Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2017, 10:58 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,640,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Yes, he definitely shouldn't own a firearm, but if he has never been institutionalized, never been arrested, and never convicted of a crime, how can he be prohibited from buying or owning a firearm?

Most of the recent mass shooters have flown under the radar and bought their guns legally.

I have yet to hear any method of preventing psychos from getting guns, but not infringing on the rights of non-psychos.

It's a pickle, no doubt. I personally know people who are perfectly mentally stable, responsible people overall, but have no business owning a gun because they think they know it all. All their training has come from movies. If someone takes on the responsibility of owning and especially carrying a firearm, they should get some real training and understand the capabilities and especially the limits of their firearm.

These ridiculous movies that show someone hit with a 9mm slug and flying backwards ten feet through a storefront window just make me . And accurately putting rounds on target is nowhere near as easy as it's made to look either. It takes practice to handle a weapon properly, and operating under pressure in a defensive situation makes it more problematic. A lot of people who buy a firearm for self defense just don't get it. They buy a high quality gun, all top of the line, and seem to think that the weapon will do the work on its own.

Truly, it's a difficult task to separate people like the mentally ill from good people without stepping all over the good peoples rights. If no criminal record or adjudication of mental illness is on record, a person has a right to legally purchase a firearm. The 2A has been very ignored with a lot of gun laws, particularly municipal ones such as in NYC and DC, and the only civilians who have guns are the criminal element. Gun control laws only effect honest citizens. Bans most certainly only effect the honest and leave them naked in the face of the enemy.

It's interesting to look at the numbers in these areas, where regular citizens are denied their 2A rights as compared to places that right is intact. I currently live in a semi urban area directly adjacent to a major one. a lot , and I mean a lot, of people carry both CCW and open here, and shootings are very rare. Criminals shoot each other, which is a who cares thing, but crimes involving firearms used against law abiding citizens are quite scarce. Armed robbery is very low. Violent crime is not unheard of no. It has effected me personally twice in my lifetime here. But in both cases, the bad guys lost. Badly.

Open carry was banned when the CCW laws were enacted, but has since returned. It had always been legal to open carry in NV but when the CCW laws came in the state decided that it was superfluous. That turned out to be a silly assumption and that's been repealed. Not everyone can afford the expense involved with CCW. Yea, it's not much , but 2-300 bucks is a lot of money to a lot of people. It's not unusual at all to see people carrying openly here, and very few people freak out over it or even give it notice anymore. The ones who do peak and tweak are usually CA transplants or come from some other place where gun laws are very restrictive. Ironically, where they come from often has high gun crime as well.

Someone who has armed robbery on their mind and walks into their target establishment and sees three or four guns in evidence on peoples hips has incentive to go home and re think their life. The leftist 2A haters need to do the same. They yowl about "common sense" yet don't actually apply anything close.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:01 AM

28,681 posts, read 18,811,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
It's a pickle, no doubt. I personally know people who are perfectly mentally stable, responsible people overall, but have no business owning a gun because they think they know it all. All their training has come from movies. If someone takes on the responsibility of owning and especially carrying a firearm, they should get some real training and understand the capabilities and especially the limits of their firearm.

These ridiculous movies that show someone hit with a 9mm slug and flying backwards ten feet through a storefront window just make me . And accurately putting rounds on target is nowhere near as easy as it's made to look either. It takes practice to handle a weapon properly, and operating under pressure in a defensive situation makes it more problematic. A lot of people who buy a firearm for self defense just don't get it. They buy a high quality gun, all top of the line, and seem to think that the weapon will do the work on its own.

Truly, it's a difficult task to separate people like the mentally ill from good people without stepping all over the good peoples rights. If no criminal record or adjudication of mental illness is on record, a person has a right to legally purchase a firearm. The 2A has been very ignored with a lot of gun laws, particularly municipal ones such as in NYC and DC, and the only civilians who have guns are the criminal element. Gun control laws only effect honest citizens. Bans most certainly only effect the honest and leave them naked in the face of the enemy.

It's interesting to look at the numbers in these areas, where regular citizens are denied their 2A rights as compared to places that right is intact. I currently live in a semi urban area directly adjacent to a major one. a lot , and I mean a lot, of people carry both CCW and open here, and shootings are very rare. Criminals shoot each other, which is a who cares thing, but crimes involving firearms used against law abiding citizens are quite scarce. Armed robbery is very low. Violent crime is not unheard of no. It has effected me personally twice in my lifetime here. But in both cases, the bad guys lost. Badly.

Open carry was banned when the CCW laws were enacted, but has since returned. It had always been legal to open carry in NV but when the CCW laws came in the state decided that it was superfluous. That turned out to be a silly assumption and that's been repealed. Not everyone can afford the expense involved with CCW. Yea, it's not much , but 2-300 bucks is a lot of money to a lot of people. It's not unusual at all to see people carrying openly here, and very few people freak out over it or even give it notice anymore. The ones who do peak and tweak are usually CA transplants or come from some other place where gun laws are very restrictive. Ironically, where they come from often has high gun crime as well.

Someone who has armed robbery on their mind and walks into their target establishment and sees three or four guns in evidence on peoples hips has incentive to go home and re think their life. The leftist 2A haters need to do the same. They yowl about "common sense" yet don't actually apply anything close.
I personally carry OPSEC into my private life and prefer for my capabilities to be as concealed as possible, but yours is still a good post.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:02 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,502,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Both dropped the ball ?! WTF are you talking about ? You know nothing about what we did...police involvement, school councelors , principals , etc. And they wouldn't do a damn thing, blamed all on him being a kid. Except this kid was smart enough to tell them what they wanted to here. So don't sit there and judge me you have no clue about the situation.
I got my ex institutionalized. Took photos of prescription bottles that had half a months worth of pills hidden in the bottom of the garbage can, she tried to flush them, nope made her take them in front of me or pack your bags. She tried to outsmart me too. Didn't work. Before she was institutionalized she was drug tested randomly to make sure the meds were in her system, that lasted for the first 3 months then it became once every 3 no longer random she was witty and cunning and pulled the victim card woe is me it's so difficult to schedule life around this lose time from work the whole 9 yards and tried getting me thrown under the bus as a control freak.

When the pills weren't taken and I had physical evidence bam. Off to the nut house. Sheriff's were the ones who removed her and brought her in. They had her plate number, my address, her parents address grand parents address and I gave them her friends addresses as well she could run she couldn't hide... I get all bases covered.

So yes I will sit here and judge because I get chit done.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:11 AM

5,461 posts, read 3,237,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Why do you want to own a gun? Just because I want one and it is my right? Not good enough. Establish a NEED, as many state do have on the books.

It certainly should be interesting to see the NRA response to this. I also read that this man was an out of state resident, meaning he had to take his guns across state lines, which NRA thinks should be legal across state lines. Do you favor that also? Carry permits universal across the country?

You cannot escape this issue. Gun control.
The Constitution, if you would bother to read it, does not state a NEED as a requirement.

You cannot escape this fact. Liberty.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:19 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,138,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
I often times wonder why all these "patriots" who love guns so much never chose to serve in the military? That is the ultimate sign of patriotism, and you get to shoot guns.
I guess my time in Vietnam doesn't count?

Old 06-15-2017, 11:25 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,635,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
I often times wonder why all these "patriots" who love guns so much never chose to serve in the military? That is the ultimate sign of patriotism, and you get to shoot guns.
We should do the same for freedom of speech.

Until you've served your country, you have not earned that right.

Correct, you agree, right?

Old 06-15-2017, 11:36 AM

28,681 posts, read 18,811,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
We should do the same for freedom of speech.

Until you've served your country, you have not earned that right.

Correct, you agree, right?

What's wrong with that?

American diplomat: Ya mama wears army shoes!
Confused Russian diplomat: What's wrong with that?

Old 06-15-2017, 11:39 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,115,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I guess my time in Vietnam doesn't count?
Thank you for your service as well

Old 06-15-2017, 11:41 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,640,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I personally carry OPSEC into my private life and prefer for my capabilities to be as concealed as possible, but yours is still a good post.

I don't often carry openly either. I prefer to go concealed. I don't want to make any kind of show. Someone carrying openly I generally pay little mind to. Oh, I suppose my alert level might go up if I observe their hand constantly wandering to the butt, or if they seem overly nervous and draw attention to the fact they are carrying. But I've only ever seen that once and ironically it was an armed security guard.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:59 AM

57,321 posts, read 26,245,816 times
One of the news channels was recounting the shootings and assassination attempts of presidents and other profile people last night.

Presidents Lincoln, Jackson, Garfield, Teddy Roosevelt, Franklin Roosevelt, McKinley, JFK, Nixon, Ford, Reagan. There is Bobby Kennedy, MLK and many others including this and other recent attempts.

Quite a history of violence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies