Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2017, 10:16 AM

28,681 posts, read 18,811,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I don't want someone that has been waiting his entire life to use his gun in a dangerous situation to prove himself. I am going with LE rather than someone that thinks he is an expert because he went to a firing range.
The average LE has only been to a firing range. And likely not nearly as often.

Old 06-16-2017, 10:50 AM

29,510 posts, read 14,673,560 times
Quote:
I don't want someone that has been waiting his entire life to use his gun in a dangerous situation to prove himself. I am going with LE rather than someone that thinks he is an expert because he went to a firing range.
You really need to listen when people talk. Your false pretenses on firearms owners are laughable. The last thing any responsible firearms owner wants to do is draw their weapon on anything other than a target, that doesn't mean they won't hesitate to protect their or a loved ones life. To look forward to it though....certainly not , only in your mind of make believe.

Old 06-16-2017, 10:55 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,138,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
You really need to listen when people talk. Your false pretenses on firearms owners are laughable. The last thing any responsible firearms owner wants to do is draw their weapon on anything other than a target, that doesn't mean they won't hesitate to protect their or a loved ones life. To look forward to it though....certainly not , only in your mind of make believe.
Exactly. I have not shot anyone or even at anyone since combat. But I would to protect myself or family. Hope It is never needed.

Old 06-16-2017, 11:05 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post

I fear ever pulling my weapon. It only means the chit has hit the fan and got real deep real fast.

Squeeze! Squeeze! squeeze! is programmed into your reaction, you will be OK. Start jerking the trigger in panic is when you hit everything but the intended target.

Old 06-16-2017, 11:08 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,640,631 times
Quote:

People who have gone to the effort of getting their CCW are not riddled with wannabe heroes nearly as you state. Tossing that accusation out as a fact is highly annoying and more than insulting to a huge number of responsible citizens. One of the things that CCW training drives home as a primary point is conflict avoidance. When you carry a firearm for defense, you assume the obligation to retreat as it were. having to even draw your weapon, let alone use it, is to be avoided as much as humanly possible.

I f someone gets in your face, makes lewd comments about your lady, pushes you out of line whatever, your responsibility is to back down. All CCW training I have ever attended stresses that above all else. No, this isn't Deadwood. Nobody realizes that better than someone with a CCW. When you're carrying, the only conflict you can engage in had better be one where life and physical safety are on the line. Otherwise, just remove yourself and loved ones from the situation, groveling and offering platitudes and apologies needs be. That is the reality of it.

I've done this myself many times. Let downright nasty comments directed at my lady just roll off along with challenges to do something about them, taken her hand and walking away with no return commentary. The wannabe gunslingers you seem to think make up the rank and file of armed citizens are a rare animal. Cops are more likely to respond with force to a verbal assault than CCW holders. Avoidance of conflict and peaceful resolution to same so as NOT to have to use our weapon is primary over all else. Truly, cops have less restrictions on their response to a given conflict situation and face less repercussions for use of force, including lethal force, than we armed citizens do.

You would do far better to actually educate yourself on this issue before offering the commentary you have. It's pretty obvious you're operating on personal stereotypes and opinions gleaned from misinformation and personal predjudice.

Old 06-16-2017, 11:10 AM

3,869 posts, read 4,082,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
My instructor used this video for our CCW class.
Give 'em hell!

Old 06-16-2017, 11:22 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,103,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
People who have gone to the effort of getting their CCW are not riddled with wannabe heroes nearly as you state. Tossing that accusation out as a fact is highly annoying and more than insulting to a huge number of responsible citizens. One of the things that CCW training drives home as a primary point is conflict avoidance. When you carry a firearm for defense, you assume the obligation to retreat as it were. having to even draw your weapon, let alone use it, is to be avoided as much as humanly possible.

I f someone gets in your face, makes lewd comments about your lady, pushes you out of line whatever, your responsibility is to back down. All CCW training I have ever attended stresses that above all else. No, this isn't Deadwood. Nobody realizes that better than someone with a CCW. When you're carrying, the only conflict you can engage in had better be one where life and physical safety are on the line. Otherwise, just remove yourself and loved ones from the situation, groveling and offering platitudes and apologies needs be. That is the reality of it.

I've done this myself many times. Let downright nasty comments directed at my lady just roll off along with challenges to do something about them, taken her hand and walking away with no return commentary. The wannabe gunslingers you seem to think make up the rank and file of armed citizens are a rare animal. Cops are more likely to respond with force to a verbal assault than CCW holders. Avoidance of conflict and peaceful resolution to same so as NOT to have to use our weapon is primary over all else. Truly, cops have less restrictions on their response to a given conflict situation and face less repercussions for use of force, including lethal force, than we armed citizens do.

You would do far better to actually educate yourself on this issue before offering the commentary you have. It's pretty obvious you're operating on personal stereotypes and opinions gleaned from misinformation and personal predjudice.
Excellent post. As Mas Ayoob has said if you are carrying you have to ignore provocations that you would likely react to if you were unarmed, such as verbal taunts and insults, aggressive drivers flipping you off in traffic, etc. When my state was considering passing the "shall issue" concealed carry law the anti-gun crowd was predicting wild west shootouts over parking places, fender bender accidents, minor arguments, etc., etc. Well, it didn't turn out that way. Instances of concealed carry permit holders using their firearms in an irresponsible manner are extremely rare. Much rarer than agents of the state (police) using (or mis-using) theirs.

Old 06-16-2017, 11:39 AM

29,510 posts, read 14,673,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Excellent post. As Mas Ayoob has said if you are carrying you have to ignore provocations that you would likely react to if you were unarmed, such as verbal taunts and insults, aggressive drivers flipping you off in traffic, etc. When my state was considering passing the "shall issue" concealed carry law the anti-gun crowd was predicting wild west shootouts over parking places, fender bender accidents, minor arguments, etc., etc. Well, it didn't turn out that way. Instances of concealed carry permit holders using their firearms in an irresponsible manner are extremely rare. Much rarer than agents of the state (police) using (or mis-using) theirs.
Very well stated.
We can explain this to people over and over again, but they just choose to stay ignorant on the subject.

Old 06-16-2017, 11:42 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,088,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
I'm usually a real hot head except when I'm carrying. I'm the first to flip the finger when someone cuts me off or other stupid crap but it's like a switch when I'm strapped because I know what can happen. I'm probably one of the few that has actually had to pull and even though the case was tossed after 1 year it still cost me 4500 in Attorney fees. The morons that started it got off without even a warning or a penny spent.

Old 06-16-2017, 11:44 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,087,365 times
There are a variety of problems with guns in our society. One of which was highlighted by the baseball shooter, who is typical of many guns owners in America: They simply can't responsibly handle a weapon.

This guy got off how many shots? And how few hit the mark? A handful. That alone is extremely dangerous when your skills are so poor you cant even hit the target. Too many of these cowboys can't hit the broad side of a barn. So we give them weapons with multi-shot magazines just in case.

Sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies