Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 12:04 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,072,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Many a person has drowned trying to help someone else drowning. The 1st victim will latch onto you and pull you under too.
Dialing 911 would have put no one in danger. Instead these sociopaths watched and laughed. Again, I hope their names are leaked. The public has a right to know who these sociopaths who are walking among us are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 12:04 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,137,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
This is one of those tough philosophical questions...these guys acted like horrible human beings, or possibly sociopaths, but is it truly a crime to NOT do something?

Obviously you want to punish them or have some type of consequences for letting someone die, but strictly looking at it logically, I don't necessarily think it should be law.

If you say it should be a crime to not help someone, where does that logic end? If someone else is putting themselves in danger, jumping in a lake, running into traffic, driving drunk, taking too many drugs...you're mandated to step in and punished as a criminal if you don't? I see some major red flags there.

I think it's an interesting and important conversation either way.
I think if there's imminent danger where death is absolutely guaranteed if no one helps, there should be a law to at least call for help to the best of your ability.

Those garbage teens were clearly not doing that.

Old 07-21-2017, 12:05 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,365,659 times
They had a moral duty to rescue. Not legal one. And there are reasons why the legal one would be far more complex then folks realize. Especially with drowning. Id guess that less then 5% of the population has any training in saving someone drowning.

But the moral duty to act? To even call for help? Oh yeah, these folks failed that. There are horrible people everywhere.

Old 07-21-2017, 12:06 PM

50,267 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Dialing 911 would have put no one in danger. Instead these sociopaths watched and laughed. Again, I hope their names are leaked. The public has a right to know who these sociopaths who are walking among us are.
True, if they even had cell signal but in the amount of time it typically takes LE to get anywhere he'd still be dead and it would be a recovery.

Old 07-21-2017, 12:12 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,072,175 times
Quote:
True, if they even had cell signal but in the amount of time it typically takes LE to get anywhere he'd still be dead and it would be a recovery.
So don't even make the call and try? Stand there and laugh at him as he is drowning instead?

No, I'm sorry, but there is no excusing this complete lack of empathy for a fellow human being. These kids are horrible people. I don't think there is any getting around that.

Old 07-21-2017, 12:21 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
They had a moral duty to rescue. Not legal one. And there are reasons why the legal one would be far more complex then folks realize. Especially with drowning. Id guess that less then 5% of the population has any training in saving someone drowning.

But the moral duty to act? To even call for help? Oh yeah, these folks failed that. There are horrible people everywhere.

Absolutely. I guess people aren't taught moral responsibility these days.

Old 07-21-2017, 12:29 PM

33,535 posts, read 37,132,711 times
Quote:
Many a person has drowned trying to help someone else drowning. The 1st victim will latch onto you and pull you under too.
More have actually risked their lives to save people from drowning....This story is a bit to close for me, as I watched my father drown when I was eleven...He couldn't swim, but that didn't stop him from trying to save my friend who had fallen into the river.....I can't imagine how anyone could sit by and do nothing....That is inexcusable.

Old 07-21-2017, 12:35 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Quote:
Juveniles or not, I hope their names get outed. People have the right to know who these sociopaths in the making are.
Not me. While clearly sick, depraved mother-****ers that I have no good word so for, I am not in favor of requiring private citizens to attempt to rescue others or naming them with attempt to shame when they choose not to.

Old 07-21-2017, 12:41 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
So don't even make the call and try? Stand there and laugh at him as he is drowning instead?
Pot heads will giggle at anything, even at a drowning man.

Old 07-21-2017, 12:42 PM

19,836 posts, read 12,096,528 times
Quote:
psst...they had cell phones to call 911 but they were busy using them to record this man's death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies