Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we ban immigrants from receiving welfare benefits for 5 years?
Yes! They are a burden to the tax payer and should find a way to support themselves! 52 91.23%
No! Thats Cruel! Give them all the welfare they need! Who else is going to help them? 5 8.77%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 08:24 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,169,313 times

Advertisements

I have no problem with it but there should be exceptions. If you escape from a war torn country and are given a chance for asylum or immigration to the US, I have no problem with giving you a helping hand with welfare benefits for a few years to help you get established.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 08:26 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Virtually no first generation immigrants who came to this country spoke English (except from England of course) and a huge number of them never learned anything more than barely passable English.

It's why everyone tended to group together initially (first generation) with people from their own countries, because no one spoke a common language.

It's second generation immigrants and onward who all spoke English, it's been this way since the founding of the country.

My ancestors from Netherlands and Sweden didn't speak English when they arrived. On my grandparents side both of them were the initial English speakers after their parents came. Their moms didn't speak any English during their lives and their fathers did learn enough to get them through the basics of life.

I have two Polish and one Greek friend in Chicago who's parents came over in the 1960's. Again, even today neither mother speaks English, they speak Polish and Greek. Their fathers did learn enough English to have functioning jobs, they both own their own businesses and work with a lot of other first generation Greeks and Polish.

Nothing different about today's immigrants than the past except they are here in the information age where social media and video pass on every encounter with someone who doesn't speak English like it's odd for some reason.

It's been perfectly natural since the founding of the country. It's selfish to demand they all learn English right away when NONE of our ancestors did.
I grew up in a Polish/ Greek neighborhood in Chicago. This neighborhood was adjacent to a German neighborhood. The first generation of immigrants most definitely did not speak English. I recall several business owners who communicated only in their native tongue, including signage.

Of course their children and grandchildren learned English, in school.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:26 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
Trump To Ask Congress To Ban Immigrants From Receiving Welfare For Five Years
Does it mean they would also be exempt from funding it for five years?

Like someone already mentioned, there is already a law which restricts welfare for immigrants. Trump needs to learn to do his homework before making these proposals public.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:30 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,843,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruready4Bklyn View Post
This is already the law, it takes about 15-20 years for a sponsorship to be accepted if it ever does get accepted. A new legal immigrant can only enter the US and even then you have to have proof a job is lined up and the sponsor is financially liable of the new migrant for the next 5 years but I guess you can't tell the gullible supporters this because then he can't have his anti-immigrant narrative.
That's what I thought.

So what is new about Trump's big proposal?

Or is he going to announce this afternoon that his proposal passed Congress and is now law. #MAGA!

Old 06-22-2017, 08:40 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,114,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
This is ALREADY law that immigrants have a five year period before receiving most forms of welfare and benefits. It's been law for 21 years now when Clinton passed it.

I'm assuming someone must have told him that, I believe this announcement by Trump is just to get people on board with him and get riled about something.....even though it's already law.

He'll probably find some small item to tweak so he can pass something, but it's funny everyone is so excited about something that's already here!!!
Apparently it's not enforced- especially in California.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:46 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,412,200 times
Exclamation and while they're at it...

'They' need to limit welfare benefits to two kids or less for taxes, medical, hud as well as food stamps.I mean, if you're gonna clean it up...then clean it up.
Koale

Old 06-22-2017, 08:47 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,886,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruready4Bklyn View Post
This is already the law, it takes about 15-20 years for a sponsorship to be accepted if it ever does get accepted. A new legal immigrant can only enter the US and even then you have to have proof a job is lined up and the sponsor is financially liable of the new migrant for the next 5 years but I guess you can't tell the gullible supporters this because then he can't have his anti-immigrant narrative.
And yet it absolutely happens.
Welfare Use by Immigrant and Native Households | Center for Immigration Studies
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...port/71517072/
We absolutely need to raise the bar on who is an acceptable applicant for immigration.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:52 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,894,490 times
What happened to all the Christian values that the right claim to have? Or the common sense for that matter.

The health and well being of just one can affect that of an entire nation if allowed to be unchecked and treated. Look back in history with the Pneumonic plague.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:52 AM

628 posts, read 695,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
So Trump wants to introduce a policy that already exists.

His accomplishments are astounding in so many ways.
Agree 100%:

Old 06-22-2017, 08:54 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,435,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
“The time has come for new immigration rules that say ... those seeking immigration into our country must be able to support themselves financially and should not use welfare for a period of at least five years," Trump told a campaign-style rally in Grand Rapids, Iowa.

President Trump will ask Congress to consider a law that would prevent new immigrants to the United States from receiving various forms of public assistance for a period of five years after arriving to the country. Trump announced this on Wednesday evening at a rally in Grand Rapids, Iowa.

Im for it. I have seen the system abused over and over again.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/christ...years-n2344937

I want to vote, but I need to know if this is for illegal immigrants (illegal aliens) or legal immigrants. There is a big difference. I am all for immigrants, and support them. I am all the way against illegal immigrants / illegal aliens. People need to know the difference. It is very ignorant to not know the difference and this cause confusion all across our country with such a highly contested issue. Legal immigrants have worked hard, and help our country. Illegal immigrants are criminals that hurt and take from our country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies