Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 03:35 PM

1,645 posts, read 1,213,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
As a gun owner myself...

You wouldn't allow a car or any other potentially dangerous or harmful piece of machinery to someone without a test to prove they understand it's operation I don't see why you wouldn't do the same for a firearm.

I also do not see why anyone would be in opposition of making gun owners responsible for where their firearms end up.

Gun control shouldn't be about taking guns away, it should be about adding a layer of responsibility and giving people the proper safety precautions.

Do you check every piece of clothing that you own on a daily basis, or check ever piece of jewelry, or every piece of silverware that you have? Or do you check that all of your good china is intact and no chips or cracks in it every day?

If a person has a gun safe and already has more than 1 firearm in that safe. They are not checking on a daily basis the inventory of that gun safe.

So yes it is reasonable to have a firearm owner report a firearm stolen once they realize that it was stolen. But unless they take a daily inventory of their firearms it could be weeks or months before a person realizes that a gun was stolen.

And what part of the gun already being inside a locked house is not securing the firearm properly?

A gun is an object, it can do absolutely nothing with out someone else acting upon it. There is always a person at the other end pulling the trigger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 03:39 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,993,683 times
Every owner of a building that posts .........Gun Free... should be sued to the max by anyone who gets shot while in it.

If you want to proclaim it is ...Gun Free.......then the burden to prevent anyone from entering with a gun should be on you.

Old 07-13-2017, 03:45 PM

50,245 posts, read 47,005,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigby06 View Post
Do you check every piece of clothing that you own on a daily basis, or check ever piece of jewelry, or every piece of silverware that you have? Or do you check that all of your good china is intact and no chips or cracks in it every day?

If a person has a gun safe and already has more than 1 firearm in that safe. They are not checking on a daily basis the inventory of that gun safe.

So yes it is reasonable to have a firearm owner report a firearm stolen once they realize that it was stolen. But unless they take a daily inventory of their firearms it could be weeks or months before a person realizes that a gun was stolen.

And what part of the gun already being inside a locked house is not securing the firearm properly?

A gun is an object, it can do absolutely nothing with out someone else acting upon it. There is always a person at the other end pulling the trigger.
This is a great point. My gun was in my locked house. How in any way, shape or form should I be responsible for the POS that broke in and stole it. The equivalent is you have to take the battery out of your Corvette and lock it into a fully metal garage or else you are liable if someone steals it and kills someone on a joy ride or robbery. If you are on vaca for a month you can't be liable for reporting your stolen car if you don't even know it's been stolen.

Old 07-13-2017, 04:07 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,557,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
As a gun owner myself...

You wouldn't allow a car or any other potentially dangerous or harmful piece of machinery to someone without a test to prove they understand it's operation I don't see why you wouldn't do the same for a firearm.

I also do not see why anyone would be in opposition of making gun owners responsible for where their firearms end up.

Gun control shouldn't be about taking guns away, it should be about adding a layer of responsibility and giving people the proper safety precautions.
Interesting. So do you want to be responsible for your car in an event that a terrorist stole it and drove it into a crowd?

Nobody should be held responsible for that. That's completely asinine.

Now if you knowingly give your gun or car to the said terrorist, you should be responsible.

Old 07-13-2017, 04:49 PM

2,953 posts, read 992,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
You need a permit and a background check to exercise your freedom of speech and we will limit what words you can use. Unless you are of a privileged few that can pay a 200 dollar tax and have documentation of that prohibited word to be used. And limit the words used to pre 1986 only and create a registry of the words,
That future is now. We're seeing the speech suppression and thought modification of Orwell's 1984. So actually that's the past's hypothetical dystopian future which we thought we had avoided ... but we didn't. The 'progressives' (what an example of Newspeak) managed to slowly modify our standards so that much of society now accepts the perverted idea that words are more dangerous than actions and therefore certain types of words and speech are not to be tolerated. Speech control is of course the precursor to thought control which is a natural part of the leftist ideology which is all about re-engineering society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87
I'm being as serious as a heart attack here. Why the incessant fear of guns? Apply that logic to everything else that this country stands for we become Maos China, Stalins Russia, Castros Cuba...
They fear what they don't understand and since much of America has become a bunch of soft neutered urbanists guns are something completely outside of their frame of reference. You also have to factor in the globalist theme that runs through the progressive dogma. They detest what they consider to be anachronistic 'quirks' of American culture like gun ownership which is actually a fundamental part of our national historical roots and cultural psyche. That means nothing to them though. They can't figure out why we are stubbornly NOT Sweden or Canada or Australia even though our 230 yrs of history screams out the answer. And since in their hypocrisy they can't stand the idea of national cultural diversity they want to stamp out those differences to achieve their globalist progressive utopia.

Old 07-13-2017, 04:55 PM

57,227 posts, read 26,178,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigby06 View Post

I don't think you need to worry about someone using jewelry to murder someone. There are 200,000 guns lost or stolen each year so obviously there are many careless gun owners. I see was in Memphis recently and they passed a law that people are now allowed to possess loaded guns in a vehicle, you can guess how well that turned out.

200,000 guns disappearing each year is most definitely a problem, people take better care of their cell phones.

Old 07-13-2017, 05:31 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,112,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I don't think you need to worry about someone using jewelry to murder someone. There are 200,000 guns lost or stolen each year so obviously there are many careless gun owners. I see was in Memphis recently and they passed a law that people are now allowed to possess loaded guns in a vehicle, you can guess how well that turned out.

200,000 guns disappearing each year is most definitely a problem, people take better care of their cell phones.
Most states allow carrying loaded guns in vehicles. Show me where that has made anything worse. I carried a loaded hunting rifle in the 1960s. I know there are at least 28 states that allow loaded guns in vehicles.

Old 07-13-2017, 05:56 PM

1,645 posts, read 1,213,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post

I would be the first one to report if one of my Guns was stolen, as soon as I knew about it.

If you are not required to inventory every single item that you own and a daily basis, then me as a Gun owner should not be required to inventory every single firearm that I own, or may own, especially if I were to own more than 1 firearm.

I would report a firearm to be lost/stolen as soon as that information is made available.

I don't check my safe daily for it's inventory, Do you check your Jewelry box daily for all of it's contents?

Old 07-13-2017, 06:01 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,284,124 times
It should be illegal to purchase 1000 round cases of ammo and get it delivered to your front door. It's very back breaking work for the UPS guy.

Old 07-13-2017, 06:05 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,557,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
It should be illegal to purchase 1000 round cases of ammo and get it delivered to your front door. It's very back breaking work for the UPS guy.
They have dollies.

If weight is an issue, all products over certain weight should be illegal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies