Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 06:30 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,584,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Several years ago the NFL made an agreement with the U.S. Armed forces that the players would stand for the anthem, and flag. It is purely a workplace conduct issue. Now the players are putting political content into their end zone celebrations. As I said before, that is fine if the league tolerates it. I won't. I was their customer, and they are losing a lot of customers, and revenue.
I'm surprised you're more up in arms about a bunch of strangers silently abstaining from a show of faux nationalism than the government pissing away your tax dollars on getting the league to put on the show in the first instance.

Old 10-18-2017, 06:54 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,922,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
I'm surprised you're more up in arms about a bunch of strangers silently abstaining from a show of faux nationalism than the government pissing away your tax dollars on getting the league to put on the show in the first instance.
Some folks seem to be acting (& often very emotionally acting) as if the Trump Administration is just a continuation or sequel to his Reality TV Show, it's disheartening for those who're more reality-based.

Old 10-18-2017, 06:59 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,807,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
My thoughts exactly.

Why the hell are we using tax dollars to pay football players to salute the flag?

We're cutting funding for Meals on Wheels yet paying the NFL to put on shows of faux patriotism?

Who thinks this is a good idea?

Old 10-18-2017, 07:04 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Some folks seem to be acting (& often very emotionally acting) as if the Trump Administration is just a continuation or sequel to his Reality TV Show, it's disheartening for those who're more reality-based.

Unfortunately that "some folks" includes the President.

Old 10-18-2017, 07:05 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,172,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
I responded several pages and over 24 hours ago.
No you did not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
There have been 656 NFL players arrested 870 times since the year 2000. In a league of 1596 people not only is it excessive it's more or less been accepted by the league. These numbers don't count the numerous other time's incidents are swept under the rug like they never happened. And, don't say they don't because it's well known that it does happen. It's not just black players either. It's the league as a whole.
Moboy32 already took you to task on this post. Not much more to be said about your fail of an argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
well it is your right to be an ignoramus
Talk about irony.

Old 10-18-2017, 07:47 AM

524 posts, read 251,977 times
So, according to Wikipedia, take it as you will..Francis Scott-Key..the attorney who wrote the poem which became the Star Spangled Spangled Banner and then the National Anthem was an anti-abolitionist.

From Wikipedia:
"Key purchased his first slave in 1800 or 1801 and owned six slaves in 1820.[15] Mostly in the 1830s, Key manumitted (set free) seven slaves, one of whom (Clem Johnson) continued to work for him for wages as his farm's foreman, supervising several slaves."

"Key used his position as U.S. Attorney to suppress abolitionists. In 1833, he secured a grand jury indictment against Benjamin Lundy, editor of the anti-slavery publication, the Genius of Universal Emancipation, and his printer, William Greer, for libel after Lundy published an article that declared, "There is neither mercy nor justice for colored people in this district [of Columbia]". Lundy's article, Key said in the indictment, "was intended to injure, oppress, aggrieve, and vilify the good name, fame, credit & reputation of the Magistrates and constables" of Washington. Lundy left town rather than face trial; Greer was acquitted.[21]
In August 1836, Key agreed to prosecute botanist and doctor Reuben Crandall, brother of controversial Connecticut school teacher Prudence Crandall, who had recently moved to the national capital. Key secured an indictment for "seditious libel" after two marshals (who operated as slave catchers in their off hours) found Crandall had a trunk full of anti-slavery publications in his Georgetown residence, five days after the Snow Riot, caused by rumors that a mentally ill slave had attempted to kill an elderly white woman. In an April 1837 trial that attracted nationwide attention, Key charged that Crandall's actions instigated slaves to rebel. Crandall's attorneys acknowledged he opposed slavery, but denied any intent or actions to encourage rebellion. Key, in his final address to the jury said:
"Are you willing, gentlemen, to abandon your country, to permit it to be taken from you, and occupied by the abolitionist, according to whose taste it is to associate and amalgamate with the negro? Or, gentlemen, on the other hand, are there laws in this community to defend you from the immediate abolitionist, who would open upon you the floodgates of such extensive wickedness and mischief?"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Scott_Key

Old 10-18-2017, 08:13 AM

1,700 posts, read 1,045,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Objective Detective View Post
So, according to Wikipedia, take it as you will..Francis Scott-Key..the attorney who wrote the poem which became the Star Spangled Spangled Banner and then the National Anthem was an anti-abolitionist.

From Wikipedia:
"Key purchased his first slave in 1800 or 1801 and owned six slaves in 1820.[15] Mostly in the 1830s, Key manumitted (set free) seven slaves, one of whom (Clem Johnson) continued to work for him for wages as his farm's foreman, supervising several slaves."

"Key used his position as U.S. Attorney to suppress abolitionists. In 1833, he secured a grand jury indictment against Benjamin Lundy, editor of the anti-slavery publication, the Genius of Universal Emancipation, and his printer, William Greer, for libel after Lundy published an article that declared, "There is neither mercy nor justice for colored people in this district [of Columbia]". Lundy's article, Key said in the indictment, "was intended to injure, oppress, aggrieve, and vilify the good name, fame, credit & reputation of the Magistrates and constables" of Washington. Lundy left town rather than face trial; Greer was acquitted.[21]
In August 1836, Key agreed to prosecute botanist and doctor Reuben Crandall, brother of controversial Connecticut school teacher Prudence Crandall, who had recently moved to the national capital. Key secured an indictment for "seditious libel" after two marshals (who operated as slave catchers in their off hours) found Crandall had a trunk full of anti-slavery publications in his Georgetown residence, five days after the Snow Riot, caused by rumors that a mentally ill slave had attempted to kill an elderly white woman. In an April 1837 trial that attracted nationwide attention, Key charged that Crandall's actions instigated slaves to rebel. Crandall's attorneys acknowledged he opposed slavery, but denied any intent or actions to encourage rebellion. Key, in his final address to the jury said:
"Are you willing, gentlemen, to abandon your country, to permit it to be taken from you, and occupied by the abolitionist, according to whose taste it is to associate and amalgamate with the negro? Or, gentlemen, on the other hand, are there laws in this community to defend you from the immediate abolitionist, who would open upon you the floodgates of such extensive wickedness and mischief?"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Scott_Key
Surprised this wasn't used as ammunition for the pro kneeling side of the argument. If this can be validated the pro kneeling side could call for the removal of the National Anthem. I am seeing some movement regarding removing everything related to George Washington, still a very quiet movement, but so was the Confederate Flag issue at one point.

NBA
What is going on in the NBA? Hearing some snippets about players linking arms, but I don't think anyone has kneeled. Lebron James, one of the most popular player wear shoes that said equality on it. I think it is safe to say that NBA players are more likely to be liberal, along with the fans and coaches. So I am surprised that the whole kneeling thing started in the NFL and not the NBA.

Old 10-18-2017, 08:17 AM

524 posts, read 251,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peequi View Post
Surprised this wasn't used as ammunition for the pro kneeling side of the argument. If this can be validated the pro kneeling side could call for the removal of the National Anthem. I am seeing some movement regarding removing everything related to George Washington, still a very quiet movement, but so was the Confederate Flag issue at one point.

NBA
What is going on in the NBA? Hearing some snippets about players linking arms, but I don't think anyone has kneeled. Lebron James, one of the most popular player wear shoes that said equality on it. I think it is safe to say that NBA players are more likely to be liberal, along with the fans and coaches. So I am surprised that the whole kneeling thing started in the NFL and not the NBA.
Exactly. So much ignorance and hypocrisy regarding this matter by meat-headed sports fans and phony patriots it is disgusting.

Old 10-18-2017, 08:57 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
You are stating the issue incorrectly. It is a common practice to fire employees if the employees engage in or comment an act that is inappropriate for the position or company or places the company in a bad light. We see this every day. In the case of the NFL players they are employed to play football. They decide to engage in an action not only during their employment but clearly during the Flag and National Anthem, Clearly they should be fired based on established employment law. Yes they can protest on their off time.
Well, that's not up to you is it? You aren't the boss of the players or owner of an NFL team.

End of story.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:02 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
So you don't think Lebron James has worked hard at developing his natural talent to get where he's at? Do you think of successful white men as being "privileged in a country that has given them everything?" Or is it only blacks that should be grateful we LET them be successful? I didn't know there was a rule that rich, successful people are not allowed to complain about things. Good to know because maybe we can use that to shut Mr. Trump the f*ck up. He's the one who started this whole damn controversy. No one hardly knew or cared about six black athletics kneeling before he made a big deal about it and I'm quite sure he did it to get even with the NFL over an old feud. To harm them as much as possible because he's that vindictive and petty.

It certainly it said an awful lot about how 'grateful' they should be. Concern about kneeling - falls largely amongst racial lines.

Yes, the greatest VICTIM of all time is a billionaire with gold toilets currently in our White House.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Good.

Kneeling is a form of respect. It was respectful protest. People who claimed it was disrespect simply disagreed on the issue. The whole thing was pathetic and shows that many people only want free speech upheld for some but not others.

It really was a non-issue.

It actually was about as respectful as any protest can be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
this has gotten SO old, just another deflection on tRump's part to deflect on his failures. I don't care if players stand, kneel or flip the flag the bird. It's time to move on. Meanwhile, healthcare is at a standstill, no federal budget, a tax plan to hugely inflate the deficit, no progress on North Korea, Iran, the list goes on. But tRump wants to talk about football. He's beyond ridiculous.
Indeed there is a method to his madness. Why do you think he's still tweeting about it - even this morning?

Keeps his base happy and focused elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies