Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 10:19 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,804,194 times

Advertisements

I have a feeling that Trump spent more time talking to Putin in Russia then he did working on health care. That bromance is ever so much more fun then boring health care isn't it? "I'm not going to own it." What kind of ridiculous crap is that? Kudos to the decent Republicans that put their constituents needs first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 10:23 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,274,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Well he invited the 52 republican senators to the White House for lunch today, maybe they make amends.
I think it may be too little too late for many of those senators. Trump tweeted out a lot of insulting remarks. They are not all as subservient as McConnell.

"...This may come as news to you but most senators have a pretty high opinion of themselves. (Yes, it's true!) They don't like being told they aren't doing their jobs right -- especially by someone, in Trump, who has not exactly lit the political world on fire in his first six months in office. And the paternalistic "I'll fix everything for you" isn't going to go over all that well either....

...Take it out of the context of politics. Imagine your boss, who hasn't been terribly involved in a project you are spending 24/7 on, suddenly swoops in right after a huge setback and says something like: "You guys need to come see me. You botched this. I'll fix it."

Donald Trump's Senate lunch is going to be awkward - CNNPolitics.com

Old 07-19-2017, 10:25 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Trump has nothing to do with this. It is the responsibility of the Congress to present a bill for him to sign. President Trump has never threatened to veto anything.
Trump appears eager to put a check mark after his promise to repeal/ replace And move on.

He does not seem particularily concerned or remotely interested in understanding what or the impact.

His campaign promises " to replace Obamacare with something that will take care of everybody and the government is going to pay for it" will haunt him.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:30 AM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Good points.

There is a fundamental disconnect between what the rank and file voter-supporters want and what the donor class wants. It is like two separate parties under one name.

It is the pundits job to keep the voters in line, like border collies pushing the crowd along.
There has always been a disconnect between the voters/supporters and what the donor class wants. In this case, however, the donor class is getting more powerful. Trump has even admitted to being part of the donor class.
Articles: Trump and the Rise of the Donor Class

Feel free to correct me. This is my theory. Most Presidents were recipients of the donor class. Trump IS the donor class. He has a history of being a very corrupt business man. There are likely members of the Republican Party who understand that getting more voters, being a better party, means toning down incendiary rhetoric, being more civil, expanding the voter base. And then there are those who feel free to keep the voting base as it is. And then there is Trump, who has alienated many people, and doesn't really care. What many don't understand is that now the donor class is at war with one of its own.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:34 AM

46,970 posts, read 26,018,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Trump has nothing to do with this. It is the responsibility of the Congress to present a bill for him to sign.
The bully pulpit, it's a thing. Part of the President's job is to work with Congress to avoid this sort of repeated, humiliating defeat. He's not supposed to lean back and wait for something to pop up to sign, he's supposed to be able to mediate, get congressmen in line, offer sticks and carrots both.

But you're saying the author (hah!) of "The Art of the Deal" couldn't close the deal? Are you beginning to realize that you've been had?

Old 07-19-2017, 10:35 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
He is also the guy who retweeted a tweet from a Neo-Nazi site that had falsified statistics about Black crime, which also listed a source that doesn't exist. Then he went and said "I don't check my sources". Anyone who doesn't check their sources scares me.
Then there was Kellyanne's remarks about the massacre in Bowling Green that never happened. When media called her out on it, she claims she misspoke. Then it comes out she misspoke about the alleged massacre to three different media, over time.

Everything Kellyanne says is calculated. It's propaganda. When called out, the admin relies on the fallback of the fake news spin.

6 months in and this crap is getting old.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Hard to say.

Trump has been a BSer his entire life. Whether he believes what he says or not, he acts as if he thinks everyone else does.
And he's been able to get away with it too.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Then there was Kellyanne's remarks about the massacre in Bowling Green that never happened. When media called her out on it, she claims she misspoke. Then it comes out she misspoke about the alleged massacre to three different media, over time.

Everything Kellyanne says is calculated. It's propaganda. When called out, the admin relies on the fallback of the fake news spin.

6 months in and this crap is getting old.
I didn't know about that. Then again, I don't watch the news. I'm already prone to getting depressed. Anyway, I didn't know about the whole Kellyanne lying.

Propaganda is a good word to describe much of the rhetoric these days.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:53 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
He is also the guy who retweeted a tweet from a Neo-Nazi site that had falsified statistics about Black crime, which also listed a source that doesn't exist. Then he went and said "I don't check my sources". Anyone who doesn't check their sources scares me.

Not to worry, he's also said "I don't stand by anything".

Old 07-19-2017, 10:56 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Hard to say.

Trump has been a BSer his entire life. Whether he believes what he says or not, he acts as if he thinks everyone else does.

And those who worked for him acted as if they did, or else. That's a luxury he no longer enjoys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies