Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 09:25 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,018,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
You can just look at YouTube, there's thousands of post demonstrating this type of behavior. Thats what happens when you have kids running wild and no father to be found.
Not ideal, but I have seen some fine people that were raised by a single mom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2017, 09:27 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,018,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
According to prosecutors they will see if this law will be something a jury will convict them for.
It's a misdemeanor so I doubt there will be much but a slapped wrist.

Old 07-23-2017, 05:21 AM

16,283 posts, read 10,424,652 times
The more I thought of this story the more I thought about the parents of these boys. What are they teaching them? Do they have the same "not my responsibility" attitude? I was actually relieved to read the police Chief saying they were very upset universally. How do you face the fact that you raised a young man who not only felt no reason to help he laughed and obviously enjoyed the sight of a man dying, then showing no remorse later? How can you not feel as if you failed as a parent?

Old 07-24-2017, 07:29 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,322,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
So don't even make the call and try? Stand there and laugh at him as he is drowning instead?

No, I'm sorry, but there is no excusing this complete lack of empathy for a fellow human being. These kids are horrible people. I don't think there is any getting around that.
And film it in the process. Truly disgusting. These people are the feces in the bowels of society.

Old 07-24-2017, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Easy for you to say if you're not currently in the position of needing either. Tough talk at the keyboard does not necessarily translate into reality.
Exactly.

I do not understand how one can not have the empathy or wherewithal to place themselves into a situation and ruminate on how they would want to be treated...or a loved one for that matter.

Is it really that difficult to treat others with compassion and a basic level of human respect????

Old 07-24-2017, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
And so was the victim, a man who was engaged to get married.
He was disabled too.

Old 07-24-2017, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
You can't punish people for not doing something (unless you're Obama and it's buying health insurance). I love rescue, but not everyone is like me. They were probably under the influence of something or they would have at least called the cops. If they were sober, then they are trash but not criminals. Or, perhaps they were afraid that the cops would come and shoot them like they did to the aussie lady.
Incorrect.

People get punished for not having car insurance.

People get punished for not rendering aid.

People get punished for not wearing seat belts.

People get punished for not having their cars inspected.

People get punished for not taking care of their children.

People get punished for not reporting a death.

Old 07-24-2017, 07:47 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times
I think that, as a kid, I would've called the cops instead of recording a person drowning.

They were high as kites, though, so I'm not sure if they truly thought this man wasn't going to save himself.

Who knows?

Once the pot wore off, they might've thought they should have at least dialed 911.

It's sad that the man died, very much so. But, if Florida has no law requiring people to aid others, they didn't break the law.

Yes.... the recording sounds callous, absolutely. But, did they have malicious intent? I don't know. I'm not them.

Old 07-24-2017, 07:52 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I think that, as a kid, I would've called the cops instead of recording a person drowning.

They were high as kites, though, so I'm not sure if they truly thought this man wasn't going to save himself.

Who knows?

Once the pot wore off, they might've thought they should have at least dialed 911.

It's sad that the man died, very much so. But, if Florida has no law requiring people to aid others, they didn't break the law.

Yes.... the recording sounds callous, absolutely. But, did they have malicious intent? I don't know. I'm not them.

I think when you're talking about how the guy is going to drown and you're laughing, your intent isn't benevolent.

And we know they only violated a law that results in a misdemeanor charge, but we're talking ethics and morality here.

Old 07-24-2017, 07:55 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I think when you're talking about how the guy is going to drown and you're laughing, your intent isn't benevolent.

And we know they only violated a law that results in a misdemeanor charge, but we're talking ethics and morality here.
Did they actually think he would drown, though? Or were they too high to comprehend what they were seeing?

I don't know. I'm not them.

I do think they should have called 911. I don't think they should've hopped into the pond because that could have resulted in one of them being killed by a drowning person who was trying to save himself.

I just think we can all play armchair judge all day long and we'll never know EXACTLY what each of those kids were thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies