Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2017, 11:05 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,594,283 times

Advertisements

The jury has spoken. We don't have the benefit of a video here so we need to trust the jury. They heard the evidence and the testimony.

Old 06-17-2017, 11:06 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,927,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
This is true. But whose responsibility is it to change that perception?
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
In my opinion, black people.
I suppose I'm misunderstanding more than a few responses in this thread?

From the following, it appeared you were suggesting more of a '2-way Street' when it comes to these issues?

Quote:
What happened to Philando Castile is beyond tragic however I will continue to support law enforcement. They have a very difficult job and are often hated in the communities which they patrol.

The best solution would be to dial back a lot of the rhetoric and place a stronger emphasis on community policing and truly getting to know members of the community. All police officers are not the enemy. All black men are not criminals. Common ground must be found.
I think I'll just bow out, hopefully somewhat gracefully, now. So long.

Old 06-17-2017, 11:06 AM

9,509 posts, read 4,344,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
After the murder of Trayvon Martin and Tamir Rice...this doesn't surprise me.
If you can't discern the difference between this case and Trayvon Martin and Tamir Rice, you are simply incapable of making a rational assessment.

As an ex-LEO, I tend to be pro-police and give the officer the benefit of the doubt. I can find no such reason to do so in this case. The bottom line is this: There is almost nothing Mr. Castile could have done differently to prevent being shot.

Trayvon Martin had multiple opportunities to extract himself from the situation that led to his death. I'm not saying Zimmerman was blameless, but sometimes discretion is the better part of valor. Had Trayvon swallowed his pride and simply been polite and non-confrontational, he might be alive today. In Tamir's case, he simply used extremely poor judgement (as young people often do) and didn't realize how the situation would look to a police officer. Unless you are in very close proximity and looking directly into the barrel, it is very difficult to tell the difference between an airsoft gun and a real gun.

I am astounded that the officer in the Castile case was acquitted. I would love to know what the jury was thinking.

Old 06-17-2017, 11:07 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,961,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
All States are fascist.

Abolish the State, privatize everything.

I'm 100% in. Are you?
Never Happen
The Moneyed Donor Class have to much at stake

It is not the average citizen that benefits but the Large Corporations and Banks and their shareholders rigging the markets to reward themselves and punish everyone else.

It is also these same entities that fund potential presidents

Like going after people that fund terrorists, the way to change these system is to punish these Corporations and Banks that are heavy donors.

They are financial terrorists

Old 06-17-2017, 11:12 AM

3,617 posts, read 1,822,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
That is a shame you are going in this direction.

It only divided cultures and does not unite.

You will be doing things in just what you say is wrong.
Lead by example and be careful not to be a hypocrite

I fully support the BLM message. I don't support SOME of their methods used in their attempt to achieve their goals, but I do support them. What's more is it isn't even just BLM for me, it's ALL lives matter for me. There are far too many unjustified shootings by LEOs in my opinion. I believe there are also far too many escalations to use of force by LEOs.

LEOs need to get it through their think skulls that We The People are NOT their enemy. We are NOT to be treated as an enemy and they are NOT, or at least shouldn't be, at war with We The People. Their job, via their oath of office, which includes an oath to uphold the US and State Constitutions is to PROTECT everyone's rights. Yes, they need to arrest some folks. Yes there are some criminals out there. They, the criminals still have rights. Investigate crimes and arrest when probable cause exists while still respecting everyone's natural rights. That's their job.

This us (the Thin Blue Line and other members of the justice system) vs everyone else thing must stop.

Old 06-17-2017, 11:13 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,168,634 times
Quote:
This entire thread is dancing around the MAIN issue which is that black men are seen by the larger society as threatening, violent and unpredictable.
^^^^This!

Old 06-17-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
A robbery that happened four days beforehand.

He says that Castile had "a wide set nose."

I'll definitely be sending financial support to BLM from now on.

Good, because I ain't voting Republican.

The NRA supports Repubs. Where are they?

I'm now in full support of BLM, morally and financially.

As a white person, I 100% support that
There need to be consequences, legally of course for this.

Old 06-17-2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Good.
Your always a man of a few words lol

Example

Kill them

Good

Nuke Them

Old 06-17-2017, 11:16 AM

3,617 posts, read 1,822,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I'm not. I know exactly why they do not comment on these cases.
Likely because a large percentage of their membership are LEOs, retired LEOs or former LEOs.

Old 06-17-2017, 11:16 AM

4,851 posts, read 2,285,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
Juror Speaks About Decision in Yanez Trial | KSTP.com

Juror Speaks About Decision in Yanez Trial

A juror in the trial of former St. Anthony police officer Jeronimo Yanez said dash cam footage and the former officer's testimony is what led him to vote to acquit Yanez.
"I only believe he saw part of (a gun), not a full gun, but I do believe he saw part of it" juror Dennis Ploussard said.
Ploussard said he didn't put too much weight into reviewing the Facebook live video captured by Diamond Reynolds, which showed the aftermath of the shooting. However, he did focus on the footage from Yanez's dash cam video.

Ploussard also said he believed Yanez showed remorse while on the stand.

The juror said there were two hold out jurors during the deliberation process.

"I know in both their minds they thought that Yanez didn't see a gun," he said. "That was the biggest part."

Ploussard said he almost walked out of the jury room Friday afternoon, however, the two hold out jurors changed their votes.
Ploussard said he still agrees with the acquittal of the former officer, but said it was hard to see the Castile family in the courtroom.

"When I was in court and they read the verdict I didn't feel too good, because I saw the Castile family and their hurt," he said.

This is the problem. We let a cop say " well I thought I saw" , or " I was afraid " , and then anything they do then is OK.

The common citizen no longer has the right to remain alive if some idiot cop gets scared or imagines something. We have given them the right to kill us based on nothing more than if they get scared easily or have an overactive imagination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies