Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 05:55 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,702,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
That's silly. There are other differences. First, t's a different state with laws that may be different in some relevant respects. But the big difference is that the kids in Florida did not put the drowning man in danger. If they'd thrown him in the water, then they'd have had a duty to get him out, and they could have been guilty of first-degree murder if they didn't. The prosecutors in PA are alleging the fraternity members did something equivalent, i.e., that they put the pledge in danger and had a legal duty to help him out.
What about the moral duty? Do we no longer acknowledge there is one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2017, 05:58 PM

24,003 posts, read 15,096,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
That's silly. There are other differences. First, t's a different state with laws that may be different in some relevant respects. But the big difference is that the kids in Florida did not put the drowning man in danger. If they'd thrown him in the water, then they'd have had a duty to get him out, and they could have been guilty of first-degree murder if they didn't. The prosecutors in PA are alleging the fraternity members did something equivalent, i.e., that they put the pledge in danger and had a legal duty to help him out.
I should have been more clear. i was thinking of the indifference to a human in peril. Not who put them in harm's way

Old 07-24-2017, 06:39 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,329,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
According to prosecutors they will see if this law will be something a jury will convict them for.

It sounds logical that if you know someone is death, that you need to report it.
The laws about reporting a death are for like if you're mother was collecting Social Security checks and she died, but you continued to cash her checks and you didn't report the death. Like you have to commit another crime in order for that law to kick in. People need to stop reaching at this point. It's a waste of money to punish kids for being a-holes. They broke no laws. At some point, let it go and move on with life.

Old 07-24-2017, 08:03 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,017,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
The laws about reporting a death are for like if you're mother was collecting Social Security checks and she died, but you continued to cash her checks and you didn't report the death. Like you have to commit another crime in order for that law to kick in. People need to stop reaching at this point. It's a waste of money to punish kids for being a-holes. They broke no laws. At some point, let it go and move on with life.
How do you know what the intent of the law is??
You are wrong about "they broke no laws" too.

Sounds like a law every state should have. If you know of a death, that is someones child.
Human decency to alert authorities.

Old 07-24-2017, 08:14 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
How do you know what the intent of the law is??
You are wrong about "they broke no laws" too.

Sounds like a law every state should have. If you know of a death, that is someones child.
Human decency to alert authorities.

Apparently posters here know more than the prosecutors who said they were charging them with not reporting a death.

Old 07-25-2017, 07:30 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,318,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I pretty much had no parents at all, and I can't believe this. Empathy isn't something I was ever taught, it's just how my brain is wired naturally - as is everyone's who doesn't have a clinical personality disorder.
Most people learn empathy through osmosis - seeing adults behaving in a manner which begets empathy and kindness.

Old 07-26-2017, 05:04 AM

9,471 posts, read 10,812,644 times
Disgusting human beings. I agree with those who say no law was broken and no charges should be filed but that does not mean I don't think these kids are pigs. What is wrong with our society? How can you watch a man die and not at least call 911 instead of laughing and videoing the death. It's obvious why many Americans dislike the youth of today.

Old 07-26-2017, 10:34 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,472,117 times
Just heard of this story . Sick and disgusting .
How can there be such value for human life ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies