Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 03:10 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,661,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
Why are these people not buying COBRA once they leave an employer until they are firmly set into another job? These are not the people who are qualifying for Medicaid obviously. Savings are meant for situations just like that. If you have medical issues already you should be proactive in your own situation and not expect the government to bail you out.
Do you know how expensive COBRA is? It's way, way up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 03:18 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,639,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
It's not bull****. It happens all the time with Europeans. Americans go abroad for lower costs (e.g. IVF treatment), Europeans go abroad for quicker access to care, and better quality care.

I removed the bold headlines, but I figured I know where you stand now.

Signed, an European expat.
EXM, BULLXXXXXX and you know it.

I have bought and paid for INSTANT access to top quality care in the EU. I have used cash money to skip all queues and i have had insurance that does the samething.

There are hundreds of private Hospitals throughout europe, my guess is you were never sick when you had a few bob in the EU and incorrectly believe that these options don't exist.

If you live in the netherlands you can go to a private hospital today and lets pretend magically you could not are you going to tell me that they closed the private wings in the UK, Germany Ireland, France etc last week?

Or are they there right now filled with well insured eu citizens and residents .... my guess is they are still there catering to those who want that level of service.

Why are you pretending this is not real EXM? I have family there right this second, one who is being treated by a consultant for a heart problem, she never waits, the hospital is beautiful and shiny and she pays less insurance than i do... I wonder why you want to pretend the EU lacks healthcare options?

hmm...

Old 06-27-2017, 03:24 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
Quote:
Read my post on the previous page. The middle class will be better off.
Thank -- i appreciate that. I will go find it.

Old 06-27-2017, 03:26 PM

Lots of discussion on Republican input for Obamacare....here's something to clarify.

Gutierrez says 'hundreds of Republican amendments' were a part of Obamacare | PolitiFact

Old 06-27-2017, 03:28 PM

I have to say -- I don't have a problem with Republicans leaving the Democrats out. BUT -- Trump then can't Tweet about the Democrats obstructing and not willing to work with the Republicans.

Also -- if they can't come up with a reasonable act among themselves -- don't blame Obama, Clinton, Democrats.

This is in the hands of the Republicans right now.

Old 06-27-2017, 03:30 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,639,515 times
Quote:

Let me give you a real-life example (I lived the first 30 years of my lives in The Netherlands).

• Let's say your stomach has been bothering you, and you can't pinpoint the pain
  • You have to go to your primary care physician first, so you call to make an appointment.
  • PCPs are overwhelmed so you'll have to wait 4-6 weeks for your appointment
  • You go in, and the PCP has 10 minutes at most to spend with you. If the PCP deems it's nothing serious, he'll send you back home. That's it. If you're lucky and get a referral, you'll need to go to the referral he'll give you. No options.
  • You call the referral doctor, have to wait another 4-6 weeks
  • Let's say for argument sake you need non-critical surgery you'll be placed on a waiting list which is months. If you're a rich European you'll go to the .... United States for surgery.
Also:

• Yearly physicals? Blood tests? As a fair skinned person, Dermatology checkups? Doesn't exist.
  • A friend of mine in NL fell down and he was in significant pain. The ER refused to look at him and they booked an emergency PCP appointment for the next day. The PCP determined he broke his wrist and send him to the hospital. The hospital only had availability the next day. So he had to walk around with a broken wrist for 2 days
Some examples of great European care. Is that what you want in the United States?
now i dealt with the first part early... so

OK, your example is perfect thank you so much.

You talk about access, wait times, etc.

easy fund your system. Many EU governments have cut back funding since the great recession. (thanks Bush) get your funding back in place and this can be resolved. And what is more you know i am right. YOU know i am 100% bang on target here.

The healthcare systems in the EU that have high wait times are simply not being funded, just as the USA has neglected its bridges many EU nations have cut pay, reduced investment etc to bridge the tax income gaps.

It is real issue and one that needs to be addressed. But your friend clearly did not have extra insurance like most middle class Europeans do, and you know this but leave it out to pretend the EU system is awful.

Old 06-27-2017, 06:57 PM
exm

3,723 posts, read 1,782,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
I will look at this part first. Maybe the Democrats should have involved the Republicans in 2009?

lets see.

note the bolded bit. it is a historical fact that the REPUBLICANS got to make 161 amendments to the final ACA bill cira 2009. If you want to argue and pretend the number is fake, fine lets say 61 I will drop 100 off the real number to preempt any rubbish over what the number is.

Now i have 100% PROVED you are completely wrong ref including the Republicans in ACA. Your side helped craft it and then were afriad to go on record as voting for it. Yourside were allowed real input .

Will you admit it? Nope never you will either pretend not to have seen this post or you will try to shift to some tangential argument and pretend you meant something else. My guess is you will pretend not to have seen this post.

THIS QUOTE SHOWS EVEN THE GOP SAY THEY GOT 29 substantive changes made to ACA. So i ask you Do you admit you have been lied to by your own GOP party?

False. Source : Gutierrez says 'hundreds of Republican amendments' were a part of Obamacare | PolitiFact

Old 06-27-2017, 07:02 PM
exm

3,723 posts, read 1,782,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
EXM, BULLXXXXXX and you know it.

I have bought and paid for INSTANT access to top quality care in the EU. I have used cash money to skip all queues and i have had insurance that does the samething.

There are hundreds of private Hospitals throughout europe, my guess is you were never sick when you had a few bob in the EU and incorrectly believe that these options don't exist.

If you live in the netherlands you can go to a private hospital today and lets pretend magically you could not are you going to tell me that they closed the private wings in the UK, Germany Ireland, France etc last week?

Or are they there right now filled with well insured eu citizens and residents .... my guess is they are still there catering to those who want that level of service.

Why are you pretending this is not real EXM? I have family there right this second, one who is being treated by a consultant for a heart problem, she never waits, the hospital is beautiful and shiny and she pays less insurance than i do... I wonder why you want to pretend the EU lacks healthcare options?

hmm...

Okay, so you are rich. Yes, being rich will give you the access you need even in Europe.

But now you're complaining that the poor people in the US don't have the proper care, similarly to Europe?

Listen my friend, I have most of my family and all my friends living back in NL. They are doing pretty well (middle class+?), but I can give you multiple examples how terrible HC in the Europe is. And I've personally experiences the European System, The pre-ObamaCare American System and the the ACA. By far the pre-ObamaCare system worked the best. They simply had to add more low-income folks to Medicaid and that's it. No, leave it to the liberals.

Anyway, you're talking to an European American with 30 years of experience living in Europe, and multiple relatives/friends living abroad. I'm sure you know better. Oh wait, I forgot - you had the money to get whatever insurance you like. Lucky you.

Old 06-27-2017, 07:05 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,490,037 times
Is it possible you both had different experiences because of regional differences? Quality of healthcare is also very different here on that basis.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:43 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,521,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Republican Health Bill Updated To Avoid Insurance Market 'Death Spiral' : NPR

Yup. Lose your job, or have something that causes you to not be able to pay for insurance for a couple months? No insurance for you for 6 months.

I understand the desired purpose, however the results will kill people. Sick people often have a hard time keeping their employment. This change will kill many of those.
So....I guess we should go back to fining those that can't afford health insurance instead?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies