Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2017, 09:45 PM

31,086 posts, read 22,101,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
So they just filmed it? That's psychopathic! At least go get help!
What do you bet that not one of these kids that watched the guy drown had a father who raised him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 09:58 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,329,280 times
there shouldn't be any misinterpreting of laws for this. Lots of people trying to trying reach here. While the kids are a-holes...they did nothing illegal.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:22 PM

37,111 posts, read 41,292,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
True, if they even had cell signal but in the amount of time it typically takes LE to get anywhere he'd still be dead and it would be a recovery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
It makes them sicker and more disgraceful, but it doesn't change the ultimate picture IMO. Now, it would be a different thing if these people actively impeded rescue efforts or the such, but that didn't happen. No, they just didn't actively help or attempt to help. Simply put, their laughing and video did not cause or contribute to the man's death.
We do not know whether aid was close by or not. If it was, then not calling 911 did contribute to the man's death.

No one should be compelled to render aid if doing so would expose him to risk of injury or death.

Not attempting to call for aid when the means is available to do so is despicable.

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 07-21-2017 at 11:26 PM..

Old 07-21-2017, 11:18 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,598,766 times
You can't punish people for not doing something (unless you're Obama and it's buying health insurance). I love rescue, but not everyone is like me. They were probably under the influence of something or they would have at least called the cops. If they were sober, then they are trash but not criminals. Or, perhaps they were afraid that the cops would come and shoot them like they did to the aussie lady.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:33 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,145,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
You can't punish people for not doing something (unless you're Obama and it's buying health insurance). I love rescue, but not everyone is like me. They were probably under the influence of something or they would have at least called the cops. If they were sober, then they are trash but not criminals. Or, perhaps they were afraid that the cops would come and shoot them like they did to the aussie lady.
It's not the last reason. If they were decent people who were just afraid of cops shooting them, they'd at least not laugh at the poor dying man.

Old 07-22-2017, 05:57 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
You mean like Obamacare?

Anyway, I would think saving a drowning guy would be "basic human morals".
Yes, trying to save a fellow human is the basic human morals; so is not forcing people to do the same.

Old 07-22-2017, 06:07 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
But, thank GOD there are people out there who don't feel this way. Many are alive today because someone felt responsible enough to rescue them. Thank GOD for those people who felt responsible enough to save a dying child who was left in a hot car. I can't imagine what this society would be like if nobody ever feel responsible enough to lend a helping hand, not to mention to save a life. I mean we think things are bad now.
Nobody has the legal or moral obligation to save anybody. People do that out of kindness.

Old 07-22-2017, 06:10 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,765,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Nobody has the legal or moral obligation to save anybody. People do that out of kindness.
You separate kindness from morality?

Old 07-22-2017, 06:28 AM

16,283 posts, read 10,424,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
What duty did they have to report it? They didn't cause the man to drown or have any direct involvement in the actions that led to his death. The teens were merely in the wrong place at the wrong time. Your position requires a belief that all citizens have a duty to provide services to any other person in an emergency situation without their consent, absent any compensation and with a lack of indemnification from potential liability. If I see someone driving the wrong way on a freeway, do you think that I have a duty to save them from potential harm and should be subject to criminal penalties if I don't?
What a fine human being you grew up to be. This story as well as some of the comments here are nothing short of disgusting. I would think if they saw a motorist driving the wrong way most everyone would at the very least know to call 911. You obviously would simply go get a cup of coffee and ignore the tragedy that is sure to follow. Mom must be so proud of you.

Did those teens have a "duty" to do something, anything, to help that man? Of course they did, amazing you do not understand this. It is called being a human, not a wild animal with no soul or moral compass. They could have done any number of things such as call the police, yell for help, actually help by going into the water. Instead they recorded and enjoyed watching a man die.

Old 07-22-2017, 06:32 AM

73,041 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
My first thought was what environment they grew up in. I would almost guarantee there was abuse or neglect that led to them never developing empathy.
Well, if said persons grew up in the ghetto, this would likely be the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies