Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we ban immigrants from receiving welfare benefits for 5 years?
Yes! They are a burden to the tax payer and should find a way to support themselves! 52 91.23%
No! Thats Cruel! Give them all the welfare they need! Who else is going to help them? 5 8.77%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 07:52 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
“The time has come for new immigration rules that say ... those seeking immigration into our country must be able to support themselves financially and should not use welfare for a period of at least five years," Trump told a campaign-style rally in Grand Rapids, Iowa.

President Trump will ask Congress to consider a law that would prevent new immigrants to the United States from receiving various forms of public assistance for a period of five years after arriving to the country. Trump announced this on Wednesday evening at a rally in Grand Rapids, Iowa.

Im for it. I have seen the system abused over and over again.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/christ...years-n2344937
This only targets legal immigrants, not the illegals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 07:56 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,174,016 times
This legislation is Mexico's own implementation in their laws on Immigration. It would be taking a page out of Mexico's own Playbook. Many other countries have many more strict laws when people immigrate into their country.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:58 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,213,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
Good idea. If this law were on the books, over half the population of California would have to give up their freebies- illegals, and recent legals.
This is ALREADY law that immigrants have a five year period before receiving most forms of welfare and benefits. It's been law for 21 years now when Clinton passed it.

I'm assuming someone must have told him that, I believe this announcement by Trump is just to get people on board with him and get riled about something.....even though it's already law.

He'll probably find some small item to tweak so he can pass something, but it's funny everyone is so excited about something that's already here!!!

Old 06-22-2017, 07:58 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,220,852 times
Problem is that it is already on the books.

POTUS lied and you guys all took it in hook, line and sinker. Trump fish all.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:00 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,992,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
This only targets legal immigrants, not the illegals.
I'm sure he can slip some special legislation in that would get them covered also! Hopefully.....

18,470 posts, read 15,259,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
This is ALREADY law that immigrants have a five year period before receiving most forms of welfare and benefits. It's been law for 21 years now.

I'm assuming someone must have told him that, I believe this announcement by Trump is just to get people on board with him and get riled about something.....even though it's already law.

He'll probably find some small item to tweak so he can pass something, but it's funny everyone is so excited about something that's already here!!!
It's not true for certain classes of immigrants. Perhaps he wants to make it universal?

34,300 posts, read 15,664,869 times
Sponsors of legal immigrants that are sponsored by family have to sign a financial responsibility agreement that bars the immigrant from receiving government assistance. If they do the government will come after the sponsor for payment.
So yeah, why not.

17,155 posts, read 12,970,933 times
Why this obsession with immigrants and how evil and greedy they supposedly are? The majority of immigrants are hardworking people who come here to make a better life for themselves. There is constant complaining about immigrants sucking the system and not a peep about wasteful spending on defense. May I remind you that immigrants pay sales taxes, income taxes, and personal property taxes, not to mention RE taxes when they buy homes. Think about the tourism industry (you know the one Trump is disrupting because of his isolationist, nationalist attitudes). When people visit and move to the US, it brings money into our economy.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:01 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,763,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
I thought this was the law already thats why for immigration people need financial sponsors & I thought one only qualified for aid after obtaining citizenship. If its not the law, I am totally for it. I remember when I was in high school there was a new immigrant family struggling financial. Few people suggested going for aid but they refused fearing their brother who sponsored them would get in trouble.
You are correct. Sponsorship speeds up the immigration process. Sponsors are held accountable that immigrants do not go on any public assistance for 5 years. This has existed afaik since the end of WW2.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:01 AM

10,100 posts, read 6,441,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
This is ALREADY law that immigrants have a five year period before receiving most forms of welfare and benefits. It's been law for 21 years now.

Well, you know, it would be difficult for him to think up something that is actually a NEW idea to save $$$. Remember, being President is harder than he thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies