Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 02:12 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times

Advertisements

Does anybody here think they will be better off with this new Act and can you tell me how?

Thank you. I just want one person to be able to tell me why this is a better deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 02:16 PM
exm

3,721 posts, read 1,780,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Does anybody here think they will be better off with this new Act and can you tell me how?

Thank you. I just want one person to be able to tell me why this is a better deal.
Read my post on the previous page. The middle class will be better off.

Old 06-27-2017, 02:19 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,959,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
I'm with you on the moral choice, but not on the cost drop argument. You mention 'other advanced nations', and I can tell you (born and raised in Europe) the horrors of European Health Care.

But moral choice: a lot of liberals are defending the poor. How about me, the middle class? I don't get any subsidies and if I would need to shop for ACA I would get an insurance with a 5 figure or close to deductible, and a 4 figure or close to monthly premium. Before ACA I had a lot more options.

THAT is the reason why the majority of Americans reject ACA, threw Dems out of the Congress/Senate and elected President Trump.

Is the AHCA the solution? No, it's a compromise. But it's a million times better than ACA.
How is AHCA a better solution? It means that young healthy people (men) will likely pay less. But that assumes they don't fall to an addiction, become mentally ill, or become ill during a period without insurance, because none of that will be covered.

Old 06-27-2017, 02:21 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Republican Health Bill Updated To Avoid Insurance Market 'Death Spiral' : NPR

Yup. Lose your job, or have something that causes you to not be able to pay for insurance for a couple months? No insurance for you for 6 months.

I understand the desired purpose, however the results will kill people. Sick people often have a hard time keeping their employment. This change will kill many of those.
What are you whining about? If you didn't buy Obama's mess in a certain time window, you couldn't buy jack all for another year. Stop the hypocrisy.

Old 06-27-2017, 02:22 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
Other nations may have ok healthcare but why do those that can afford it come here for services instead?
Certainly not all that can afford it. Plenty of well-to-do Germans, Brits etc. stay at home and receive top-notch care. But you do have a point: The US system has excelled in providing very good healthcare to the very rich. Turns out that's a fairly easy problem to solve.

Old 06-27-2017, 02:24 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times
For those who have not already seen this, this is an in-brief comparison of the plans:

Comparing the Senate health care bill to Obamacare and the House proposal - CNNPolitics.com

Actually, of the three, I am inclined to favor the current (updated) Senate bill from what I know about it so far.

Old 06-27-2017, 02:25 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,635,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
I'm with you on the moral choice, but not on the cost drop argument. You mention 'other advanced nations', and I can tell you (born and raised in Europe) the horrors of European Health Care.

But moral choice: a lot of liberals are defending the poor. How about me, the middle class? I don't get any subsidies and if I would need to shop for ACA I would get an insurance with a 5 figure or close to deductible, and a 4 figure or close to monthly premium. Before ACA I had a lot more options.

THAT is the reason why the majority of Americans reject ACA, threw Dems out of the Congress/Senate and elected President Trump.

Is the AHCA the solution? No, it's a compromise. But it's a million times better than ACA.

to be fair if the Republicans did not spend the last 6 years ensuring your rates went up instead of allowing Obama to fix ACA there would be no problem, but then the Rs would not have had the rally point they needed to get elected.

The Rs spent six years blocking Obama from adjusting, repairing the fledgling ACA. Nor did the republicans come up with solutions or fixes themselves.
Instead they worked day and night to make it fail, and missed no chance to attack it, to sue or do whatever they could to ensure their electorates would see ACA as a failed or broken promise.

And frankly it worked, the Rs threw America under the bus to get elected to office and it worked. Better yet they closed down government, blocked expanded medicaid, blocked funding and even changed the name of ACA in a number of states to hide its successes from those who received them.

thinks about that? the Republican invented ACA , Obama stole the idea and ran with it, so the Republicans hated him and did everything they could to break it. Now they are using this GOP created hardship as an excuse to defund public healthcare and give a huge tax break to the very wealthy.

As to the EU, sorry buddy i have a solid 20 years in the EU, i know two healthcare systems very well and one in passing. They are very strong , very cheap and if you are middle class and european most nations have systems to allow you to pay a little more and get much faster service and nicer rooms too. I know because i did it. And most of my middle class friends , family etc did it too. But yes the poor in the EU may sometimes wait longer, and may even lose out if they are not proactive. But they are covered and every single EU nation has much cheaper coverage than the USA and you KNOW that is 100% true. your bang for the buck in the EU is vastly better than the USA. VASTLY.

And remember in the EU the systems that are not working very well are not working because their government are choosing not to fully fund them. Not because the system is broken, and those underfunded systems would still be much cheaper if fully funded. the EU has a funding issue not a structural issue, i think you already knew that though...

Old 06-27-2017, 02:25 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,488,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
What are you whining about? If you didn't buy Obama's mess in a certain time window, you couldn't buy jack all for another year. Stop the hypocrisy.
What do you mean by this... If you lose employment, you have a special period for buying a health plan on the individual exchange outside of the normal open enrollment period. With this amendment, if you don't buy insurance for 2 months +, they force you to wait 6 months when you do finally apply.

Old 06-27-2017, 02:28 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,808,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Certainly not all that can afford it. Plenty of well-to-do Germans, Brits etc. stay at home and receive top-notch care. But you do have a point: The US system has excelled in providing very good healthcare to the very rich. Turns out that's a fairly easy problem to solve.
I knew a well-to-do German who had a quadruple bypass in Lexington, KY because his wait at home was longer than he wanted.

Old 06-27-2017, 02:36 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,959,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
I knew a well-to-do German who had a quadruple bypass in Lexington, KY because his wait was longer than he wanted.
I'm sure that you do...

Just so you know, Germany uses a multi-payer system with a mix not for profit providers, employer based and private insurers. And 76% of people can get next day appointments there compared to 48% in the US.
Here's the back-up.

Another fun fact: The US employs coronary bypass surgery at a rate nearly 10 times that of other countries, but has a one year mortality rate that is nearly identical.
Mortality Statistics on Bypass Surgery

And that took five seconds of searching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies