Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2017, 05:59 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
This is going to be a huge problem, especially as boomers continue to age. Most people just don't realize how expensive nursing home is or the fact that Medicare does not pay for it. I didn't know myself until some family members encountered it. It's a terrible system we have going on.

I hear pro-bill politicians saying the old and disabled won't be pushed out by Medicaid cuts but how can that be true unless there's also a law or regulation that Medicaid can prioritize the elderly/disabled and kick others off first? As far as I know, if you qualify, you get on Medicaid - who's to say the "moochers" won't be taking the space of Granny once spots get low?
It will impact everyone on medicaid, some states will feel it sooner than others. Oklahoma has cut their medicaid spending by 500 million in the past 5 years and they still have a billion dollar deficit. Look at what they are considering cutting now, yeah you are reading it right hospice and dialysis..I wonder where they will send them to die, maybe they have room for them in their jails that would be better than having people walk over them on the sidewalk

"Some of the programs and benefits being considered are pharmacy, behavioral health, durable medical equipment, the breast and cervical cancer treatment program, the waiver-funded Medically Fragile program and Program of All-inclusive Care for the Elderly, private duty nursing services, adult organ transplants, dialysis, hospice services, physical and occupational therapy, and speech, hearing and language disorder services" Drastic cuts could be coming for Medicaid patients in Oklahoma | KFOR.com

I can't believe that a majority of people in the US are in favor of taking patients off dialysis so that we can give billionaires a tax break.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2017, 06:11 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,895,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
It will impact everyone on medicaid, some states will feel it sooner than others. Oklahoma has cut their medicaid spending by 500 million in the past 5 years and they still have a billion dollar deficit. Look at what they are considering cutting now, yeah you are reading it right hospice and dialysis..I wonder where they will send them to die, maybe they have room for them in their jails that would be better than having people walk over them on the sidewalk

"Some of the programs and benefits being considered are pharmacy, behavioral health, durable medical equipment, the breast and cervical cancer treatment program, the waiver-funded Medically Fragile program and Program of All-inclusive Care for the Elderly, private duty nursing services, adult organ transplants, dialysis, hospice services, physical and occupational therapy, and speech, hearing and language disorder services" Drastic cuts could be coming for Medicaid patients in Oklahoma | KFOR.com

I can't believe that a majority of people in the US are in favor of taking patients off dialysis so that we can give billionaires a tax break.
A majority of people don't care unless it affects them---
If they or close family member aren't on dialysis and need Medicaid via the ACA or directly because they have SSI then they don't care

These people are the most hypocritical you could ever expect to meet--despite the large number of them who purport to be Christians and very religious...
They always omit the portion of Christ's teachings about taking care of the poor and outsiders ignored by mainstream society...

And OK has been a state that benefitted tremendously from the past decade's oil/gas upturn in tax revenue
OK has thousands of acres of land under o/g fields
The idea that it has such an unbalanced budget after getting so MUCH tax revenue just means something is wrong with how they plot their budget...

Texas also had lot of cuts to its budget because tax revenues have called with lower oil prices but it still has lot of money in its "rainy day fund"...which is mainly used to offset tax advantages for business--
Often businesses owned by friends of the governor (as we discovered when Perry was governor)...

Kansas finally admitted that Republican trickle down policies down work after years of running a deficit...
The legislature ignored the governor's plan finally and raised the taxes on business when had been reduced when Brownback took office...

Old 06-25-2017, 06:16 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,490,341 times
Quote:

I think it's got to be lack of awareness. The average nursing home cost is $50k/year and climbing (AARP) while apparently 1/2 of baby boomers only have $100k or less in retirement savings (Motley Fool). I mean... yikes.

Old 06-25-2017, 06:30 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Any ideas about what would happen to retirees like 90 year old Alice Jacobs of Orange, Virginia if she is forced out of her county nursing home due to proposed Medicaid cuts? For those without family..... (in the NY Times article below) She once owned a factory and horses, but her funds are exhausted.

Maybe churches would help find a place for her to live? But needing the services that a nursing home provides, that seems complicated or beyond reach.

Medicaid Cuts May Force Retirees Out of Nursing Homes

by Jordan Rau - June 24, 2017 - New York Times

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/24/s...T.nav=top-news
look at where you are getting your information. Please think this through and check with your elected officials to see how they feel about this. Medicaid was extended while Obama was in office. Medicaid for seniors in long term care with absolutely no assets has been around for decades. A lot might be cut but those in need of medicaid to live in nursing homes will not be affected.

Old 06-25-2017, 06:46 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,954,867 times
Calling the GOP plan a "healthcare bill" is truly Orwellian. More like deathcare bill.

A more accurate title for the GOP plan, Genocide of the Elderly because that is exactly what it is.

But then again, it was the elderly who mostly put Trump in office. They have no one to blame but themselves. But I do feel sorry for some of the elderly who did not vote for him. The rest get what they deserve.

Old 06-25-2017, 06:47 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times
Quote:

Good lord. You remove people from dialysis and they will be dead within a week or two. Had a friend stop his, he was dead within 10 days. Dialysis is expensive.

Old 06-25-2017, 08:16 PM

12 posts, read 5,828 times
I'm curious about is who is so brazen that they buy the latest phones, buy new cars, buy fancy homes and all kinds of fancy stuff they don't need, going out to eat in nice restaurants, never saving for the future, then look at others and start complaining, "What about me? Where's MY free government money to pay for my twilight years? Who will pay for my healthcare, my nursing home expenses? Who will pay to bury me?"

What kind of person does that?

Old 06-25-2017, 08:24 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
look at where you are getting your information. Please think this through and check with your elected officials to see how they feel about this. Medicaid was extended while Obama was in office. Medicaid for seniors in long term care with absolutely no assets has been around for decades. A lot might be cut but those in need of medicaid to live in nursing homes will not be affected.
They are not only cutting expanded medicaid. They plan to put a per capita cap on all medicaid payments to states, and they are not going to base increases to that money on the actual increases in the cost of health care, but rather the CPI +1%, so if the CPI +1 is 3% and healthcare costs increase 10% states will receive 7% less than they need just to maintain what they spent the year before, and that will get worse each year that health care costs increase because if the next year is also a 7% net decrease in federal funding now you are talking about states having to provide medicaid with 14% less in federal dollars than they did the year before. That is unsustainable, all states will be forced to make decisions about which people can be on medicaid, or they will have to severely limit the services that they can receive. So..do they kick people out of rest homes, or cut off care to disabled children? And I'm not making this up, it's in the bill

Old 06-25-2017, 08:27 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,769,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
Calling the GOP plan a "healthcare bill" is truly Orwellian. More like deathcare bill.

A more accurate title for the GOP plan, Genocide of the Elderly because that is exactly what it is.

But then again, it was the elderly who mostly put Trump in office. They have no one to blame but themselves. But I do feel sorry for some of the elderly who did not vote for him. The rest get what they deserve.
I thought it was more of the YOUNG who put him in office as he promised to bring jobs back. Or was it both and from the red color states...

THere will be a revolution....we are the 99%, they are the 1%.....remember that.

And take CARE of your own health as MUCH as POSSIBLE...then you won't have to depend on Govt.

Yes, S**T happens and I went thru a S**T experience recently but a lot we can
work on to keep ourselves in good health.

Old 06-25-2017, 08:34 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,767,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Any ideas about what would happen to retirees like 90 year old Alice Jacobs of Orange, Virginia if she is forced out of her county nursing home due to proposed Medicaid cuts? For those without family..... (in the NY Times article below) She once owned a factory and horses, but her funds are exhausted.

Maybe churches would help find a place for her to live? But needing the services that a nursing home provides, that seems complicated or beyond reach.

Medicaid Cuts May Force Retirees Out of Nursing Homes

by Jordan Rau - June 24, 2017 - New York Times

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/24/s...T.nav=top-news
If you look at Europe where nursing homes are of the past and family members have to take care of the elderly as the money goes to ... refugees!

Why is the left complaining about Trump as the left loves Europe so much so just sit tight and wait for that to happen unless we keep President Trump to avoid that from happening.

The left can keep their scare tactics and scare themselves but not smart people who have seen it in Europe and lived it.

Many Republicans know that this is true as many of them travel and have their eyes open while the left will travel to a gay parade and walk into the coffee shop to be HAPPY!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies