Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 03:45 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,596,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Or run away like the coward he is when the fallout begins, like he did with the House's healthcare bill. He threw a kegger in the Rose Garden to celebrate his "great win" but when the CBO scoring and the negative fallout from what the bill actually contained began he suddenly did a 180 and suddenly his "great win" of a bill became "mean."

Trump will take 100% credit for everything he deems to be good and ZERO responsibility for anything not good, even if what is now "bad" was previously declared "good" by him just days earlier. He has no moral center whatsoever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Pretty much.

Imagine how eager House members will be to work with Trump in the future.

What many us have been predicting and expecting, has now emerged as the only course of action the Republican Congress can take and survive. That is, to turn and accept the willing cooperation from the Democrats, to fashion legislation that will provide a good healthcare program and also the many other things that are in urgent need of being done.

They don't need Trump for much of anything. He can be shoved to the side with the Democrats on the team, by forming a veto-proof majority. They can also cancel most of his executive orders, with that same majority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 03:50 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,274,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Isn't Trump supposed to be some great negotiator? Why can't he get the right let alone both sides of the aisle on the same page for the betterment of our great country?
He's not a 'diplomatic' negotiator like Bill Clinton. He's a 'bully' negotiator and his negotiating only works when he can set up the parameters in his favor and those that he is negotiating with are intimidated by him.

Congress is not intimidated by him. Most of them are either bashing him or laughing at him behind his back.

A joke can't negotiate. He literally has nothing with which to threaten anyone. Tweets? The only people who follow him are his cult. The rest do not take him seriously.

Old 07-19-2017, 04:08 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Your post is insulting beyond acceptance. Most of what I said was true before Trump ever entered the pictured. We had a traitor in the White House. He is still causing trouble.
Most of what you said, including silly things like "We had a traitor in the White House" and "He is till causing trouble" is nothing but opinion I happen to disagree with. No truth in either statement.

We're 6 months in, about time Trump and his lackeys accepted the fact they're responsible now, no one else.

Old 07-19-2017, 04:45 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,916,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I'm 31 years old and I've never been to NYC. I never knew how much of a corrupt businessman he was until he ran for President. I knew he had 4 bankruptcies, so I figured he might not be responsible enough to be this nation's President. I didn't know how corrupt he was.
I lived on Long Island for 19+ years, the guy had his issues but he was mostly teflon Trump. Luckily this was pre-social media.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
What many us have been predicting and expecting, has now emerged as the only course of action the Republican Congress can take and survive. That is, to turn and accept the willing cooperation from the Democrats, to fashion legislation that will provide a good healthcare program and also the many other things that are in urgent need of being done.

They don't need Trump for much of anything. He can be shoved to the side with the Democrats on the team, by forming a veto-proof majority. They can also cancel most of his executive orders, with that same majority.
The problem is to the far-right, compromise is a dirty, dirty word. Remember how Sen. Lee, Cruz and Paul were during the government shutdown or how McConnell was during Obama's terms? They don't even know the meaning of the word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
He's not a 'diplomatic' negotiator like Bill Clinton. He's a 'bully' negotiator and his negotiating only works when he can set up the parameters in his favor and those that he is negotiating with are intimidated by him.

Congress is not intimidated by him. Most of them are either bashing him or laughing at him behind his back.

A joke can't negotiate. He literally has nothing with which to threaten anyone. Tweets? The only people who follow him are his cult. The rest do not take him seriously.
He is a joke, I can't ever vote for him. I didn't even vote in the primary for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Most of what you said, including silly things like "We had a traitor in the White House" and "He is till causing trouble" is nothing but opinion I happen to disagree with. No truth in either statement.

We're 6 months in, about time Trump and his lackeys accepted the fact they're responsible now, no one else.
Eh, not really. The only reason I say Trump is indeed responsible is because Trump has thrown up his hands and is trying to blame Republicans who put constituents first, not party first and Democrats who were not even in the discussion. As much as I may not like Sen Lee policy, I applaud that unlike his friends Lyin' Ted and Stupid Paul, he had the back bone to be a no vote even when his party needed that vote. Trump owns this because it won't be settled, even if Obamacare ends in a death spiral. Blood is on his hands.

Old 07-19-2017, 05:34 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,640,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
The GOP has been dragging their feet for years out of fear from the Obama regime and then they all bought in that Hillary was going to win so they would once again be fighting to keep their jobs while keeping their heads down for the next 8 years.

They still seem to be running scared that Trump might be sent packing due to some over blown Russian conspiracy thing that no one wants to appear to be on Trumps side to suffer the collateral damage.

The Dems are dragging their feet until 2018 and probably will until 2020 in a "Not my President" stance.
The Reps are dragging theirs out of fear that they will somehow be implicated.

They all oppose Trump when they should be getting together and helping him to pen something good for all of America.

I see, it is everyone's fault EXCEPT Trump. ie the guy who looks like he was accepting the help of a foreign enemy to subvert our electoral process... that guy. The guy who is on video and audio declaring who he sexually assault innocent women.. that guy.

yeah, TRUMP is great and every other government employee , elected and appointed is simply out to get him.

next you are going to tell us trump did not lie when he said he had a great healthcare plan already to go day one.... that all it needed was the i's dotted and the t's crossed...

hmm, where is that plan, nobody appears to have seen it yet... but i guess 7 months and day one are about the same...

Old 07-19-2017, 05:54 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,558,965 times
Talking "Nobody knew..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
I see, it is everyone's fault EXCEPT Trump. ie the guy who looks like he was accepting the help of a foreign enemy to subvert our electoral process... that guy. The guy who is on video and audio declaring who he sexually assault innocent women.. that guy.

yeah, TRUMP is great and every other government employee , elected and appointed is simply out to get him.

next you are going to tell us trump did not lie when he said he had a great healthcare plan already to go day one.... that all it needed was the i's dotted and the t's crossed...

hmm, where is that plan, nobody appears to have seen it yet... but i guess 7 months and day one are about the same...
It's complicated.

Old 07-19-2017, 06:13 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,103,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post

Maybe a member of the team of investigators he sent to Hawaii to inspect Obama's birth certificate can find it.

Old 07-19-2017, 06:21 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,703,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Well he invited the 52 republican senators to the White House for lunch today, maybe they make amends.
Yeah, great idea. Then basically threaten them if they don't pass it. Betcha they left snickering about trump's empty threats - they are as good as his empty promises.

Old 07-19-2017, 06:24 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,703,840 times
Well, I just sent my senator an email asking him to vote NO on the repeal only, and then to step across the aisle and work with the other side to come up with something that is better.

Old 07-19-2017, 07:18 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,385,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
The man (Trump) wants to be a 'winner'. He will sign anything they do so he can call it a win. The heavy lifting is done in the houses of Congress. It is literally beyond Mr Trump's ability to contribute to this endeavor in any meaningful way.

Mr Trump is not really concerned about good legislation, or taking care of the citizenry, he cares about Donald Trump. He wants congress to hand him something he can take credit for.
No, it's not. The bully pulpit of the Presidency is still a powerful mind-changer whenever a President fully commits to an issue and throws his full support behind it.

A strong President who comes into the office with definite goals and objectives that he is intent on accomplishing has two tasks ahead; the first is to convince his own party to get behind them, and then the second is to do as much as he can do to shepherd those plans through Congress.

Many have done it. That's how Eisenhower pushed through the Interstate highways, and that is only one example. While we take them for granted now, Ike saw the strategic defense need for interstates and how much they would grow the nation after seeing the Autobahn in Germany during the war.

At that time, very few others in or out of Congress saw that need. And the Interstates were going to be ghastly expensive. Just to get his own party behind the idea of spending so much on roads took Ike every ounce of his high popularity and all his skills as a speaker and an organizer to get the bill passed.

It was a very long and bitter fight, and the program was very compromised before it was finally passed. Ike didn't live long enough to see the system completed, but died with the assurance that it would be, even though the progress was far slower than he wanted.

And that single program changed American lives drastically, right up to this moment, almost as soon as it began. Once it began, Congress had the wisdom to see it through.

Trump has never stayed out in front, leading the way, on any proposal he ever made. He has never done it in private life, and will never do it in public life. He doesn't know how. And his party has forgotten how to do it too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies