel if they missed and shot a little child instead? Trained LEO's miss, but they won't?
I won't. This was at 50 feet with my most recent acquisition. A Talo Colt 1911.

And yes I did aim for that little red circle. That's not a flyer.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I know LE that's supposed to shoot and they don't. Matter of fact I trade some of them for ammo because they never shoot it. I hunt with a few and only one is a decent shot.
Life long friend of mine was a city of Poughkeepsie officer, transferred to dutchess County sheriff's for better pay, spent 5 years with them, now rides the train to the city for even more pay... We used to shoot when we were teenagers. When he got his issued pistol he used to bring it up and we'd shoot that. He's told me good thing guns aren't legal in the boroughs... he would hate to see the collateral damage these guys would inflict if an active shooter was going on... some have to practice weeks in advance before they have to requalify... quite sobering for him...

Old 06-16-2017, 08:48 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,138,519 times
I shoot at a public range where some cops shoot. On average, they are the worst shots there. Many of them struggle to qualify. To qualify they must hit a human size target at 21 feet with 10 of 20 shots. Most of the little old lady CCW holders are better shots. My wife, age 57, will remove the bullseye. My sister, age 74, will get all 20 in the torso area.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:58 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,635,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
I won't. This was at 50 feet with my most recent acquisition. A Talo Colt 1911.

And yes I did aim for that little red circle. That's not a flyer.
Nice shooting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies