Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2017, 01:58 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
Why are there speed limits again?
I cannot figure that out yet, except for the city monopoly to make revenue off those that break their laws.
Reckless driving and riding your horse recklessly, has always landed you in the jail cell.

Old 12-14-2017, 01:59 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Post their appointment dates. I’m curious now.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ajit_Pai (January 23, 2017)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brendan_Carr_(lawyer) (August 11, 2017)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_O%27Rielly (November 4, 2013)

Old 12-14-2017, 02:00 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,833,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Not to be word or grammar police, but RAM has nothing to do with internet access.

You are paying for what is called bandwidth and often is more complicated than people realize. People cannot even understand the difference between Mbps and MBps - bit and bytes!

There is a lot to it. Also, consider that in most places the hardware simply cannot handle what people want to do with it. That is, if you have the entire city wanting to watch 4K (soon it will be 8K) TV while others in the house also do their thing, there simply is not enough capacity.

I've been into HAM Radio, CB, Internet and related stuff since the 1980's - and I don't (and won't) own a 4K TV. When I watch Amazon Prime I usually turn down the bandwidth to the middle setting - can't tell the difference at all.

Anyway, this WH and the GOP are in the pockets of big business. Build the Swamp Up. What do you expect?
My comment was in the context of the comment it was a reply to... I know how the internet works and what net neutrality is, I have been a software engineer going on a decade at this point.

Old 12-14-2017, 02:01 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,586,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I cannot figure that out yet, except for the city monopoly to make revenue off those that break their laws.
Reckless driving and riding your horse recklessly, has always landed you in the jail cell.
Why should the government regulate reckless driving? If you drive recklessly and kill someone maybe their family will come back and kill you and your family as revenge. And then you will have learned your lesson not to drive recklessly.

Old 12-14-2017, 02:03 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Wrong. DT and his supporters have literally turned America's internet into a style more akin to China's now with their Great Firewall. That is the dystopian reality America now faces which absolutely makes a mockery out of everything the US is supposed to stand for in the first place.

China and Russia could even pay now Comcast to promote news websites with views that are more aligned to what they think and throttle opinions from American dissenters on our own soil. This sh*t is utterly moronic and infuriating.

Obama gave the internet away.
Trump is trying to get it back.

Old 12-14-2017, 02:03 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,904,543 times
Quote:
Gave it away to who?

Old 12-14-2017, 02:04 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times
Quote:
"get it back" - to whom? ISPs? Yes.

Consumers? LOL...no.

Are you an ISP? Or do you work for one?

1,350 posts, read 2,300,458 times
Quote:
a) switch to the provider that meets your demands the best
Switch to what? What other providers? There are no other providers. There is no healthy marketplace, telecoms have successfully blocked other entrants into the market by having local governments grant them franchisees or land use right of way.

Consumers are screwed

7,447 posts, read 2,833,471 times
Net neutrality rules are a restriction on the ability of ISPs to throttle, censor, and/or control the content and speed of content you are able to consume on the internet. Period. Anyone who says anything else is either ignorant or more likely intentionally LYING to you.

Old 12-14-2017, 02:05 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
You are not entitled to make up facts. This from WIKI.
Commissioners
The FCC is directed by five commissioners appointed by the President of the United States and confirmed by the United States Senate for five-year terms, except when filling an unexpired term. The U.S. President designates one of the commissioners to serve as chairman. Only three commissioners may be members of the same political party. None of them may have a financial interest in any FCC-related business.[3][7]

Name Position State of Residence
Ajit Pai Chairman Kansas Republican
Mignon Clyburn Commissioner South Carolina Democrat
Brendan Carr Virginia Republican
Michael O'Rielly New York Republican
Jessica Rosenworcel Connecticut Democratic
Other than Carr, all were at least initially appointed by Obama. Pai was originally appointed by Obama for five years. Trump nominated him for a second term. Rosenworcel was also appointed by Obama for five years. Then selected again by Obama until Trump nominated her for another term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies