Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 09:08 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
lol...Dems still prefer a law written by health insurance companies and big pharma. Obamacare ends next year, not even a sniff from the Dems they have a plan to replace it. they'll lose big in 2018.
Dems prefer?

You seem sadly unaware of the fact that the ONLY people invited into the Republicans secret healthcare meetings were the insurance lobbyists.

Get your facts straight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2017, 09:10 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post

Worst of all, this isn't even really a healthcare bill. It's a tax cut for the wealthy few at the expense of the middle and working class under the false flag of "reforming" the ACA.

The Senate’s “Better Care Reconciliation Act” follows the regressive contours of the House bill: It’s a tax cut for the rich paid for by gouging coverage for the poor and the elderly.

One of the most significant tax cuts is on investment income earned by people making more than $200,000 a year. That giveaway—which, tellingly, was omitted from the summary of the bill—is made more egregious by the fact that it’s retroactive (with an effective date of December 2016), a detail that serves no purpose other than funneling extra cash to wealthy investors.

Pharmaceutical companies, insurers, and other corporations also benefit from tax cuts in the bill. (By the way, the 13 men responsible for writing it received an average of $214,000 in campaign contributions from insurance and pharmaceutical companies between 2010 and November of last year.)

Thanks for protecting us from Granny and keeping the wallets of the $200,000 plus crowd and big pharma safe. The American people can't thank Paul Ryan, Mitch McConnell, and Trump enough.
I don't know how, or why, working class Trump voters are not outraged by this massive tax cut for the wealthy and massive benefits cut for the poor. One of life's enduring mysteries is how Republicans can continue to screw the middle class and get their enthusiastic support in return.

Old 06-25-2017, 09:11 AM

3,163 posts, read 1,726,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
From THINK PROGRESS:

Just 38 percent of people polled knew the Republican health care bill makes major cuts to Medicaid...

As Senate Republicans aim to force a vote on their version of Trumpcare — a bill that was written in secret, without public hearings, despite the fact that it will reshape one-sixth of the U.S. economy and impact the lives of millions of Americans — most people have been left in the dark.

Last month, the House passed their version of the bill, which would strip health care from 24 million people, according to the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office. The bill also makes major cuts and structural changes to Medicaid, a health insurance program relied upon by nearly 75 million Americans — primarily low-income, disabled, and elderly.

The Senate version of Trumpcare goes even further, according to the draft released by Sen. Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) on Thursday, effectively phasing out Medicaid entirely.

Worst of all, this isn't even really a healthcare bill. It's a tax cut for the wealthy few at the expense of the middle and working class under the false flag of "reforming" the ACA.

The Senate’s “Better Care Reconciliation Act” follows the regressive contours of the House bill: It’s a tax cut for the rich paid for by gouging coverage for the poor and the elderly.

One of the most significant tax cuts is on investment income earned by people making more than $200,000 a year. That giveaway—which, tellingly, was omitted from the summary of the bill—is made more egregious by the fact that it’s retroactive (with an effective date of December 2016), a detail that serves no purpose other than funneling extra cash to wealthy investors.

Pharmaceutical companies, insurers, and other corporations also benefit from tax cuts in the bill. (By the way, the 13 men responsible for writing it received an average of $214,000 in campaign contributions from insurance and pharmaceutical companies between 2010 and November of last year.)

Thanks for protecting us from Granny and keeping the wallets of the $200,000 plus crowd and big pharma safe. The American people can't thank Paul Ryan, Mitch McConnell, and Trump enough.
I don't really trust the MSM to report all of this accurately. Yes, they can say that they are "cutting taxes for corporations, investors and richer individuals", but it REALLY means that the law would "ROLL BACK" the Obamacare taxes that were imposed on all of those entities, restoring to pre-ACA levels. If Medicaid is truly rolled back, it would serve the red state voters right for voting Trump in the first place- poetic justice on ice.
ACA penalized too many ppl: younger ppl, the "true" middle class, single individuals. I for one will be happy to see it go.

Old 06-25-2017, 09:21 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Due to Obama care my insurance costs have gone from $450 to $1080 a month in just 4 years. It's killing us self employed and many can no longer afford it.
If you are over 45 years old, TrumpCare will raise your monthly premium even higher than Obamacare rates. It's written specifically in the bill to raise premiums for older people. This is where the ratio of what older people can be charged is 3-1 for Obamacare. This means an older person cannot be charged more than three times the premium of a young person. TrumpCare raises the ratio to 5-1 which means older people can be charged FIVE times more than a young person. This is a large rate increase for those 45 and over. If you are in your 50s the rate increase is even higher and as you get into your 60s the rate increases even more.

Are you glad to know that TrumpCare will be raising your rates even higher than what you pay today? Unless if you are in your 20s or 30s, you will see a rate increase with TrumpCare.

Old 06-25-2017, 09:23 AM

12 posts, read 5,821 times
Don't people over 65 not only qualify for medicare, but are compelled to have medicare as a means of medical insurance? Medicaid is for the poor under 65, isn't it? So how is a 70 year old going to be affected if medicaid is cut?

Unless I am completely mistaken about the roles and differences between medicare and medicaid, I'm sensing the media might be playing on the ignorance and emotions of people.

Old 06-25-2017, 09:23 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,518,975 times
Most disgusting thing I have ever seen.

When the security were hauling those in wheel chairs outside Mitch "man of many chins" office. Heartless. If I was security that day I'd of said do your own dirty work and quit.

I heard from 2 friends overseas. Who said oh people running your country are evil. I responded they were voted in by people who are misinformed or evil and greedy.

Old 06-25-2017, 09:27 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Very passion8 View Post
Don't people over 65 not only qualify for medicare, but are compelled to have medicare as a means of medical insurance? Medicaid is for the poor under 65, isn't it? So how is a 70 year old going to be affected if medicaid is cut?

Unless I am completely mistaken about the roles and differences between medicare and medicaid, I'm sensing the media might be playing on the ignorance and emotions of people.
There are things that Medicare doesn't cover for older people - that Medicaid will. Nursing home care is one of them.

Old 06-25-2017, 09:28 AM

50,294 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
This terrifies me. And yes, it isn't Dumpf (though he certainly doesn't give a whit) its the repugs in the House and Senate. BUT it'll be Dumpf also when he signs it.

I know my son would at least try to take me in in the hopefully distant future should I live long enough to need help. He took me in when I became disabled - 2009 to 2016, that is 7 years, and he was working on his doctorate at the time (so was I, so much for that).

However sadly his wife (married last year, AFTER I had moved out) HATES me already. I shudder to think what that will progress to should I become more dependent on him than I already am in the hopefully distant future (but maybe not, with these cuts to Medicaid, I won't be able to afford my house payment any more when my premiums go up).

And just what is going to happen to people who don't have at least one child willing to take them in? Not to mention the ones who will "take (an elderly relative) in" but then abuse them, whether due to stress and frustration, lack of ability to provide the needed level of care, or just out of being mean.

Nobody cares about the elderly ALREADY. Folks are going to care even less once we've been totally run out of money and assets and nursing homes won't take us any more. You put someone in a nursing home out on the streets and they'll be dead before the door swings shut.

Yeah, turns out the death panels are real after all. Just list out every repugnican member of the house and senate and you'll know who they are.
What were people like you thinking 30 years ago? How can anyone be so clueless to play the grasshopper in the story?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_An...he_Grasshopper

Old 06-25-2017, 09:29 AM

12 posts, read 5,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
There are things that Medicare doesn't cover for older people - that Medicaid will. Nursing home care is one of them.

I learn something new every day. Thank you.

Old 06-25-2017, 09:29 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Are they on Medicaid AND Medicare?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies