Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 09:31 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
The society is the victim of everything we do here! That's crazy talk.

Failure to notify should not be a crime otherwise all of us are guilty.
All of us have witnessed the death of a person and never reported it?

That's what the misdemeanor is about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2017, 09:34 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,930,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I agree.
I think those teens are at the very least evil little effers who I hope rot in hell, but I don't know that I can advocate a LAW that says you must help anyone you see in need.

What is need?

How far do you have to go to help them?

How much danger is too much danger (for you and for them)?

Stuff like mandatory reporting of suspected child abuse is one thing. But just anyone who MIGHT be in danger...I mean, do you assess that AFTER the person has died? "Oh, yeah, he really DID need help. You're going to jail now."

Might help things if we just brought back public shaming.
Public shaming, or, as in quasi-religious-speak, 'shunning' is trending. Sometimes it's even about who a person loves. Crazy-a$$ human beings.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:38 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,703,315 times
I hope that misdemeanor report goes onto their records so it won't be forgotten. And I hope that when they look for jobs and the employers do background checks, they get their punishment over and over. Maybe that's the only punishment they will get but at least it's something. Laughing while watching someone drown is more than sick.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:39 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Yes. One should pull one's self up by the bootstraps...even when one is drowning. It's his own fault for not being prepared.
It is his own fault because nobody pushed him!

It is not to say that it is right for the person to sand by and watch him die.

It is also not right to say the bystander who didn't push the victim is now guilty of something.

Not the same thing.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:44 AM

31,086 posts, read 22,101,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I hope that misdemeanor report goes onto their records so it won't be forgotten. And I hope that when they look for jobs and the employers do background checks, they get their punishment over and over. Maybe that's the only punishment they will get but at least it's something. Laughing while watching someone drown is more than sick.
They really lack respect for human life and have no empathy. I'm not sure that respecting life and having empathy for others can be taught?

Old 07-22-2017, 09:53 AM

115 posts, read 96,303 times
Shameful. The judge in this case is sending a strong message to the teens involved. If these teens don't feel remorse at some point in their lives, Heaven help them.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:56 AM

23,566 posts, read 17,241,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Heartbreaking. Statement from the victim's sister "If they can sit there and watch somebody die in front of their eyes, imagine what they're going to do when they get older. Where's the morals?" The teens told the cops they were out there smoking weed.
was it the weed or the culture?

weed lowers the legal age of reason, once the legal age of reason is reached.

legalizing weed apparently takes away the sting of real life and erases remorse.

Law without a moral base that comes from family and church is virtually ineffective as the people obey laws they would never break even if there were no laws. and then the people who do the crime pay no attention to the laws.

Culture centric problem the law can never solve by itself.

So much for secular dominance.

Old 07-22-2017, 10:04 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,017,051 times
Disgusting human beings. They're this young and already exhibit sociopathic tendencies. I know there are no good samaritan laws in FL, but what about reporting the crime since the body was found three days later!

Imagine it, these grotesque punks watched a man die, continued their little party, didn't care one iota for what they witnessed, then uploaded the video to social media. The whole time they just acted as though it was like America's Funniest Home Videos.

There is no defending, excusing or understanding what these kids did. This was just utterly brutal. Even if they couldn't and didn't have any legal obligation to save the man, they've could've called 911 in the very least. I know that probably wouldn't have saved the guy but still.

Old 07-22-2017, 10:28 AM

24,005 posts, read 15,096,054 times
Many years ago people watched from their apartment windows as a woman named Kitty Genovese was brutally killed. Nobody called the cops.

NYC was stunned. All kinds of studies were done to determine the cause of inaction.

One study put a group of strangers in a small waiting room, like a doctor's office. Then they pumped smoke into the room to see what would happen. Nobody moved. They were all waiting for somebody to speak first.

I witnessed the same behavior as DH were walking in a crowed park. we came upon an elderly man collapsed unconscious at a picnic table. DH called 911 as I started CPR. Then all kinds of people came running. Even a nurse.. But they all saw him and ignored him until somebody else did something.

IMO, if just one of those kids had responded there would have been a totally different outcome.

There is a difference between legal and moral.

Old 07-22-2017, 11:26 AM

8,505 posts, read 4,567,713 times
These kids are despicable garbage. They have zero common decency and compassion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies